Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did you check torque immediately and find it lose or after awhile? I've had lug nuts I've put on myself and torqued back off 40-50 miles later. It does happen and they should have mentioned to check them after 50 miles or so.
Any time wheels are moved, like you say - torque them, drive it, and then 50-100 miles later, retorque.
The local Chevy dealer always told me "drive it 100 miles then come back" (they added "or check it yourself" after I told them I was a retired mechanic)
50 should be good enough to move and stress things and make sure the nuts are seated in the wheels.
Sponsored

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Easy fix, but I would require a dealer fix and document so it’s on record with Jeep that this was a problem. Consider that any number of latent issues could show at a later date and if they would when you’re on the wrong side of warranty, but still within a reasonable margin or something is labeled wear and tear and not warranted when it likely should be, then I’d pull this little report of poor quality control out from my back pocket if I felt a broader conversation was merited. My $.02’s.

Side note, I checked my oil on my newest rig before I even drove it off the lot. So, maybe I’m a little paranoid, but I just like to have good bedrock for a baseline.

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's happened to me twice now, both times lower drivers he'll. First time I got a new link. Second I just re tapped the threads and put a new nut on, last time I used a spare stock downlink nut. It's annoying as hell. It's way over torqued now and may get locktight next time

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
That's happened to me twice now, both times lower drivers he'll. First time I got a new link. Second I just re tapped the threads and put a new nut on, last time I used a spare stock downlink nut. It's annoying as hell. It's way over torqued now and may get locktight next time
I plan on finding a jam but and using blue of not red Loctite on it to secure it both top and bottom. Hell the ball joints have cotter pins and castle nuts why not these?
Jeep Gladiator Fix it myself or take it to the dealer? IMG_20211129_005934090

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Any time wheels are moved, like you say - torque them, drive it, and then 50-100 miles later, retorque.
You actually perform a retorque and not just a torque check?

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I did not do either. I have only been getting tires rotated for 20 years so you guys may have more experience in that department, but I've never lost a lug nut or had the person changing the tires recommend or instruct me to bring it back to check again after a set number of miles.

Now that I read the manual, I see that it does recommend that. Of course like I said, nobody at any tire shop or dealership has ever asked me to come back or even mentioned it offhand. I guess it's not a common thing to happen, but it can happen none the less.

Then again, maybe they just didn't tighten it correctly.

Many years ago my wife was driving in front of me after having a tire plugged at Walmart. She got about 1/2 a mile before I saw the wheel wobbling bad and started honking until she pulled over.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I'd roll DIY for something I can do. So worried the dealer will either not fix it right - or screw something else up....

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Well it's fixed. Until the next time Jeep dealer!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You actually perform a retorque and not just a torque check?
Worded that wrong for sure..... check, but the check will be different than the original torque so a person needs to watch which number they are reading.

Torque originally, then check later using the other spec for checking.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did not do either. I have only been getting tires rotated for 20 years so you guys may have more experience in that department, but I've never lost a lug nut or had the person changing the tires recommend or instruct me to bring it back to check again after a set number of miles.

Now that I read the manual, I see that it does recommend that. Of course like I said, nobody at any tire shop or dealership has ever asked me to come back or even mentioned it offhand. I guess it's not a common thing to happen, but it can happen none the less.

Then again, maybe they just didn't tighten it correctly.

Many years ago my wife was driving in front of me after having a tire plugged at Walmart. She got about 1/2 a mile before I saw the wheel wobbling bad and started honking until she pulled over.
I could never work in a shop again because of the BS I see out there. So few do anything right and almost no one does things by the book or recommendations.
Yes, the Chevy dealership ALWAYS suggests re-checking the torque after rotation. I've had a couple of places talk of it - but then most use impacts, too.
I've seen rotors and other stuff screwed up by clowns in shops.
I walked away from one job because of the stupid stuff going on in that shop - downright dangerous. I refused to do the shortcut way the boss wanted and literally walked out to my truck, loaded up my tools and drove away.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I did check finally. All of the regular lug nuts were tight. The remaining three locking ones were loose. I can't tell you "how loose" but I had to turn the wrench a good 1/8/-1/4 turn to get it to click, maybe more. The others it clicked without budging.
Sponsored