Sponsored

FYI. Rear driveshaft recal

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
Anyone have an update as to when the part may be available? I purchased a Rubicon this past Saturday, 9-7-19, and was advised that the sale was unable to be completed until the recall is resolved, i.e. there was a stop-sale order on my Rubicon meaning I was unable to take delivery and finalize the sale paperwork.

At least they didn’t take my JKURX in trade until the Gladiator is delivered so I’ve got free miles...would rather be driving the new Rubicon.
2.JPG
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The recall is about what most would consider and call the drivershaft center support bearing and not the actual joint. Calling it a "monoblock" is more of an engineering term. For whatever stupid reason FCA did not make this center support bearing a serviceable separate item like it would in most other vehicle makes that use a similar setup.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The recall is about what most would consider and call the drivershaft center support bearing and not the actual joint. Calling it a "monoblock" is more of an engineering term. For whatever stupid reason FCA did not make this center support bearing a serviceable separate item like it would in most other vehicle makes that use a similar setup.
Sir - are you referring to what we always called the "carrier bearing" in truck driveshafts where there was a center joint due to length of the total shaft and the flex involved?
I can't even recall all of the truck driveshaft carrier bearings I have replaced.

So in this case it's the carrier bearing and not the driveshaft per se - right?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I didn't realize that it was confusing to some people until I was reading through another Jeep forum earlier. Yes this recall covers the carrier bearing not the rzeppa joints. Mine is not listed under the recall but if I ever have problems with it in the future I will just replace the entire shaft with a one piece shaft which is what Jeep should have done in the 1st place.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Sir - are you referring to what we always called the "carrier bearing" in truck driveshafts where there was a center joint due to length of the total shaft and the flex involved?
I can't even recall all of the truck driveshaft carrier bearings I have replaced.

So in this case it's the carrier bearing and not the driveshaft per se - right?
Yeah, the carrier bearing or center support bearing. For whatever reason, it is not a separate serviceable unit like most other vehicles and the whole drive shaft assembly on both sides of and with the bearing have to be replace as one unit.

Attached is a pic of the Gladiator rear driveshaft assembly.

s-l1600.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the carrier bearing or center support bearing. For whatever reason, it is not a separate serviceable unit like most other vehicles and the whole drive shaft assembly on both sides of and with the bearing have to be replace as one unit.

Attached is a pic of the Gladiator rear driveshaft assembly.

s-l1600.jpg
And that's silly- I mean it's a dang bearing. Why not make it replaceable or serviceable.
I was right about what I thought it was.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
And that's silly- I mean it's a dang bearing. Why not make it replaceable or serviceable.
I was right about what I thought it was.
Given enough time, I am sure the aftermarket will find a way to replace it if economically viable. I suspect from FCA's perspective, it is either a maintenance intensive high tolerance press fit and/or replacement requires the assembly to be re balanced as a set and most dealerships are not setup for driveshaft balancing and it is a all or nothing replacement.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Given enough time, I am sure the aftermarket will find a way to replace it if economically viable. I suspect from FCA's perspective, it is either a maintenance intensive high tolerance press fit and/or replacement requires the assembly to be re balanced as a set and most dealerships are not setup for driveshaft balancing and it is a all or nothing replacement.
That may be it.

I took my Eagle driveshaft to a performance driveline outfit - they replaced the yokes with better, polished and balanced the shaft. It really wasn't far off but had a vibration I was chasing down and hey, it's my baby............
They showed me some stuff they've run across that would make you wonder WTF............
Like a Chevy driveshaft with the yokes out of phase, among other things. Factory issues.
Most dealerships are only equipped for basic stuff - decent at most things, REALLY good at very few.
Most are parts swappers, not diagnosticians. IMO, anyway........
Sponsored