First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
Did a search and didn't really see anything...

Anyhow, it occurred to me yesterday just how quick and easy it would be for my freedom panels to simply "walk away" with my doors off and I'm out and about.

Kinda surprised it doesn't have any sort of lock on em.

Anybody see anything aftermarket? Ideas?
What have you done to ensure your panels stay where you want them and don't find a new home?

Pic for fun
Jeep Gladiator Freedom panel security 20210331_194434
Sponsored

twbranch

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Metrologist
I am not sure why someone would want to steal them but you could put a security bit in place of one of the screws to throw off would be thieves.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is first I’ve read about a concern or even an actual theft in all my years in Jeeps, honestly. I’ve never worried about it. Also unusual for me to cruise doorless and leave the freedom tops on anyway. I wouldn’t worry about it.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
This is first I’ve read about a concern or even an actual theft in all my years in Jeeps, honestly. I’ve never worried about it. Also unusual for me to cruise doorless and leave the freedom tops on anyway. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Yeah. I get the don't worry about it attitude and I'm kinda right there with you up until I think of some of the assholes I've met in my life that would do it just for the laughs.

Seems like an easy $100 bucks for anyone that knows it takes less than 30 seconds to pop them off. Actually plan on riding with the back and all doors off but the front panels on quite a bit. Summer heat.

I am not sure why someone would want to steal them but you could put a security bit in place of one of the screws to throw off would be thieves.
What screws? Do you mean the back larger panel? Not as worried about that. Though I like the idea.

Lol maybe I have a problem but I don't even like keeping my screws in the thing under the seat.

Maybe I've just meet too many jerks but always better not to give them the easy option.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s sort of like stealing 2 wheels tho. Unless someone just needs the panels (which is unusual) then they need the entire top too.

Unless they’re just being assholes.

Sponsored

twbranch

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Metrologist
Yeah. I get the don't worry about it attitude and I'm kinda right there with you up until I think of some of the assholes I've met in my life that would do it just for the laughs.

Seems like an easy $100 bucks for anyone that knows it takes less than 30 seconds to pop them off. Actually plan on riding with the back and all doors off but the front panels on quite a bit. Summer heat.

What screws?
The screws /bolts whatever you want to call them that you loosen for the top to come off.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
The screws /bolts whatever you want to call them that you loosen for the top to come off.
Sorry

?

You turn 3 plastic wedges then unlatch a metal latch. I don't know what screws you refer.

Are you talking about the back? I mean the front, freedom panels, not the large back end.

twbranch

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Metrologist
Sorry

?

You turn 3 plastic wedges then unlatch a metal latch. I don't know what screws you refer.

Are you talking about the back? I mean the front, freedom panels, not the large back end.
yea the torx screws on the latches. I keep mine tight at all times unless I loosen them to remove the top. You could put a security screw in one of those to throw off would be thieves. I apologize, it is early.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
It’s sort of like stealing 2 wheels tho. Unless someone just needs the panels (which is unusual) then they need the entire top too.

Unless they’re just being assholes.
Yeah, I'm not thinking there is gonna be a crime wave of it occuring or anything...

I'm more interested in making it harder for the would be, one off, opportunist, who just decided that its worth a try and his buddy might buy them, etc... whatever.

Why make it easy?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
yea the torx screws on the latches. I keep mine tight at all times unless I loosen them to remove the top. You could put a security screw in one of those to throw off would be thieves. I apologize, it is early.
Oh right on!

So you are saying I can tighten them down and the plastic wedges won't turn... then go a step further and replace one with a specialty bit so it'd be a PITA to loosen. ..

Do I get it now? Sounds promising

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Don't alarms work anymore? I dont know what sets it off anymore (shock g sensor). Seems like a motion sensing alarm would work and protect anything else loose in your vehicle. ...................Or to entertain your freedom panel concern, drill a small hole in the release handle and thread ski/snowboard lock.

dakine-cool-ski-snowboard-lock-.jpg

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
Don't alarms work anymore? I dont know what sets it off anymore (shock g sensor). Seems like a motion sensing alarm would work and protect anything else loose in your vehicle. ...................Or to entertain your freedom panel concern, drill a small hole in the release handle and thread ski/snowboard lock.

Jeep Gladiator Freedom panel security dakine-cool-ski-snowboard-lock-
I'm a sport model sans S so an alarm would be a delve into technology I've deemed to be the literal devil so I can't go there...

Good question on if the alarm would help with this at all, no idea though. I'm guessing the stock alarm allows all kinda bum naps with the doors off, lol

Like the lock idea. Will match my roll up windows.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
When the doors come off, so do the tee tops.
I don't disagree but my plan is to keep them off all summer, thinking the freedom panels on up front can help me make a nice, cold air/no sun zone.

Guess I could always just drive faster if I get hot. Haha
Sponsored