Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
@Dan Grec , looks like this couple will be down there around the same time you are. Their vids on traveling through Afganistan in their Defender were great

Sponsored

Last edited:

IRON4TH

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Problem Manager
Looking forward to following the adventure. I've been going through your YouTube videos for a little bit. Be safe, and enjoy the ride!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy to see you here too, I've been following you on U-tube for some time. Seeing your seat delete is another reason I'm thinking about doing mine over again. :like:

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler Rubicon, JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Overlander
@Dan Grec , looks like this couple will be down there around the same time you are. Their vids on traveling through Afganistan in their Defender were great

Absolutely! We've been in touch for a long time, and we will meet up somewhere on this big continent for sure!

-Dan

scoobycarolanNC

First Name
Scooby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave
YES BUDDY!!!
I’ve followed your blog for quite a while and when you finished Africa I just kept wondering “what’s next?” I think some of my favorite parts were you describing the various “trades” (aka bribes) you had to do along the way. I can’t wait to follow along on this adventure!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Just got done reading both books. I'm looking forward to following your next adventure.
That's awesome! Thanks for the support. I'd love to hear what you thought of them!

Volume 1 now feels like a distant memory, and I have to look at my own photos to remember bits and pieces.
Africa is still firmly on the front of my memory, and when I think about it I can remember every place I camped, everyone I met, every checkpoint. I think it's burned into my memory forever!

-Dan

-Dan

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
Great to see you on here Dan, loved your books (working through 2nd one now). Your first one really hit home for me. Engineer working in Calgary who loves to travel. I wish I had the balls to do what you did at a younger age before having kids. Good for you for being able to keep this up though, looking forward to following your next adventure.

On the note of your 2nd book, we did a few week camping road trip in SA/Botswana a few years ago and your descriptions of wildlife there is on point with my experience. It's so hard to put it in words how abundant it is there. I've seen less wildlife at some zoos than you see on a regular basis there, especially in some of the parks. I could sit there for hours and just watch them do nothing and continue to be amazed.

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi All,

In today's update I continue work on the rear storage box for the Gladiator.
I've decided to skin the lightweight frame I built with marine plywood and then I'll cover it with automotive felt to make it blend into the back of the Gladiator.
Dad and I also work to design and build a strong door with a fancy latch for the box, and it's all finished!

This storage system is inexpensive, lightweight, strong and simple to make at home with basic tools - which makes it absolutely perfect!

-Dan

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Seeing the different plan for storage after 60% seat delete, I decided to "redo" mine using the shipping crate my RLD topper came in this weekend. Having a third seat could be handy so after spending a few camping trips being rained on for days and mosquitos and bugs swarming for hours.
I've been using the good enough method not perfect for many years. Not being a perfect works to complete the job is worth it. Many people are to worried about perfection not function.

It's great seeing you get to spend time working with your father on a project.
I hope to follow your video's of your trip around Australia.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
It's great seeing you get to spend time working with your father on a project.
I hope to follow your video's of your trip around Australia.
It's a huge part of the reason I chose Australia for this trip!

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,

In today's HUGE YouTube episode I install what I'm calling 21st Century Dual isolated batteries with solar into my Gladiator.
Using a state of the art DC-DC charger with built-in MPPT Solar charge controller, a lightweight Lithium battery and a flexible 100W solar panel, this setup is a huge improvement in every way compared to my Africa Jeep.
If you've ever wanted to learn about dual isolated batteries, and the what/why and how of it all, this episode is for you!

I'm confident this is the best setup on the market for my needs, and I'm already impressed with how quickly and efficiently it's charging the house battery - and I don't even have the solar connected yet!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help if I can.

-Dan

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Love it! Can't wait to see what's next with the build!

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,

On the weekend I installed a Warn Zeon winch into my factory Rubicon front bumper using the Warn mounting kit.
For where I explore as a solo vehicle, I find a winch to be essential, and this option mounts the winch nice and low, meaning it's not blatantly obvious I have a winch, and it's also not blocking airflow into the radiator.
If nothing else, the winch is good insurance against my own stupidity like when I flopped my Jeep in Uganda, and got stuck in slick mud trying to turn around in Northern BC.

The winch kit is a straightforward install that is easy to do at home with hand tools.

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,

I just finished installing a set of Venom LED driving Lights from Lightforce, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the kit and the ease of install.
The Jeep LED lights are already the best I have ever driven with, and these driving lights still add an enormous amount of light.

I mounted them on the front bumper to keep them out of my line of sight, so there is no glare from the hood and so they're protected by the bumper hoop.
With the plug-n-play patch harness provided wiring was extremely simple, and I didn't have to cut or splice any factory wiring which I really like.
(I would prefer not to cut into factory wiring on a brand new vehicle if possible)

These lights push out 1 lux of light at 850meters! (half a mile), so the difference is staggering - I'll post some comparison photos with them on and off as soon as it stops raining!

-Dan
Sponsored