First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Add the caliper housing bolts to that. Mine fell off in the middle of the desert with zero cell coverage and and I literally had no choice but to keep going, it ended up gouging the hell out of the inside of my rim.

Not the first I’ve heard of this. After my incident, I crawled underneath and double checked all the exposed bolts I could get to underneath then marked them with a paint pen.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hand tight is all thats needed.
Huh?
Hand tight?

I'd go in to the dealer to make sure it was documented - if enough people see and report this through dealers, then people who aren't mechanically inclined may find a TSB at some point.
For me that's a 2 minute fix and I may even have the nut on hand - but it's the principal of the thing. And if no one bothers to report it - Jeep has no clue there's an issue and it gets ignored.
At least DOCUMENT IT and make sure the dealer knows about it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know about your dealer but here they would make me wait a week to get in then charge me for nut and labor.
I would replace it myself and not worry about it. Many of us change those links anyway, i have a drawer full of those nuts from various jeeps I've owned.
Not here - I'd drive up to their door at 6:45 am and be the first in line - and tell them to fix it while I went into their showroom and had coffee and donuts on their dime.
Yes, I could fix it, and yes I likely even have the parts (I've got thousands of nuts and bolts from 50 years of shop work) but I want Jeep to know about it, and the dealers to know about it. It does make a difference.
And I'm the sort I'll be right there in front of the door - they WILL Take care of it.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Not here - I'd drive up to their door at 6:45 am and be the first in line - and tell them to fix it while I went into their showroom and had coffee and donuts on their dime.
Yes, I could fix it, and yes I likely even have the parts (I've got thousands of nuts and bolts from 50 years of shop work) but I want Jeep to know about it, and the dealers to know about it. It does make a difference.
And I'm the sort I'll be right there in front of the door - they WILL Take care of it.
I needed an oil leak diagnosed and the dealership offered to squeeze me in in 4 weeks time as fully booked. when I had them reattach the parking brake cables it was a 2 week wait to get in and then one week at the dealership for a 30 minute fix. I agree it’s great to do stuff under warranty as it’s free but with most dealers even good ones who cover everything under the sun under warranty the wait times are crazy here in the NE right now. I would make an appointment at the dealer and see if you can wait that long

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Well I'll piggy back on this. I got my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealership 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday I hopped out of the truck with my son to go to the park and he asks me why I'm missing a lug nut. Good question!

Just so happened to be one of the locking nuts that came with the gladiator. I keep the 4 original lug nuts and the key for the locking ones in the console so thankfully I had a spare handy.

I'm wondering if I should
1) Ignore the dealer entirely, take it to the Discount Tire where I got the tires and have them check the torque on the remaining nuts
2) Get the dealership involved to a)check the remaining nuts in front of me and b) get me a replacement locking lug nut.

I'm leaning towards neither being worth my time and effort but what do you guys think?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I would just redo them myself, when my JKU had the rear axle seal replaced under warranty they put the lugs on at about 200ft/lbs of torque, thankfully that was the only wheel they removed and put back on. I would not give them the opportunity to screw something else up, probably luckily the only issue is a lost lug nut.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Headed to the dealer right now

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I would just redo them myself, when my JKU had the rear axle seal replaced under warranty they put the lugs on at about 200ft/lbs of torque, thankfully that was the only wheel they removed and put back on. I would not give them the opportunity to screw something else up, probably luckily the only issue is a lost lug nut.
I guess it's a good time to buy a torque wrench then. I probably over torqued the one I changed. I'm only 170# but I did step on it. I didn't buy the locking lug nuts to begin with but figured if they were on it I might as well keep them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
I guess it's a good time to buy a torque wrench then. I probably over torqued the one I changed. I'm only 170# but I did step on it. I didn't buy the locking lug nuts to begin with but figured if they were on it I might as well keep them.
Yep need to buy a torque wrench! Is there anywhere that has all the torque specs?

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Well it's gonna take a new end link. Checking on parts availability. Couple days they say on the part. Should be fixed by Friday.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Huh?
Hand tight?

I'd go in to the dealer to make sure it was documented - if enough people see and report this through dealers, then people who aren't mechanically inclined may find a TSB at some point.
For me that's a 2 minute fix and I may even have the nut on hand - but it's the principal of the thing. And if no one bothers to report it - Jeep has no clue there's an issue and it gets ignored.
At least DOCUMENT IT and make sure the dealer knows about it.
Yeah, hand tight is like 40-50 ft. lbs. unless your a wuss...hand tight by wrench, is that better?

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
This is one of the reasons why I rotate my own tires. Plus, if I scratch one of my wheels, we'll that's on me.

But, not everyone has the tools, time, etc. to do their own rotations. At least if you have a torque wrench, you can double check the torque when you get home from the tire shop if they rotate them for you.

I have a longer Craftsman torque wrench that also doubles as my breaker bar.
Sponsored