Flat Towing Setup

Hog1450

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Rubicon axles and suspension
All the help is appreciated! I'm gonna look into the M&G brake system.
So you basically built your cord from RV to Jeep? That's next after I get the MOPAR kit installed, and will go with a 7 pin to 7 pin also.
Sponsored

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I bought a long male/male seven pin coiled cord. I leave it attached to the tow bar/coach.

B0D327A5-0169-4C59-8436-87DA8FE8A6CB.jpeg

I mounted a female seven pin receptacle on the Jeep. You can also see the breakaway switch and M&G air fitting. It has a spark plug boot on it to protect and vent the fitting.

674BD831-7576-4BD5-A4AA-B730F3C727F3.jpeg

mollysjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Honda Ridgeline
We flat tow our Jeeps behind a motorhome when traveling via a Blue Ox towbar. So, when we traded one of the JK Wrangler Rubicons in on a Gladiator I set about modifying it as well. Typically tow bars attach to a baseplate beneath the bumper that attaches to the frame but that's nut a grat location if you do any rock crawling because it can get damaged. So I installed a Rockhard front bumper. That gave me a sturdy off-road bumper as well as a low winch mounting location. I ordered Rockhard's tow tabs so that I could connect the Blue Ox towbar to the bumper, eliminating the need for a baseplate. I added shackle rings to attach the safety cables to, and drilled the bumper to accept the 6 prong towing light socket and air coupling nipple. I installed an M&G 2.0 auxiliary braking system, which connects to the motorhome with an air hose to operate the Jeep brakes when towing. I also bought a Mopar flat tow wiring harness kit for a JL (because they don't make one for the Gladiator yet) and modified it to operate the rear lights when towing. Now it's plug and play. I just drive up to the motorhome, connect the tow bar, back up a bit to set the locking arms, plug in the lights and air hose, put the transfer case into neutral and drive away.

IMG_6409_2400.jpg

IMG_6412_2400.jpg

IMG_6413_2400.jpg
RVcruzer, does the Rockhard bumper block your Forward Facing Camera?

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
How’s the M&G working? I haven’t had a chance to tow mine yet.

OP
OP
RVcruzer

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon
RVcruzer, does the Rockhard bumper block your Forward Facing Camera?
The bumper doesn't get in the way at all. However, the big LED driving lights that are mounted on top sort of do. The camera looks through the middle between the two lights but the lights block some of the peripheral so you get a narrower view instead of the full wide view.

Sponsored

iaflier

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
We flat tow our Jeeps behind a motorhome when traveling via a Blue Ox towbar. So, when we traded one of the JK Wrangler Rubicons in on a Gladiator I set about modifying it as well. Typically tow bars attach to a baseplate beneath the bumper that attaches to the frame but that's nut a grat location if you do any rock crawling because it can get damaged. So I installed a Rockhard front bumper. That gave me a sturdy off-road bumper as well as a low winch mounting location. I ordered Rockhard's tow tabs so that I could connect the Blue Ox towbar to the bumper, eliminating the need for a baseplate. I added shackle rings to attach the safety cables to, and drilled the bumper to accept the 6 prong towing light socket and air coupling nipple. I installed an M&G 2.0 auxiliary braking system, which connects to the motorhome with an air hose to operate the Jeep brakes when towing. I also bought a Mopar flat tow wiring harness kit for a JL (because they don't make one for the Gladiator yet) and modified it to operate the rear lights when towing. Now it's plug and play. I just drive up to the motorhome, connect the tow bar, back up a bit to set the locking arms, plug in the lights and air hose, put the transfer case into neutral and drive away.

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing Setup 674BD831-7576-4BD5-A4AA-B730F3C727F3

Did the rock hard bumper loop affect the front camera view? I was looking at the same setup with my JT. Did you go with the steel bumper?

OP
OP
RVcruzer

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon
Did the rock hard bumper loop affect the front camera view? I was looking at the same setup with my JT. Did you go with the steel bumper?
See post # 20 above. Rockhard steel, not aluminum.

murphnc

First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee WK2 Overland, Landcruiser FJ80
thanks for posting the info on flat towing. Im moving from a grand cherokee to a Gladiator and this is good info to have for reference.

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
So... I’ve used this wiring kit on two f150’s and a JK prior to getting this gladiator.

has anyone used this kit and if so what wires are you tapping in the tail lights?

6AF54230-0E1E-4619-BF1E-24CC1728BF72.jpeg

Sponsored

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Basically just need to know the color of the factory wires

Left Turn/Brake
Left Tail
Right Turn/Brake
Right Tail

this kits super easy to install. Just splice 4 wires and run your harness up to your front bumper. If your going this route be sure to pack diode grease into your connections. Found that out the hard way on a f150.
Thanks in advance if you know the colors of the 4 wires above.

DEE525DC-F189-4F44-A593-7A74CD51940C.jpeg

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
^ I can't comment on the Roadmaster diodes above, but I currently use the Hopkin's kit on my JK. It works so well, and they now make one for the JT, it is probably what I will use when I get it.
It is getting close. I can't wait.

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Just took my tail light out. There are a ton more wires going to this thing than any jeep or f150 I’ve seen before.

Clarkk

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Zoologist
I would recommend using the Blue Ox tow bar. This is a top-notch quality tow bar that contains many safety and operational features to make towing a car behind your RV a breeze. Easy to adjust when hooking up so you don't need to be exactly right on. During disconnect, you depress the two locking levers to release the pressure and allow a quick disconnect. Rubber sleeves protect the sliding steel rods so that dirt and grime do not get into the parts that need to slide easily. A very heavy piece of gear that can really take a knock or two and operate without a problem.

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I would recommend using the Blue Ox tow bar. This is a top-notch quality tow bar that contains many safety and operational features to make towing a car behind your RV a breeze. Easy to adjust when hooking up so you don't need to be exactly right on. During disconnect, you depress the two locking levers to release the pressure and allow a quick disconnect. Rubber sleeves protect the sliding steel rods so that dirt and grime do not get into the parts that need to slide easily. A very heavy piece of gear that can really take a knock or two and operate without a problem.
I have a Blue Ox 10,000 lb tow bar and accessories for sale.
Sponsored