Sponsored

Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate?

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Hello Fellow Owners,
We are planning to flat tow our 2020 JTR behind a very capable Class A motorhome. (8,000# towing)

What I have not yet figured out is how to find a base plate that won't get beat up on the trail. Does anyone have any ride reports or suggestions?

Thanks!
Brad
Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
Simple answer is to get a bumper that you can tow from and ditch the base plate.

Thats what we did on a previous jeep. The problem you will find is many say "sure you can tow with our bumper..." till you find out you cant and the bumper fails, possibly causing damage to the vehicle, coach or both.

Over the years I only know of one brand and its Smittybuilt that welds and secures the bumper for towing. Their bumpers are heavier than most but they told me that they could winch straight up a wall using only the connection points on the bumpers and they could carry the full weight of the jeep. They told me thats how they do it on all their bumpers.

**** Disclaimer ---- There may be others, I just dont know any other brands. ****

We towed with a Blue Ox Avail 10,000 lb tow bar and straight attached it to the jeep bumper. We did have to replace the lugs to connect the Blue Ox up to the bumper. $215 just for the lugs on amazon.... feels like a rip off but cant be done with out it.

Then the install people ran the 7-pin wiring and the emergency cord thru holes in the lower part of the bumper and your done.... nothing that can be damaged, yet you can still tow it.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited.... I found some pictures of the Jeep I dont know what you can see but its all there.

The red circles show the connection points and the arrow is showing the break-away location, 7 pin is to the left but cant be seen. Click to make the pictures bigger.

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? IMG_6185

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? IMG_6186

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? IMG_6251

Last edited:

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Maximus-3 tow bar mounts. Have them on the Gladiator.
Currie Enterprises base plate/skid plate. Fits Blue Ox tow bars. Had it on my JK and it worked great. I would of put one on the Gladiator, but it was not available then.
It is now!

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Maximus-3 tow bar loops on my Gladiator.

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? 20200724_162605

Currie tow bar mount skid plate on my JK.

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? 20190516_125053

Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Maximus-3 tow bar mounts. Have them on the Gladiator.
Currie Enterprises base plate/skid plate. Fits Blue Ox tow bars. Had it on my JK and it worked great. I would of put one on the Gladiator, but it was not available then.
It is now!
How does the Maximus-3 tow bar mount attach to the Blue Ox tow bar - do you have any pics of it connected? Also, how does the Currie base plate compare to the Blue Ox base plate as far as ground clearance? I'm trying to decide how I want to go.

I've also looked at the Rock Hard tow bar bracket kit, but I would need to replace the bumper to use them, and I really don't want to spend that much money!

HermosaBeachBum

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Grand Cherokee
How does the Maximus-3 tow bar mount attach to the Blue Ox tow bar - do you have any pics of it connected? Also, how does the Currie base plate compare to the Blue Ox base plate as far as ground clearance? I'm trying to decide how I want to go.

I've also looked at the Rock Hard tow bar bracket kit, but I would need to replace the bumper to use them, and I really don't want to spend that much money!
I don't have it but it looks like you need these:

JL Tow loops

Adapter lugs

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector

Had the Currie on the JK. Connects with standard Blue Ox towbar.
Have Maximus-3 tow loops on the JT. Had to swap ends with the adapters.

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? 20200802_184644

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? 20200731_124805
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? 20200501_094417

PapaHoff

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 JK Willys Wheeler, 1946 CJ2A
I've towed my '15 JK with a RockHard4x4 Patriot series bumper for the last 5 years, works great, looks great. Just received the Maximus-3 set up for the Gladiator, but haven't installed yet. I wanted something different from what I have on the JK, like the look of their tow loops, and even with the need to buy the replacement Blue Ox lugs to work with it, still significantly cheaper than the new RH4x4 aluminum bumper I was contemplating... either way - my goal was what you're after - not having a baseplate that is subject to damage.

OP
OP

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Long time without a post. I'll share what I have done so far and where the open questions are for me.

