Sponsored

Falken Wild Peak M/T 295/70/17 or 33s SNOW Impressions

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Drove them in the snow today. Very pleased. Stopping and starting in 4H no problems. Climbed the 6-7 degree hill to my house with no problems. Ejected snow from the big lug treads with no problems. Colorado Springs does not really plow roads. Feel free to add your tires and how they drive in the snow.
Sponsored

Saltine713

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon JT
Occupation
Legal
OLD Muds will be horrible in the snow. You probably had new snow that wasn't packed yet, which pretty much acts like mud/sand and the M/T aren't too bad on. However, with more packed snow, I wouldn't trust them at all.

Did you run at factory-rec PSI?

I've driven the JT on M/T in pure powder snow and it was wonderful!

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
The tires have about 3K on them. I was set to 36 PSI and due to the 7 degree temps I was at 32-34psi

OLD Muds will be horrible in the snow. You probably had new snow that wasn't packed yet, which pretty much acts like mud/sand and the M/T aren't too bad on. However, with more packed snow, I wouldn't trust them at all.

Did you run at factory-rec PSI?

I've driven the JT on M/T in pure powder snow and it was wonderful!

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I can say I have driven bias ply white walls on a 53 Buick in the snow....talk about lead sled.
Felt like Doc Hudson. All about that drift.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Drove from Crested Butte to Denver yesterday, then to work this morning on the Falken MTs. I'd say they did _okay_ but not stellar. To @Saltine713's point, they did fine on new snow, but were not at all confidence inspiring on packed roads or where the plow had come by and just smeared the snow into a nice ice layer. The KO2s that I had on my JLUR were way more confidence inspiring on the slick stuff.

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I'l give em a go again this afternoon. wait for the daily commute to turn things to a hard packed mess.
I know nothing compares to my 95.5 URS6 Avant.
That thing defied the laws of physics.

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Well, our snow is pretty much gone. This morning was fine. It was hard packed. One bit of ice caused a small side step. But I didn't bother with 4wd today. Granted, I'm doing 30-40.
Have not done highway or anything.

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
I found the Falken MTs to drive fine on snow, snow packed roads. Didn't find them sketchy or any different than most of the tires I've had mounted on my various vehicles that did not have dedicated winter/snow tires. I watched trucks in front of me spin their tires on the icy underneath the snow. No such issues with my Mojave.

We'll see how it does when the more snow falls and I start skiing this season. But based on how they felt the other day, I think they'll be just fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Same. Waiting for the lifts to start running. That will be the true test, snowboard season. I think Wolf Creek is open already.

I found the Falken MTs to drive fine on snow, snow packed roads. Didn't find them sketchy or any different than most of the tires I've had mounted on my various vehicles that did not have dedicated winter/snow tires. I watched trucks in front of me spin their tires on the icy underneath the snow. No such issues with my Mojave.

We'll see how it does when the more snow falls and I start skiing this season. But based on how they felt the other day, I think they'll be just fine.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I hope that the JT is a little better weight-balanced front-to-rear than most pickups due to its 4-doors and short bed. My wifes JKU drives well in slippery conditions and I'm hopeful that the JT does as well. Glad to hear the OEM tires are holding up. I have considered some dedicated winter tires, but haven't found one that matches the rubicon-spec'd size that is a true ice/snow tire (blizzak for example).

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I hope that the JT is a little better weight-balanced front-to-rear than most pickups due to its 4-doors and short bed. My wifes JKU drives well in slippery conditions and I'm hopeful that the JT does as well. Glad to hear the OEM tires are holding up. I have considered some dedicated winter tires, but haven't found one that matches the rubicon-spec'd size that is a true ice/snow tire (blizzak for example).

I feel it is well balanced. It's one person's opinion, but I did not have to weigh down the bed. I'd imagine 80 pounds in my sea bag would be adequate...but I have not had the need.
I was sensible with my throttle. Did I intentionally kick the rear out a few times? Yes. I found that it corrected easy. I may play with this more during the next snow.

Last edited:

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I've heard that the JLU is 50/50 and the JT is somewhere in the 51/49 to 52/48 range so still pretty balanced compared to a lot of pickups.
Sponsored