First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
So from what I understand. Shocks are a major factor in your lift. I see all kinds from mono tube to remote resivoir to 6 pac. For similar priced shocks at different levels how do they compare.?

Does foxmake a remote resivoir shock. .?
When do you need to spend the big bucks on one. Certainly not if it’s your dd.
For washboard roads ? Rockcrawling ?
Sponsored

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
One thing to consider is that some performance shocks require tuning and also have a low mileage rating before needing service or rebuild. I am interested in this discussion also. I have always like Bilstein on my Toyotas. They are not high performance like some but very affordable and long lasting.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Yes, Fox makes remote reservoir shocks too. Generally, monotube or hydro shocks is all anyone really needs for light duty street/trail use. If you’re doing any high-speed stuff, a remote reservoir shock helps keep temperatures/fading down. That’s not to say that different manufacturers’ shocks in a same category feel or perform the same. There are a lot of varying opinions on shocks, and the forums exaggerate the perceived need for expensive shocks. That said, there is a certain level that should probably be the minimum standard. That probably starts at Fox 2.0 or equivalent if you are upgrading from stock.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
And the Fox 2.0 is in fact an upgrade from the Rubicon Fox shocks, as valving set by FCA is different to the valving Fox sets. And, Fox will rebuild their 2.0's and/or revalve them, which they won't for the Rubicon shocks.

You can get good results for less $$ but you can also really foul up your rig with crummy shocks.

Don't forget to look at King if you want to go to the $$$$ side of the shock fence.

Yes, Fox makes remote reservoir shocks too. Generally, monotube or hydro shocks is all anyone really needs for light duty street/trail use. If you’re doing any high-speed stuff, a remote reservoir shock helps keep temperatures/fading down. That’s not to say that different manufacturers’ shocks in a same category feel or perform the same. There are a lot of varying opinions on shocks, and the forums exaggerate the perceived need for expensive shocks. That said, there is a certain level that should probably be the minimum standard. That probably starts at Fox 2.0 or equivalent if you are upgrading from stock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
SO are the shocks that come wth the Mopar lift kit dofferent in size( diameter from the Stock Rubicon shocks)? are they stiffer or softer ?

Kings would be nice but I like sleeping inside the house not outside which is where I would be if my wife thought I was spending $$$$ on shocks!

How do equivalent levels of fox and Falcons compare? Is there an apples to apples comaprison?

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
James @claytonoffroad advised they tested their 3.5" overland plus kit with the Fox shocks they have listed on their site. So, that's what I went with. I guessing the standard valving in the Fox shocks worked well for Claytons testing. " FOX PERFORMANCE SERIES 2.0 IFP SHOCKS " Oh and the price wasn't extremely expensive.

IDK, my kit doesn't arrive until January.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Bilstein B8 5160 remote reservoir shocks. They are $250 each compared to $350-$450 for the Fox and Falcon. I only ran the factory Sport S shocks for 700 miles, then I installed the 3.5" Skyjacker lift and their M95 monotube shocks. They were pretty nice but these Bilsteins are definitely a step up.

20201202_173556.jpg

20201202_173543.jpg
Sponsored