Sponsored

Genesis dual battery bracket installed

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Put in the Genesis bracket and batteries today, very straight forward install. If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to help. Waiting on Shane (Mr. Genesis) to let me know if I can use aux switch 4 in the momentary mode instead of the push button switch on the bracket. I was hoping that I can use my inside switch, if ever my battery goes down, instead of having to open the hood. That's why the blue wire coiled is still not yet hooked up.

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I watched the Genesis install video. I didn't want to take things that far apart, and remove the ESS battery. I mainly didn't want to spend that much money.

Instead, I bought a battery box and a Cole Hersee Smart Isolator off Amazon. I'm going to mount the the battery behind the right rear wheel, and then run cable up and mount the Isolator by the battery.

This will give me a separate battery for the winch and lights, which is charged by the alternator, and I'll only have to buy one new battery.

If the Aux switch can be programmed for momentary operation, it should be able to activate the boost function. The only problem is if the main battery is low, it may not have enough juice to get the boost to activate. I believe they have it wired so the voltage to activate the boost comes from the auxiliary battery.

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I watched the Genesis install video. I didn't want to take things that far apart, and remove the ESS battery. I mainly didn't want to spend that much money.

Instead, I bought a battery box and a Cole Hersee Smart Isolator off Amazon. I'm going to mount the the battery behind the right rear wheel, and then run cable up and mount the Isolator by the battery.

This will give me a separate battery for the winch and lights, which is charged by the alternator, and I'll only have to buy one new battery.

If the Aux switch can be programmed for momentary operation, it should be able to activate the boost function. The only problem is if the main battery is low, it may not have enough juice to get the boost to activate. I believe they have it wired so the voltage to activate the boost comes from the auxiliary battery.
I usually do the same with all my trucks. For my second battery I generally use a deep cycle marine battery that's made to get drained and recharged repeatedly. I put things like a winch on the 2nd battery, and the starter on the normal battery. Everything else goes to a massive manual switch. When I get to camp I switch things over and changes everything to run off the second battery. I can run lights, play music, whatever all night long and not worry about having a dead battery in the morning.

Just one note -- your isolator will probably die before your alternator. So someday, 10 years from now, when your truck suddenly turns off on the freeway with no juice (still coasting at 75mph thanks to momentum, but with no gauges or power anything) and you think your alternator has died, try replacing the isolator first! (Can you tell I learned this the hard way only one month ago?)

mortalsphere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator wannabe
I usually do the same with all my trucks. For my second battery I generally use a deep cycle marine battery that's made to get drained and recharged repeatedly. I put things like a winch on the 2nd battery, and the starter on the normal battery. Everything else goes to a massive manual switch. When I get to camp I switch things over and changes everything to run off the second battery. I can run lights, play music, whatever all night long and not worry about having a dead battery in the morning.

Just one note -- your isolator will probably die before your alternator. So someday, 10 years from now, when your truck suddenly turns off on the freeway with no juice (still coasting at 75mph thanks to momentum, but with no gauges or power anything) and you think your alternator has died, try replacing the isolator first! (Can you tell I learned this the hard way only one month ago?)
Reviving this just to ask if you could share pictures or a link of your setup? I'm researching how to do this at the moment. Thanks!

Sponsored

Bug out

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Put in the Genesis bracket and batteries today, very straight forward install. If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to help. Waiting on Shane (Mr. Genesis) to let me know if I can use aux switch 4 in the momentary mode instead of the push button switch on the bracket. I was hoping that I can use my inside switch, if ever my battery goes down, instead of having to open the hood. That's why the blue wire coiled is still not yet hooked up.

Jeep Gladiator Genesis dual battery bracket installed IMG_6396

Jeep Gladiator Genesis dual battery bracket installed IMG_6396
This set up is probably just what I am looking for. Its probably written there in your post , but did you take the auxiliary battery right out ?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This set up is probably just what I am looking for. Its probably written there in your post , but did you take the auxiliary battery right out ?
Go to the Genesis site and watch the installation video. It should answer most of your questions. Removing the ESS battery is part of the process.
Sponsored