First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My JTR is on order. My current JLR has a poison spyder bruiser stubby front bumper that I've been happy with. My only complaint with the bruiser bumper was I barely had 3 threads to bolt onto after passing thru the spacers. It always made me feel nervous that the bumper was going to pull off during a recovery, though it's been fine, even after multiple winch pulls (the winch tray bolts directly to the frame, which put me much more at ease) and a recovery via front D link. It's enough to make me think about going a different route for the JTR.

There are numerous articles on full size vs stubby. I was pretty settled on a full size ( currently the Fab Fours Lifestyle is the front runner https://fabfours.com/product/jeep-gladiator-lifestyle-winch-bumper ), but then I look at most site build trucks that run stubby. I won't be aggressive obstacle running. Mostly snow and beach, but in back country Oregon, you never know what to expect.

Looking for recommendations and personal experience. I'll have the steel bumper on the JTR and could just run that & take off the end caps if I want stubby, but I've never been a fan of those red recovery hooks. I much prefer a full D link. I don't trust those hooks if the vehicle isn't straight on recovery.

Thoughts?

My current JLR

Jeep Gladiator Full Size vs Stubby Front bumper 2021-01-24 16.47.28
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Personally, I went with full width for maximum protection on the roads.

The places I offroad are more like scenic drives through the woods than climbing trees, rocks, ledges. So I really don't have concerns with hanging up on something or need more tire clearance.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had the Rugged Ridge Spartacus bumper on my JL and I just had one put on my JT you can go full width or you can take the Ends off for the Stubby look If you want so the best of both worlds

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

OP
OP
OregonGladiator
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
that's a nice looking RR bumper. looks very similar to the mopar steel bumper (without the wings), but it has those red hooks.

I think I need to start another thread strictly on the viability of those hooks. since multiple companies (including mopar) use them, I have to assume they're safe, but they make me nervous. most trail vehicle recoveries are because the rig slid off the trail, meaning they're on an angle and need to be pulled back up on the trail. that means, a lot of times, you're strapped on an angle to one of those hooks and pulling on an angle. I've never seen it happen, but it seems to me there's too much opportunity for the hook/strap to slip off that hook vs. a closed loop with a D link.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Ahhhh, recovery hooks.

Completely unsafe for any situation. I do heavy rigging at work on numerous occasions. We don't use anything that is open faced. Hook on chainfall has to have a functioning mouse or it is red tagged.

Anytime you load rigging and the load moves, you have a rebound affect. On that rebound the rigging can come off an open faced hook. People can get hurt and property can be damaged.

I would prefer taking a soft tie choker to the frame rail over using the recovery hooks.

People will say " I use them all the time and never have an issue" they are leaving off "YET" and that one time can get nasty.

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
that's a nice looking RR bumper. looks very similar to the mopar steel bumper (without the wings), but it has those red hooks.

I think I need to start another thread strictly on the viability of those hooks. since multiple companies (including mopar) use them, I have to assume they're safe, but they make me nervous. most trail vehicle recoveries are because the rig slid off the trail, meaning they're on an angle and need to be pulled back up on the trail. that means, a lot of times, you're strapped on an angle to one of those hooks and pulling on an angle. I've never seen it happen, but it seems to me there's too much opportunity for the hook/strap to slip off that hook vs. a closed loop with a D link.
Have used the OEM hooks may times on other Jeep’s and it’s never been an issue

OP
OP
OregonGladiator
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
amen.

not related to recovery hooks, but I was at a recovery where a jeep was winching out another vehicle and had a steel winch line that snapped. thank god people were smart and standing with a good sized tree between them and the winch line (they didn't put a blanket on the line to weigh it down). the steel line was buried a good 6" into the tree and we had to cut the steel line with bolt cutters and leave it in the tree. 3 people could have easily lost their lives that day.

I'm sure OEM hooks are 'mostly' safe, otherwise manufacturers wouldn't use them... but as stated, it's that one time. I'm sure its just my personal preference. I just prefer D links over recovery hooks.

