First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I recently returned to Florida while flat towing my JT. I drove a stretch 18 hours long. I reached a rest stop and caught 6 hours sleep. I woke up to a completely dead battery in the JT. Apparently, the Jeep battery was not wired up to the charging circuit on my tow vehicle. I guess there are two options here ( both tie into the charge pin on the F450 7 pin connector) 1. Purchase a Towed Vehicle Charger from RVi for $85 and connect to the main battery terminals. 2. Just run a power wire directly to the battery.
What is your experience? Ever have a battery die after running the simple charge wire? Ever overcharge a battery? Should the RVi box provide protections needed?
Sponsored

MarkN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
I recently returned to Florida while flat towing my JT. I drove a stretch 18 hours long. I reached a rest stop and caught 6 hours sleep. I woke up to a completely dead battery in the JT. Apparently, the Jeep battery was not wired up to the charging circuit on my tow vehicle. I guess there are two options here ( both tie into the charge pin on the F450 7 pin connector) 1. Purchase a Towed Vehicle Charger from RVi for $85 and connect to the main battery terminals. 2. Just run a power wire directly to the battery.
What is your experience? Ever have a battery die after running the simple charge wire? Ever overcharge a battery? Should the RVi box provide protections needed?
What is on that’s draining the battery? I’ve towed a wrangler for five years without a problem and am setting up my Gladiator for towing now. I use the Roadmaster Invisibrake which has a charge line to the battery from the coach, but my ignition is off so there isn’t any real drain.

Mark

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Great question! Nothing should be running with the ignition off. The brakes (Stay n Play Duo) is the only thing.

MarkN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
Great question! Nothing should be running with the ignition off. The brakes (Stay n Play Duo) is the only thing.
Jeff, I ve never run with a charge wire. As I said the Invisibrake takes care of the battery. Once it is installed and set up, there’s nothing else to do. It’s secure and out of the way. I had it in my Wrangler and just installed it in the JT. I have a front bumper on order and when I get that installed I can finish with the connections. Good luck on your set up.

Mark

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Just a thought if the jt was newer. Battery might have been on the way out. These batteries go dead all the time at dealers and the just charge them before you buy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Just a thought if the jt was newer. Battery might have been on the way out. These batteries go dead all the time at dealers and the just charge them before you buy.
I charged the battery and it has hung in there ever since. I then ran a 12 ga. Wire from the 6 pin connector (black pin - 12v) to the main battery terminal. That should charge the battery any time I’m connected to the RV.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I know it’s a waste of money but I would replace the battery. Once they drain all the way down it’s a matter of time. You can get a way with it for a while. Just not worth getting stranded somewhere random

gmadams

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Gladiator
How do you like the Stay n Play Duo? I'm thinking about putting iy on my Gladiator.

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I’ve had zero problems since install about 2500 miles towing to date.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Info from another source. I found this thread while search for info regarding the "sense" wire.

I have read here that some of the new Wranglers may “wake up” while being towed depending on what method you use to lock the doors. Word is if the vehicle wakes up enough it could run the battery down after a wake ups. Hahaha

The "wake up" issue seems to be related to the newer JL/JT models with the factory-installed LED tail lights. They have an extra signal line from the light assembly to the BCM to alert the system that a light has been activated. So, when youre happily towing your vehicle and activate the vehicle's brake lights or turn signals that sense line sends a signal to the BCM to wake up the vehicle. That signal is normally used when starting the engine: you have to press the brake pedal and the "Start" button to start the engine. When the vehicle is "asleep" it constantly draws several milliamps to keep things like clocks, radio presets, etc. active. When it "wakes up" it draws several amps because when it's awake it's ready to start up and run.

As a result, if it's constantly in the "awake" state it can deplete the battery over a full day's towing. The solution is to disconnect that sense line when towing.
Sponsored