Sponsored

No trail rails but I found a way to mount mesh bed storage bags… does this look like a decent move?

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
I don’t have trail rails. I don’t think I need them. After owning a Tacoma for 6 years I never really used the bed rails for more than mounting mesh storage bags in the bed with a camper shell.

I’m going to eventually get a tonneau with a Yakima overhaul hd rack. The trail rails cost don’t justify the use for me.

here is what I did to mount my bags in the bed. Do you see any potential problems? Obviously, this isn't a place to tie down cargo, but for storage bags, anyone see any issue? Especially with stainless fasteners?

Bonus content... Tacoma bed mats fit pretty well in the JT's. i could trim a bit at the wheel wells, but its good enough.

Jeep Gladiator No trail rails but I found a way to mount mesh bed storage bags… does this look like a decent move? CdUOgr2

i used stainless m6x1.0 eye bolts. I tapped out the bedliner and used antiseize to keep them from getting stuck in there if I need to get them out. Was this necessary?

Jeep Gladiator No trail rails but I found a way to mount mesh bed storage bags… does this look like a decent move? 6nN9Dvv

Jeep Gladiator No trail rails but I found a way to mount mesh bed storage bags… does this look like a decent move? wbPm5DT

Nite iz sbiner clipls to attatch
Jeep Gladiator No trail rails but I found a way to mount mesh bed storage bags… does this look like a decent move? e2zv0Fc
Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Looks good. Whatever works!

OP
OP
cgm

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
Looks good. Whatever works!
I guess my real qustion is, are the threaded part in the bed steel or aluminum? If its aluminum, my understanding is that it will corrode and cause problems. will the stainless react weirdly with the treads in the bed?

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I guess my real qustion is, are the threaded part in the bed steel or aluminum? If its aluminum, my understanding is that it will corrode and cause problems. will the stainless react weirdly with the treads in the bed?
I would bet they are steel nuts welded behind the bed panel.

Sponsored

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
I like this idea Chris!

Reactions: cgm

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Personally I wouldn’t do it that way but if it works it works

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The advantage of rails is the load is spread out across all the attachment points. There is a risk of damage if the load is high on a single point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cgm

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
Personally I wouldn’t do it that way but if it works it works
is there anything you would do differently to mount the storage bags? I realize that these are not heavy duty points to secure loads
The advantage of rails is the load is spread out across all the attachment points. There is a risk of damage if the load is high on a single point.
yup, i will only use the eye bolts for light loads. the rails would be ideal, but the eye bolts are only for the cargo nets

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
is there anything you would do differently to mount the storage bags? I realize that these are not heavy duty points to secure loads

yup, i will only use the eye bolts for light loads. the rails would be ideal, but the eye bolts are only for the cargo nets
no for me it’s a how it looks thing my OCD would bug me to make it look more factory or something like that it’s just me not you
Sponsored