I'm still on the fence with stubby vs. full. sounds like weight is a consideration. ultimately the JTR will be on a 2" lift with 37s. I like the more complete front end protection, but there's often downed trees on trails. most times that's chain saw & winch line pulling, so still leaning full size.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Have used the OEM hooks may times on other Jeep’s and it’s never been an issue
As @kevman65 said, it's not an issue until it's an issue and the kinetic energy generated by a 3T truck creates some very dangerous situations.

@OregonGladiator three threads?? Yikes. At a bare minimum with good hardware, you should have thread engagement equivalent to the diameter of the bolt on a tapped hole in steel or completely through the nut if one is provided. That feels like a seriously insufficient connection there that is not going to fare well if the bumper is used for what it is intended. I would suggest replacing that hardware ASAP.

In regards to your question, a stubby is good for tire clearance (some full-width like ARB will rub on 37s, especially with adjustable LCAs that push the tire forward into its correct position) and for getting a tire up on an obstacle where a full-width might contact the obstacle. If you don't plan on those situations then a full-width is more likely than not just fine.

OP
OP
OregonGladiator
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
thank you for the feedback @LostWoods.

I agree. 3 threads caused me concern, but in a few weeks, my JTR will be in. I will say, that poison spyder bumper was on the JL for 3 years and took some abuse on a few occasions. after every time, I checked all 8 bolts and even originally marked the bolts so I could see if the nuts had moved. never an issue, but it is why I'm not looking at poison spyder again for the JTR.

compelling argument for going to stubby on 37s. the 2" lift should mitigate wheel well issues (I should never need 100% articulation) but, depending on the bumper, it could be an issue.

I haven't seen a good stubby I like, but there's tons of options out there. I'll keep looking for a good plan B... but recommendations welcome. Ideally, sunken winch recess + bull bar (either welded or add on).

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
thank you for the feedback @LostWoods.

I agree. 3 threads caused me concern, but in a few weeks, my JTR will be in. I will say, that poison spyder bumper was on the JL for 3 years and took some abuse on a few occasions. after every time, I checked all 8 bolts and even originally marked the bolts so I could see if the nuts had moved. never an issue, but it is why I'm not looking at poison spyder again for the JTR.

compelling argument for going to stubby on 37s. the 2" lift should mitigate wheel well issues (I should never need 100% articulation) but, depending on the bumper, it could be an issue.

I haven't seen a good stubby I like, but there's tons of options out there. I'll keep looking for a good plan B... but recommendations welcome. Ideally, sunken winch recess + bull bar (either welded or add on).
I chose the ARB stubby and absolutely love it. Super beefy and I love the fat bull bar and round lights look. Only complaint I have is that the light mounting brackets that come with it are pre-drilled for ARB's own round lights which want an M12 center and two offset screws. Would be nice if they had smaller holes for the 3/8" that most US market lights use but nothing a drill can't fix.

Sponsored

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I went with the arb stubby as well. No complaints, customer service has been phenomenal. As for the lights, I went with the knock of arb lights and the hardware was fine. I will say, if you don’t have a winch the gap is pretty large and there is not plate to cover the space with.
Jeep Gladiator Full Size vs Stubby Front bumper 187D18F0-6208-4D57-944A-A0D40193948F
Jeep Gladiator Full Size vs Stubby Front bumper AB5AA7DA-C717-4810-AF0B-038D272AB498
Jeep Gladiator Full Size vs Stubby Front bumper 79F0A263-7952-426A-AD4D-6319B54E99AD

Redjk07

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Self Employed
Love that bumper just wish they would have engineered some light cut outs into it.
All I did was install a Light bracket on the winch fairlead. Going to put some KC Pro 6 lights there and wire them into the fog light switch.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Love that bumper just wish they would have engineered some light cut outs into it.
That's the Crusher one, their other one the Hammer is similar but with lights.

The difference is in winch mounting location, the Hammer is on top and the Crusher is recessed. You could use a hole saw to cut some lights in on the far edges but they would be at an angle and you would need some trim rings. Doable if you spend a little time on it.
Sponsored