Sponsored

High Altitude with aftermarket AT Tires & ACC vs factory stock Rubicon or Mojave (my first Gladiator)

OP
OP

Spicy Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Mojave
Spicy,

As far as The FCA blindspot monitors, my most recent experience was on a 2014 Ram Laramie. Awesome truck with a high end SUV quality ride and package. My other most recent experience was a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid. Driving in cold, slushy conditions, or during snow, they would ice over, and an error message would say something to the effect of blind spot monitors disabled. You could resolve the issue by pulling over and knocking/wiping the ice/slush off, but who wants to keep doing that every 10-20 minutes on a shitty winter road trip?
Also, the ACC would not work on the Hyundai with the front sensors iced over. It was not a purely optical system. The radar sensors in the front set the follow distance for the adaptive cruise control.

With regards to trailering or having a hitch mount bike rack, they beep at you until you disable them. NOT a deal breaker. Just wanted you to be aware.
I DO NOT miss them at all.

On a side note, I had adaptive cruise control, and lane centering on the Hyundai. It worked great, EXCEPT every time you pass an off ramp, it tries to pull you to center. CENTER. Not lane center, which ends up pointing you at the diverge point of the right line, and left off-ramp line. It can catch you off guard, and scare the shit out of you trying to correct for it. Once again, not sure on the FCA ACC, just making you aware. All tech has its glitches and limitations. I enjoyed it for long, boring, center lane cruises, but once again, it certainly has it's quirks.

Hope that helps your decision making.
Thank you for the detailed reply, that does make some sense with the limitations you've had on other ACC systems. I guess that means that I'll need to test the Gladiator's ACC pretty thoroughly on test drives.

You are looking at exactly my use case. We have a High Altitude diesel and we got a set of JLU Rubicon take-off wheels and tires for it. Those go on for winter and off road fun. I put the stock 20ā€ wheels and ā€œminivanā€ tires back on in the summer for ride comfort, mileage, and noise.

We had the Rubi wheels and stock 33ā€ KO2ā€™s on this spring for the Jeep Adventure Academy at the Badlands off-road park. I also added a hitch skid (that was very needed). The Gladiator in stock trim is extremely capable, far more than my skill level. There were people at the Academy with HA and Overland Wranglers with the same 20ā€ ā€œminivan tiresā€ ours came with and they did just fine. Our Jeep with the KO2ā€™s was much more sure footed.

The LSD rear/open front of the High Altitude was more than capable. In that particular situation I never felt ā€œunder gunnedā€ by not having lockers or sway bar disconnect. If you are going to do hard core rock climbing the lockers would be valuable. For 90% Highway plus possible inclement weather/occasional off roading the LSD rear/open front is the way to go.

"Summer setup"
pjIA2n8.jpg

Ready to play in the dirt
Bg7AuVw.jpg

Playing in the dirt
Aj2tbzD.jpg

After playing in the dirt
Bh80nQw.jpg

The hitch skid
jVwE0dj.jpg
I should have clarified, I won't use a Gladiator for wheeling where lockers are needed because I don't want to use something that expensive.

What you describe as light to medium off-roading could easily be handled by a High Altitude with good AT tires as long as it doesn't get too muddy. If muddy, something more aggressive than an AT tire would still get you through quite a bit.

Here's mine with a 2.5" Clayton lift and 35" Goodyear Ultraterrains on stock wheels with 1.5" wheel spacers:

Gladiator Doors Off Top On cropped medium.png
We did more than Iā€™d classify as ā€œlight off-roadingā€ at the Adventure Academy (that I highly recommend). Our HA handled it and begged for more. We were going over basketball sized rocks in the rock quarry (if not larger) and at one point down a 30 degree rock wall. A stock Gladiator is an extremely capable vehicle in any trim.

This is me driving down a steep frigging rock wall after climbing up the other side.

I shared your opinion, as well. I got the 3.0 high altitude for all of the convenience and comfort features. But once you get it the upgrades come easier than youā€™d think. I put 35x11.5 on factory 20s, 2ā€ mopar lift, steel bumpers(after someone rear ended me), and a winch(because there was a hole in the bumper I had to fill). The only thing Iā€™ve used the winch for is pulling stumps and I have yet to get my truck stuck with some pretty decent off roading.

Best upgrade was the eco diesel.
Thank y'all so much for sharing your experiences with the HA, especially with the photos and video! This is pretty much the extent that I can expect I'd be really off-roading, in addition to navigating bad weather such as heavy rains, snow and ice. It's looking like now I'll have to see if I can get any of the Jeep dealers with High Altitudes with the safety features I'm wanting are willing to budge on the price since the 2023 models are starting to come in (I know two dealers in particular have had their HA's sitting on their lots for at least four months).

