First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Never considered anyone taking those. I have a hard enough time storing them myself if I want to take them off. Maybe if someone takes them I’ll finally put the money out for the bestop sunrider I want.
$0 deductible comprehensive. If someone steals them the insurance will definitely pay for a bestop sunrider
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
There are several companies that make solid/mesh covers for the front or front/back. You may look into those, considerably less expensive than panels and I don't think you'd worry about it nearly as much. If my doors are off it means my full top is off too, but that's just me.

NotmyJt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Personally I don’t think it’s anything to worry about unless you park it in an area with a lot of junkies who steal anything for a fix but then why would you risk taking the doors and the back half off all summer. I guess an idea could be to drill a hole through the metal hinge and put a little padlock on it though

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
This is first I’ve read about a concern or even an actual theft in all my years in Jeeps, honestly. I’ve never worried about it. Also unusual for me to cruise doorless and leave the freedom tops on anyway. I wouldn’t worry about it.
I live in Albuquerque where d-bags steal or damage stuff just cuz. My buddy had his gas cap door ripped off the other day and no gas siphoned out. My other buddy's wife's van last week got keyed in Santa Fe. Why? They did it for no reason other then for just doing it. It's not getting any better out there. Now I don't sweat it. If something happens it does, what are you gonna do, shoot everyone?

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
I live in Albuquerque where d-bags steal or damage stuff just cuz. My buddy had his gas cap door ripped off the other day and no gas siphoned out. My other buddy's wife's van last week got keyed in Santa Fe. Why? They did it for no reason other then for just doing it. It's not getting any better out there. Now I don't sweat it. If something happens it does, what are you gonna do, shoot everyone?
Yup. I come from a place where the junkies will steal your shoes then come over next week to sell them back to you.

People make the mistake of thinking something won't happen cause they wouldn't do it. Seen too much of the opposite.

Last edited:

Sponsored

twbranch

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Metrologist
Oh right on!

So you are saying I can tighten them down and the plastic wedges won't turn... then go a step further and replace one with a specialty bit so it'd be a PITA to loosen. ..

Do I get it now? Sounds promising
Yea it was early and hell I didn't know what I was writing. It's just a suggestion. I have never tried a new bolt but I tighten mine down to snug....trying not break anything. It's more of a deterrent than anything.

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
In my experience lol if someone is going to steal something, they're getting the whole vehicle. Or at least the easiest least noticeable object on the vehicle due too time and video surveillance in today's society. And believe me if a real thief wants your ride or your rides parts they will get them and it doesn't matter what alarm, shut offs, or deterrent systems you have. I have a friend who's wife had her new Porsche locked in they're garage with home security in a gated neighborhood keys in the house, and woke up to no Porsche in the garage. Real thieves are going to get it if they want it no matter what you do.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
In my experience lol if someone is going to steal something, they're getting the whole vehicle. Or at least the easiest least noticeable object on the vehicle due too time and video surveillance in today's society. And believe me if a real thief wants your ride or your rides parts they will get them and it doesn't matter what alarm, shut offs, or deterrent systems you have. I have a friend who's wife had her new Porsche locked in they're garage with home security in a gated neighborhood keys in the house, and woke up to no Porsche in the garage. Real thieves are going to get it if they want it no matter what you do.

Yeah....

So I'm not worried about a "real thief".

Yup if they want it they'll get it. I hear ya.

I'm not talking about gate hop'n, code grabbing, tech wielding, red laser avoiding, super theives here.

I'm just hoping to mitigate the harm crackheads and meth addicts have on my life. Appreciate the input though.

My experience is if an item has any value and a crackhead has the opportunity to take it, thats what they do. Ymmv

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Seems like an easy $100 bucks for anyone that knows it takes less than 30 seconds to pop them off. Actually plan on riding with the back and all doors off but the front panels on quite a bit. Summer heat.
You plan on running no doors, no top, but keeping freedom panels on? I’d be more worried about losing them driving than to some miscreant. What it sounds like you need is a mesh sunshade. Then you can leave the panels safely at home

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Did a search and didn't really see anything...

Anyhow, it occurred to me yesterday just how quick and easy it would be for my freedom panels to simply "walk away" with my doors off and I'm out and about.

Kinda surprised it doesn't have any sort of lock on em.

Anybody see anything aftermarket? Ideas?
What have you done to ensure your panels stay where you want them and don't find a new home?

Pic for fun
20210331_194434.jpg
Sunrider top for hardtop, best mod ever!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
You plan on running no doors, no top, but keeping freedom panels on? I’d be more worried about losing them driving than to some miscreant.
Panels are designed to be run front only if wanted. Did around 70 this morning doing just as you describe. They are fine.

Appreciate all the suggestions for a sunrider top and just the participation in general but... and don't want to sound like an ass...

I'm asking for ideas/conversation on how to secure freedom panels from potential theft folks, not what to replace them with or why I shouldn't worry about them being stolen. Thanks

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I am not sure why someone would want to steal them but you could put a security bit in place of one of the screws to throw off would be thieves.
methheads (and stupid kids) do crazy s**t.

Outside of a quick buck on ebay/CL, the panels don't lend themselves to a quick theft.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I'm asking for ideas/conversation on how to secure freedom panels from potential theft folks, not what to replace them with or why I shouldn't worry about them being stolen. Thanks
I think the idea of the additional screw was not replacing the torx screw but adding another one lower down on the lever. Then removal at least requires a tool and not just a flick of the wrist.

Jeep Gladiator Freedom panel security Asset 2@2x

Just make sure it's a short one!

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
Seems like flawless logic to me :like:

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Hey... since I got your attention... just bought the gladiator trail cover... how come it doesn't fit in the supplied bag without the effort of six greek gods?

I haven't messed with it too much, just opened it about an hour ago, as folded by factory, will not go in the bag. I guess I could fold it a bunch and see but I'm just gonna put it in a grocery bag I guess.

It don't fit.
Sponsored