Sponsored

New here....Genesis OffRoad Dual Battery Install???

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I didn't see this earlier but my local shop is going to begin selling this kit soon... it's a DC-DC charging setup that (IMO) is way cleaner and works better than the solenoid setup from Genesis.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...5w-lensun-hood-solar-panel.46542/#post-757531
That's kind of a different product for a different reason. It matters if people are using the Genesis system for overlanding and are stopped.

Its not really relevant if the goal is how to prevent a problem with the aux batt from
1) shutting down the vehicle and making it undriveable.
2) destroying the main batt in the process.
Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
That's kind of a different product for a different reason. It matters if people are using the Genesis system for overlanding and are stopped.

Its not really relevant if the goal is how to prevent a problem with the aux batt from
1) shutting down the vehicle and making it undriveable.
2) destroying the main batt in the process.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm confused on what you are saying here. Yes it's a different product, but the reasoning is the same.

Both the Genesis solenoid based system and the Redarc DC-DC system are doing the same thing in the end = providing charge to both batteries while protecting the house battery. They are just going about it a little differently.

Where the Redarc DC-DC system outperforms the the solenoid system is that it overcomes the obstacle of the Jeep's variable output alternator. The solenoid system will not charge the aux battery if the house battery voltage is a floating charge at 12.7V or less. Thus on a long road trip, if your fridge or other accessories are constantly running, the aux battery has a chance to deplete itself because it's not seeing a charge.

I believe it's very relevant to call out the difference of DC-DC charging (with built in Solar input capabilities as well) vs the solenoid setup as the solenoid setup may fail in providing needed juice to your aux battery in some conditions (i.e the OEM variable alternator and no solar input allowances). Any dual battery system IMO is superior to running down a single OEM battery style setup when connecting overlanding accessories.

Nice job OP on making your system work for you and going with a DC-DC setup :) I'm just trying to shine some light on differences not put anyone down.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm confused on what you are saying here. Yes it's a different product, but the reasoning is the same.

Both the Genesis solenoid based system and the Redarc DC-DC system are doing the same thing in the end = providing charge to both batteries while protecting the house battery. They are just going about it a little differently.

Where the Redarc DC-DC system outperforms the the solenoid system is that it overcomes the obstacle of the Jeep's variable output alternator. The solenoid system will not charge the aux battery if the house battery voltage is a floating charge at 12.7V or less. Thus on a long road trip, if your fridge or other accessories are constantly running, the aux battery has a chance to deplete itself because it's not seeing a charge.

I believe it's very relevant to call out the difference of DC-DC charging (with built in Solar input capabilities as well) vs the solenoid setup as the solenoid setup may fail in providing needed juice to your aux battery in some conditions (i.e the OEM variable alternator and no solar input allowances). Any dual battery system IMO is superior to running down a single OEM battery style setup when connecting overlanding accessories.

Nice job OP on making your system work for you and going with a DC-DC setup :) I'm just trying to shine some light on differences not put anyone down.
If a battery fails because of some kind of internal defect, a solar panel is not going to solve anything. It may mask the problem for a while. you may start up the car with both batteries full. But if the battery has failed, you will have a problem when you go to start it later that day.

If you believe that this problem is caused by healthy batteries self discharging, then your solution would work. But I don't believe that to be the case.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff
I got the install video done, if you want to see how it fits.

Sponsored