Really weird side question for you High Altitude drivers: is there any reasoning behind some of the Jeep Gladiator having white leather seating? I can't seem to find it as an option on the website and I pretty much only see it in High Altitude models.

Dealers up here (Ontario Canada) said would have to order a Jeep to get the options wanted. 5-6 months.
Started looking for a High Altitude too . Takes a lot of looking to find a well equipped Jeep. Bought a JLUR on a dealer's lot. Fully equipped.

Look hard; bet you'll find the Gladiator you want.
I did really look into just ordering one from the factory but with current build times and supply chain issues I don't feel good about waiting 4+ months. If I'd moved faster on my financing this might have been a possibility but I'd like to be able to take something home immediately upon payment, and if I'm being totally honest I could live without the ACC and other features on the HA in favor of the more readily available Mojaves and Rubicons.

I always say go with the Rubicon. Also, include Aux switches, LED light package and Tow package. If you look on this Forum many of the posts are Gladiator owners adding mods in effort to make their Gladiator as off-road capable as a Rubicon. Also, the Rubicon is more marketable (time to sale/value) when you get ready to sale or trade in. This is coming from a non Rubicon owner.
I've been thinking about this a lot over the weekend. I got to drive both a Mojave and a Rubicon, and surprisingly I preferred the ride experience of the Rubicon over the Mojave; maybe it's ignorant of me to have this position but while I liked the higher stance of the Mojave I wasn't a huge fan of the seemingly larger hood that obscured a bit of the road from my view...in contrast I liked that the Rubicon seemed to sit a bit lower, be slightly easier to see over the hood and that I could "feel" more of the road. The only issue now between those two particular Gladiators is that the Rubicon in question didn't have anywhere near as many extras (Auxiliary Switches, Cold Weather Group, LED Headlights) as the Mojave.
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Really weird side question for you High Altitude drivers: is there any reasoning behind some of the Jeep Gladiator having white leather seating? I can't seem to find it as an option on the website and I pretty much only see it in High Altitude models.
The HA has a Nappa leather interior that is different than other models.

I got the black interior on mine.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
We have an HA and JTM. Would NOT recommend the ACC on a JTM unless you mainly drive where itā€™s flat as Kansas. ( think windshield replacement costs too )

The JTM is really awesome offroad as is, and doesnā€™t need any suspension mods for light to moderate trails, but not as easy to find mods for ( light bars, cowel lights, bumper that works with the skid and accepts a winch, shock extension brackets, .. ). At 60mph and below the mpgs are similar, but the HA is routinely 1 to 3 mpg better, in part due to the lighter wheels.

If you ever plan to modify the suspension, go with non-JTM, unless you have some big plans and want the factory reinforcements. A stock HA will easily run the newly opened 4x4 trail that heads out of Cades Cove in TN. We prefer the JTM anywhere the rock/gravel/creek has bigger than 2ā€ rocks, and we prefer the HA for any normal gravel or pavement.

OP
OP

Spicy Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Mojave
Thank you again everyone for weighing in! I apologize for not updating the thread earlier, it's been a hectic last couple of weeks and shows no signs of slowing down...BUT...I finally made a decision and am very grateful for your advice @citadelfox , @IOS-XR , @Wheelin98TJ , @Wat Dog , @DaveL , @mdyucca , @Volt0 @NachoRuby , @Trauma PA , @DesertRated and @TigerInFL !!

I ended up bringing home a '22 Mojave in Hydro Blue! When doing the final test drives I just didn't feel the draw or connection to the High Altitudes like I though I would when I was looking at all the stats on paper. It was really tough deciding between the Rubicon and Mojave, I ended up spending a few hours at the dealership driving each and then going over each vehicle very carefully (even crawling underneath each of them to try and see for myself any differences in shielding and the iron knuckles on the Mojave.

In the end it occurred to me that I was already planning out several Mopar and non-Mopar mods for this particular Rubicon to bring it closer to how this particular Mojave came straight from the factory, and I figure that if I own this truck for a few years and decide I really want to get into off-roading where I'd need the extra crawling capabilities of the Rubicon I would be better experienced by then to know what to look for (trading for/buying a Gladiator Rubicon, modding my Mojave, buying a Wrangler Rubicon or other trim, etc). There are some things I may wish I had down the road like the front lockers and sway bar disconnect, but I think by the time I'm ready to tackle any trails that need those I'll have more experience under my belt and would be able to make a better decision on taking the Mojave on those trails versus getting a second Jeep dedicated to that role.

Damn, y'all on here weren't kidding about the Just Empty Every Pocket thing! A bedliner and locking hood struts and gas cap are the first orders of business, but I've only owned this Jeep less than two weeks and already have a pretty big Excel sheet of cool stuff to research/buy!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for the detailed reply, that does make some sense with the limitations you've had on other ACC systems. I guess that means that I'll need to test the Gladiator's ACC pretty thoroughly on test drives.

