First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Is the flashing locker symbol on the dark a frequent problem on the Rubicon? What is the usual cause?
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Oh boy, get in line for a new axle ;)

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rear-locker-engaging-automatically-in-2h.31407/

I mean, they need to diagnose the issue but there's plenty of reported dead lockers on here where people were waiting on an axle swap, warranty but pain and long wait. idk maybe Jeep has another new solution, this doesn't impact me so I only occasionally brows those threads.

There's workarounds and it could be something else... but the rear lockers have been giving some issues

Last edited:

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I didnā€™t need a new axle. Mine was flashing. They ordered one for me then told me Jeep now sells the right part. They had the actuator harness replaced in a few hours. They said there was oil on the connector

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I didnā€™t need a new axle. Mine was flashing. They ordered one for me then told me Jeep now sells the right part. They had the actuator harness replaced in a few hours. They said there was oil on the connector

This is not uncommon with the rubicon locker. I had this issue on my JKUHR twice.

Make sure you get the extended warranty as the above repair was $900 for the JK. I am sure it is more now for the JL and JT.

If you have purchased a Rubicon or Mojave with lockers or a locker... šŸ¤” get an extended warranty.

Sponsored

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is not uncommon with the rubicon locker. I had this issue on my JKUHR twice.

Make sure you get the extended warranty as the above repair was $900 for the JK. I am sure it is more now for the JL and JT.

If you have purchased a Rubicon or Mojave with lockers or a locker... šŸ¤” get an extended warranty.
I never had the issue on my JKUR or JLURā€”I attribute mine to towing. I got off the highway with my RV in tow in 2h and then i felt a shutter as I braked, then the locker light came on blinking. Then it came on like it was on, then back to blinking. The initial service order said itā€™s a full axle replacement. Itā€™s on the service order. When the axle came in they said they didnā€™t need it anymore and the new service order just says they replaced the actuator. The part they replaced was 68400411AA

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I never had the issue on my JKUR or JLURā€”I attribute mine to towing. I got off the highway with my RV in tow in 2h and then i felt a shutter as I braked, then the locker light came on blinking. Then it came on like it was on, then back to blinking. The initial service order said itā€™s a full axle replacement. Itā€™s on the service order. When the axle came in they said they didnā€™t need it anymore and the new service order just says they replaced the actuator. The part they replaced was 68400411AA
I am Sure those parts between the JK and JL JT are different now, but it is exactly the same thing that happened to my JKUHR. Leaving house to go to work in 2H and locker light was flashing on start up. The light went off but as I made a turn at end of driveway I felt a shudder as the rear locker engaged. Light started flashing and rear locker would not disengage. I made all the right and left turns to try to get the thing to let go and it stayed locked with light flashing. They had to replace the actuator because of ā€œoil contamination ā€œ. After second time the Jeep dealerā€™s mechanic said to get a warranty as they are having issues with the lockers. So I traded it on a non Rubicon JT šŸ˜¬. Going to try my luck with ARB when I regear. I sometimes miss the old auto lockers...

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am Sure those parts between the JK and JL JT are different now, but it is exactly the same thing that happened to my JKUHR. Leaving house to go to work in 2H and locker light was flashing on start up. The light went off but as I made a turn at end of driveway I felt a shudder as the rear locker engaged. Light started flashing and rear locker would not disengage. I made all the right and left turns to try to get the thing to let go and it stayed locked with light flashing. They had to replace the actuator because of ā€œoil contamination ā€œ. After second time the Jeep dealerā€™s mechanic said to get a warranty as they are having issues with the lockers. So I traded it on a non Rubicon JT šŸ˜¬. Going to try my luck with ARB when I regear. I sometimes miss the old auto lockers...
Same deal here. Notes say oil was there. I donā€™t know if they had to open the diff to replace it though?

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Same deal here. Notes say oil was there. I donā€™t know if they had to open the diff to replace it though?
They had to take the diff apart to replace mine. Here is a picture of it

Jeep Gladiator Flashing Locker BC9C0792-8F53-4115-BBA0-F421A029668A

Jeep Gladiator Flashing Locker C0B8C65A-ACA2-47E6-987D-58D4B62FC2ED

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Is the flashing locker symbol on the dark a frequent problem on the Rubicon? What is the usual cause?
I believe you are not giving sufficient info for anyone to help you out. What is the situation that you are getting the flashing locker symbol in?

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I believe you are not giving sufficient info for anyone to help you out. What is the situation that you are getting the flashing locker symbol in?
Towing at highway speeds. Just started doing this yesterday. Pushing the disengage switch doesnā€™t help.

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
[/QUOTE.

Rear Locker stays on all the time. When trying to disengage I get a flashing light on the panel which never extinguished.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what I found is the fix for this issue, rather then getting a whole new housing that is in back order.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-locker-oem/
My understanding of this gizmo is that it simply doesn't allow the "Service Warning" light to show; but doesn't actually do any more.

Does this mean that if the light signal gets cut out, that the CPU can't/won't throw the code for service and allow the use of the Locker?
Sponsored