Sponsored

Frontrunner Slimline II Roof Rack - Has Anyone Mounted On Front of Cab?

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have an iKamper RTT that covers part of the rear of the cab. I need a roof rack for the front. This Slimline II rack shows it mounted on the rear of the cab. It's a gutter mount, so I don't see why I couldn't mount it all the way forward. The rack is 37.6" and I have about 42" from the RTT to the front end of the gutter. Has anyone tried this with the Frontrunner rack?

Are there any other options for a roof rack for the front? I remember a thread where someone took a full rack and cut part of it off, but I can't find the thread.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/jeep-gladiator-jt-2019-current-slii-roof-rack-kit.html

Jeep Gladiator Frontrunner Slimline II Roof Rack - Has Anyone Mounted On Front of Cab? 1697631028437

Jeep Gladiator Frontrunner Slimline II Roof Rack - Has Anyone Mounted On Front of Cab? 1697631134468
Sponsored

Last edited:

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
😬. I am actually really surprised to see front runners rack is only gutter mounted. I have seen too many jk/jl tops bust the gutter portion of the fiberglass to even consider one.

Your tent overhang does pose unique challenges. What’s the clearance? Would be nice if rhino rack made a low profile through top for the rear with low enough mount for the front to be supported… thought being that the rear is through top mounted and supported with the front just being “stabilized”

Have you looked up the dynamic load rating for this rack/called them? Would be curious to know… front runner and rhino rack are the only two that I know of that actually give a Dynamic load rating.

OP
OP
HereWeGo

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
😬. I am actually really surprised to see front runners rack is only gutter mounted. I have seen too many jk/jl tops bust the gutter portion of the fiberglass to even consider one.

Your tent overhang does pose unique challenges. What’s the clearance? Would be nice if rhino rack made a low profile through top for the rear with low enough mount for the front to be supported… thought being that the rear is through top mounted and supported with the front just being “stabilized”

Have you looked up the dynamic load rating for this rack/called them? Would be curious to know… front runner and rhino rack are the only two that I know of that actually give a Dynamic load rating.
Front-runner also has racks with supports that go down to the cowling and are drilled through the roof. I really don't want to drill through the roof! My rack will only hold some lightweight items, so I don't worry too much about the load. But thank you for the thoughts on dynamic load, I will keep that in mind.

OP
OP
HereWeGo

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the reply about rack load from Frontrunner. I definitely won't have 220 lbs up there.

"Our engineers have dialed in a safe static load rating at 660lbs (300kg). We do not claim a dynamic load rating because there are far too many variables to accurately test. A good rule of thumb is, your dynamic load should be about 1/3 of your static. However, you always want to be aware of your vehicle’s specific load ratings and always load your Front Runner Rack with evenly dispersed weight."

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I had a JCR Offroad half rack that held traction boards and then a solar panel.

When we got the Tepui Basin and had to position the tent forward to stop the horrific wallowing, the half-rack had to go.

At first I removed the rear section of the half-rack to gain a little room. It doesn't look like you can do that with yours.

I would be a little leery of putting more weight on the freedom panels, as they are not as rigid as the back half of the roof.

Dkman71

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Buy one designed for the front. Trailrax and Sherpa both have them
Sponsored