FIRST AFTERMARKET MODIFICATION

midoriyama

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
Currently waiting for my new set of fuel wheels to arrive. I ordered 20" D570 Rotor Matte Black. I'm excited to see how it will look like with my newly installed fender flares.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Being as we are getting ever closer to the JT being available I thought it might be a good idea to revive this old thread. I was lucky enough to make my way out to Phoenix recently for Expo West and spent 4+ days traveling from Phoenix to Flagstaff entirely off-road. That trip gave me some better insight as to how I want to set my JT up. Being as I have two small kids I am leaning heavily towards a RTT, annex, and awning setup. I am going to attempt to do some camping trips with the kids with the tried and true tent/cot setup first to get a better idea of how things need to change.

With all that said, I think my first modifications if I am lucky enough to land a JT Rubicon with hardtop, LED lighting, and some on-board power accessories (heated seats, bed 120V outlet?, etc.) will be to build out my camping setup. There were some great companies at Expo West that offer modular do-it-yourself drawer kits that I would like to use as a base to build off of. From there, if the need arises, I will look into adding a low profile rack to keep the RTT below the roof line and then add the necessary equipment. I will say that I find myself at odds with the idea as I have never needed that setup before and an old trusty tent has worked just fine. I can certainly see the argument for and against both setups. Aside from that I plan to use the Jeep in stock form and find and outline its shortcomings versus throwing money at things that don't need attention (lift, tires, etc.).

So what is everyone else planning for their JT's? My goal is the weekend after picking mine up to take the family and head up to GA for some camping and exploring. Happy trails everyone!

Valicor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commander
I'll either be looking at the Habitat Truck Topper or maybe a Four Wheel Camper slide in. Either way, it will need to be comfortable enough to live in, after my wife divorces me for buying a $65k truck.

Gambrinus

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Land Rover Dormobile 200tdi
I honestly am NOT a RTT ( roof top tent ) fan. They look cool, but unless you are in bear country, or somewhere that the animals have YOU on the menu, I'd rather just use a slide in, or pull a little pop up.

Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I honestly am NOT a RTT ( roof top tent ) fan. They look cool, but unless you are in bear country, or somewhere that the animals have YOU on the menu, I'd rather just use a slide in, or pull a little pop up.
Hopefully AT brings out the habitat for the JT. That would be a nice option as well.

Valicor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commander

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
My general rule is armor fist then everything else. (But I'll probably get the GDE tune as the first thing) Then I'll start armoring it up depending on what it comes with factory. Definitely something to reinforce that rear bed overhang, Diff Covers etc. Then a tonneau cover or something similar. Next will be sliders with the steps that automatically drop down, followed by a snorkel. Some way to hold an oversize spare tire. Then the 3.5" metalcloak with 37"tires and regear. Later good highway beadlocks and some sort of bed rack.

Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
My initial mod list is pretty lame. It's more geared towards overlanding than rock crawling

I'd start with a Rubicon, diesel, manual transmission, with 35s or 37s if that's possible

The very first thing I do will be checking out the chassis, drilling drain holes, and rust proofing it inside and out. My TJ (most TJs?) seem to rot from the inside out. Not sure if they fixed it for later Jeeps, but I don't want to take the risk

Star shield around the whole thing to help prevent trees from scratching the sides

Moving the tire from under the bed to the back or side of the bed (depends on what is available and what looks good). I might put a water tank, water pump, and filters under the bed where the spare tire originally was (hopefully recessed behind the frame rails with an added armor plate. No idea what it'll actually look like under there)

I'm also thinking about running an extra tank of diesel between the drive shaft and frame rail (recessed and armored, too)

And probably just a cheap, lame 2" puck lift or something

skijosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier, Pathfinder
I don't know about you all - but I really think the pickup truck version of the defender looks really good with the roll cage and the spare tire mount inside the truck bed. Would make this scrambler look pretty burly to do something similar, especially if you get get some of the "riveting" on the pickup panels.

kahn-land-rover-defender-0.jpg
Project-Kahn-Land-Rover-Defender-Pickup-Truck-4.jpg

The-Land-Rover-Defender-Flying-Huntsman-6x6-Pickup-Truck-8.jpg

kahn-reveals-flying-huntsman-6x6-defender-double-cab-pickup-truck-video-photo-gallery-100260_1.jpg

land-rover-defender-big-foot-from-james-bond-spectre-01.jpg

Reactions: JCC

skijosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier, Pathfinder
could also be really cool if somebody made a hard top that covered the passenger area and the truck bed together:

62.jpg

21.jpg

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Does anyone know who makes this rack?
Definitely a custom job. The only company that made aftermarket bed parts for the Brute that I am aware of was Softopper and the bed rack is welded to the AEV bumper in the rear. Give it time the aftermarket will have a ton of options for the JT.
Sponsored