Thank y'all so much for sharing your experiences with the HA, especially with the photos and video! This is pretty much the extent that I can expect I'd be really off-roading, in addition to navigating bad weather such as heavy rains, snow and ice. It's looking like now I'll have to see if I can get any of the Jeep dealers with High Altitudes with the safety features I'm wanting are willing to budge on the price since the 2023 models are starting to come in (I know two dealers in particular have had their HA's sitting on their lots for at least four months).

I did really look into just ordering one from the factory but with current build times and supply chain issues I don't feel good about waiting 4+ months. If I'd moved faster on my financing this might have been a possibility but I'd like to be able to take something home immediately upon payment, and if I'm being totally honest I could live without the ACC and other features on the HA in favor of the more readily available Mojaves and Rubicons.

I've been thinking about this a lot over the weekend. I got to drive both a Mojave and a Rubicon, and surprisingly I preferred the ride experience of the Rubicon over the Mojave; maybe it's ignorant of me to have this position but while I liked the higher stance of the Mojave I wasn't a huge fan of the seemingly larger hood that obscured a bit of the road from my view...in contrast I liked that the Rubicon seemed to sit a bit lower, be slightly easier to see over the hood and that I could "feel" more of the road. The only issue now between those two particular Gladiators is that the Rubicon in question didn't have anywhere near as many extras (Auxiliary Switches, Cold Weather Group, LED Headlights) as the Mojave.
Good choice! I like that the Mojave frame is beefed up to to handle more stress. Enjoy the the ride.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Thank you again everyone for weighing in! I apologize for not updating the thread earlier, it's been a hectic last couple of weeks and shows no signs of slowing down...BUT...I finally made a decision and am very grateful for your advice @citadelfox , @IOS-XR , @Wheelin98TJ , @Wat Dog , @DaveL , @mdyucca , @Volt0 @NachoRuby , @Trauma PA , @DesertRated and @TigerInFL !!

I ended up bringing home a '22 Mojave in Hydro Blue! When doing the final test drives I just didn't feel the draw or connection to the High Altitudes like I though I would when I was looking at all the stats on paper. It was really tough deciding between the Rubicon and Mojave, I ended up spending a few hours at the dealership driving each and then going over each vehicle very carefully (even crawling underneath each of them to try and see for myself any differences in shielding and the iron knuckles on the Mojave.

In the end it occurred to me that I was already planning out several Mopar and non-Mopar mods for this particular Rubicon to bring it closer to how this particular Mojave came straight from the factory, and I figure that if I own this truck for a few years and decide I really want to get into off-roading where I'd need the extra crawling capabilities of the Rubicon I would be better experienced by then to know what to look for (trading for/buying a Gladiator Rubicon, modding my Mojave, buying a Wrangler Rubicon or other trim, etc). There are some things I may wish I had down the road like the front lockers and sway bar disconnect, but I think by the time I'm ready to tackle any trails that need those I'll have more experience under my belt and would be able to make a better decision on taking the Mojave on those trails versus getting a second Jeep dedicated to that role.

Damn, y'all on here weren't kidding about the Just Empty Every Pocket thing! A bedliner and locking hood struts and gas cap are the first orders of business, but I've only owned this Jeep less than two weeks and already have a pretty big Excel sheet of cool stuff to research/buy!
Rule #1 is post pics šŸ˜

Congrats on the sweet ride.

OP
OP

Spicy Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Mojave
Those are easy to make, or simple to remove the factory ones for rough trails.
Did you read the thread about the locking gas cap? https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/locking-gas-cap-available.56903/
I haven't yet read too much about locking gas caps, thank you for the link! Between this new Gladiator, my two jobs and travel plans I've got my hands pretty full and am probably going to upgrade slowly when I have time to research each item.

Good choice! I like that the Mojave frame is beefed up to to handle more stress. Enjoy the the ride.
Thank you! Yeah, that was one of the things that pulled me over to the Mojave.

Congrats on that new Mojave and welcome to the club.
Thank you much! It's very cool to think "Wow, I'm not just a truck guy but also a Jeep guy now!".

Rule #1 is post pics šŸ˜

Congrats on the sweet ride.
Thank you! Dang it, you're right...I've only got this one so far:

Jeep Gladiator High Altitude with aftermarket AT Tires & ACC vs factory stock Rubicon or Mojave (my first Gladiator) tempImageNN6j3T

EXXXchef

First Name
Beans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 jeep gladiator high altitude
Occupation
xxxchef
2023 gladiator high altitude in shocking gray šŸ¤˜šŸ–•
Jeep Gladiator High Altitude with aftermarket AT Tires & ACC vs factory stock Rubicon or Mojave (my first Gladiator) 20240126_175933
Sponsored