I went with the Roadmaster bracket setup without the crossover : https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Roadmaster/RM-521453-5.html (I purchased mine direct from Roadmaster)

I went with the Nighthawk tow bar: https://roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/nighthawk.php

And, the Even Brake: https://roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/even_brake.php
I was running out of time, so I had my local trustworthy off road shop (Zeus in Burnsville, MN) to the installation and customization of the winch plate to fit between the base plates.

I am VERY happy with the results. The base plate tubes are just about perfectly in line with the lower rock/wind guard off of the Mopar steel bumper making them very well protected when on the trail.

My current issue is figuring out the wiring for the brake lights, brake controller, and additional relays that are needed because the brake lights turn on even with the rig off when the peddle is pressed, overriding the turn signals.

I am interested in any feedback and photos of exactly how they completed all of the wiring for this project.

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
My current issue is figuring out the wiring for the brake lights, brake controller, and additional relays that are needed because the brake lights turn on even with the rig off when the peddle is pressed, overriding the turn signals.

I am interested in any feedback and photos of exactly how they completed all of the wiring for this project.
I would highly recommend the towed vehicle harness from Cooltech llc. Completely isolates the signal. Either from the Jeep, or the motorhome when towing. Fairly easy set up. My buddy saw my Cooltech light harness and returned his Mopar harness before installing. Both have been working flawlessly. Instructions are great, and install was fairly easy by myself. Find the 4 wires and splice in the isolation switch. I helped him install his, and it went even faster!

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je...harness-kit.html#/69-jl_tow_harness_kit-basic

cooltech 1.jpg

OP
OP

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've looked at this as well and ended up buying the diode kit, but the only thing I've done is run the 4-way wires to the driver's rear brake light cavity. I haven't cut into any wiring yet. How long is the 4-way wire whip that comes out of the control box? I like the way I have the 6-line plug setup already and think I would just splice the 4-wire that I have installed into the whip off of the cool-tech whip. Then, I am only making the simple cuts under the passenger seat like your video shows.

How do you have your aux brake setup?

I would highly recommend the towed vehicle harness from Cooltech llc. Completely isolates the signal. Either from the Jeep, or the motorhome when towing. Fairly easy set up. My buddy saw my Cooltech light harness and returned his Mopar harness before installing. Both have been working flawlessly. Instructions are great, and install was fairly easy by myself. Find the 4 wires and splice in the isolation switch. I helped him install his, and it went even faster!

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je...harness-kit.html#/69-jl_tow_harness_kit-basic

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing and Rock Crawling, How do you protect your base plate? cooltech 1

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I've looked at this as well and ended up buying the diode kit, but the only thing I've done is run the 4-way wires to the driver's rear brake light cavity. I haven't cut into any wiring yet. How long is the 4-way wire whip that comes out of the control box? I like the way I have the 6-line plug setup already and think I would just splice the 4-wire that I have installed into the whip off of the cool-tech whip. Then, I am only making the simple cuts under the passenger seat like your video shows.

How do you have your aux brake setup?
The only wire routing is the main plug wire that goes from the grommet hole under the seat to the front of the Jeep. Wire grommet included! The old JK Hopkins kit, I had to run wires from the tail lights all the way to the front.

For braking, I chose the RVi3 system. I knew I would be upgrading toads in the near future, and I also have a gasser (no air brakes). It's worked great in both Jeeps. I ran the breakaway wire, and a 12v battery direct outlet through a plastic plug and hole in the firewall on the driver's side. Easy peasy.

OP
OP

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The only wire routing is the main plug wire that goes from the grommet hole under the seat to the front of the Jeep. Wire grommet included! The old JK Hopkins kit, I had to run wires from the tail lights all the way to the front.

For braking, I chose the RVi3 system. I knew I would be upgrading toads in the near future, and I also have a gasser (no air brakes). It's worked great in both Jeeps. I ran the breakaway wire, and a 12v battery direct outlet through a plastic plug and hole in the firewall on the driver's side. Easy peasy.
Thanks for the info!

I have the Even brake from Roadmaster. I think that using the Cool Tech along with the way the EB signals the brake action in the RV cab will work out well. Too bad you aren't out here in Minnesota or I'd invite you over to supervise the installation and drink some frosty beverages!
Sponsored