• Poll closed .

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So I gave the Gladiator a car wash yesterday, as it got a little dirty this weekend playing in some mud. But it got me wondering how many people on here actually wash their trucks by hand? My wife doesn't like how long it takes but there are a lot of crevices and of course I want to do a good job! I'm just assuming there are going to be a lot that do this, and especially more than the average driver who washes a sedan. I had my last car for nine years and never washed it by hand, only went to the carwash when I got a free one for whatever reason. Also feel free to post recommended products here! I'm just using some armor all wash and wax, and their wheel and tire cleaners
Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
You need to add the option of "Both". I use a drive-thru car wash most of the time and dry/vacuum it afterward. If the day is nice and I have the time, I'll handwash. There are those who insist the Jeep looks best when dirty but I just don't work that way...gotta take care of it and keep it clean...

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You need to add the option of "Both". I use a drive-thru car wash most of the time and dry/vacuum it afterward. If the day is nice and I have the time, I'll handwash. There are those who insist the Jeep looks best when dirty but I just don't work that way...gotta take care of it and keep it clean...
Fair enough, I'll throw that in there. I'll have to use the carwash in winter and that's when it'll need it most. Really just wanted to start a dialogue with those that do, see how long they take and products they use. I have the Sunrider on and one review said the reviewer took it through a carwash and it ruined it. That could have been user error but if there are any watch-outs, that'll be nice to know.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I gave the Gladiator a car wash yesterday, as it got a little dirty this weekend playing in some mud. But it got me wondering how many people on here actually wash their trucks by hand? My wife doesn't like how long it takes but there are a lot of crevices and of course I want to do a good job! I'm just assuming there are going to be a lot that do this, and especially more than the average driver who washes a sedan. I had my last car for nine years and never washed it by hand, only went to the carwash when I got a free one for whatever reason. Also feel free to post recommended products here! I'm just using some armor all wash and wax, and their wheel and tire cleaners
I decided to go with ceramic coating, so since I don't have to wax, I thought washing by hand was not much of a sacrifice, but did have to by a small ladder to reach the roof, If I lived where temps go to freezing I would definitely rethink that during winter months

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I decided to go with ceramic coating, so since I don't have to wax, I thought washing by hand was not much of a sacrifice, but did have to by a small ladder to reach the roof, If I lived where temps go to freezing I would definitely rethink that during winter months
I've been thinking about the ceramic coating. Did you DIY or have it done professionally? How'd it go?

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about the ceramic coating. Did you DIY or have it done professionally? How'd it go?
I had mine done professionally, I wanted something that would last and heard to many horror stories of good coating not applied correctly. I know it is mostly in the preparation before applying but for the expense of a coating that should hold up for 5 years and I park outside, I thought I would go with a reputable detail shop that will be around if the coating needs to be reapplied. Small price to pay after investing $50000 in a vehicle

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
What timing! I literally just washed my Gladiator and went inside to eat lunch. I fired up the computer and here we are..

I hand wash my two daily drivers (including Gladiator) at least 1x a week (some of my other vehicles I haven't "wet washed" in years as I use water-less wash or detail spray on them every time they are taken out).

I typically hand wash with warm water down into the low 40's as long as the sun is out. If its too cold to hand wash (freezing temps), I bring my daily drivers to my local car wash which offers monthly contracts. Typically, I pay for January and February. Their washes are "unlimited". Meaning you can go every day if you want. That works out perfect for after the snow flies. Since I pass it regularly, I've stopped up to 5 times in one week for quick washes.

I've washed my cars so many times, I have it down to a science. I use Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax to wash with. Then, a water blade to get most of the water off and a spray of Griots Spray-on Wax which enhances the wax and also assist in drying (Do not use Griot's Best of Show Spray on wax while car is wet- its a different product.) Wheels get cleaned with Griot's wheel cleaner and Griots wheel brushes (including in the dish portions). My other vehicles (not the Gladiator) get a coating of Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel which doesn't sling like many dressing do.

Yes, my neighbors think I'm crazy as my cars are always spotless. I'm also known in town as "the guy with the clean cars".

kahuna357

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Subarua CrossTrek, 02TJ, 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Mostly retired
I typically hand wash with warm water down into the low 40's as long as the sun is out. If its too cold to hand wash (freezing temps), I bring my daily drivers to my local car wash which offers monthly contracts. Typically, I pay for January and February. Their washes are "unlimited". Meaning you can go every day if you want. That works out perfect for after the snow flies. Since I pass it regularly, I've stopped up to 5 times in one week for quick washes.
Pretty much what I do except maybe very high 40's for me lol

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
I don’t mind a little dirt, but if I go through mud, I have to wash the Jeep right away with my power washer.

No drive thru car wash for me.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
I don’t have my gladiator yet (maybe next week), but I took our JL to a local (brand new) car wash and was pretty disappointed. Maybe it’s because we don’t wash the JL very often, but I don’t think it did a very good job- left lots of dirt - especially In places with right angles like where the fenders meet the body and behind any parts like hinges or handles. It also didn’t do anything for the front grille or lights. I expect my gladiator will have similar issues with automatic car washes.

Sponsored

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
Handwash in above-freeing temps for me. I'll use the drive-through carwash during the winter to keep the salt off.

However....I ONLY go through the "touchless" washes with the spray. I'll never subject one of my vehicles (including my 04 TJ) to a wash that uses the spinning rubber flaps. It's like taking sandpaper to your vehicle's finish

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
This Mall Crawler gets hand washed from top to bottom. That includes the undercarriage.

Bruce

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
This Mall Crawler gets hand washed from top to bottom. That includes the undercarriage.

Bruce
Nothing wrong with that! I have another vehicle that I typically put up on the lift once or twice a year just to pull the wheels and undertrays to give a full detail underneath.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with that! I have another vehicle that I typically put up on the lift once or twice a year just to pull the wheels and undertrays to give a full detail underneath.
Yep same here. I have 4 fun vehicles to deal with.

Bruce

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So, poll closed and thanks for the votes and responses! Takeaways:

62 total votes, so small sample size, but enough to analyze:

• ~ 2/3rds of us prefer to wash their Jeep Truck by hand.
  • ~ 10% don't wash it (What's wrong with you? Lol)
  • And 1/4th almost exclusively use the carwash
Interesting mainly because I doubt 2/3rd's of vehicle owners even wash their cars, so we obviously care more about our vehicle than most people. Congrats to those of you who prefer to spend 1+ with the truck, making it look showroom ready and shirking whatever other responsibilities you have just to do it!
Sponsored