Gladiator long wheel base, no problem!

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Every ride is a family ride as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't be near as much fun without the people you care about.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Awesome to hear. I think my son might be even more excited about the truck coming in then me!

Tonellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ rubicon, 16 WK2
They made those obstacles look WAY harder than they are in real life. This is my LJ on 33s on the same first ledge in the picture.

They also didn't make it up even half of mabell and only ran blues/greens at field n forest. Was pretty disappointed to see such built rigs not do well up here. I think they might have been more accustomed to west coast wheeling...

The JTs in those videos did look amazing tho

JEEPS4.JPG

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
They made those obstacles look WAY harder than they are in real life. This is my LJ on 33s on the same first ledge in the picture.

They also didn't make it up even half of mabell and only ran blues/greens at field n forest. Was pretty disappointed to see such built rigs not do well up here. I think they might have been more accustomed to west coast wheeling...

JEEPS4.JPG
I wish those videos had the list of tires for each vehicle. Wonder what worked best there.

Tonellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ rubicon, 16 WK2
I wish those videos had the list of tires for each vehicle. Wonder what worked best there.
The white JT is crate Dana 60's f/r with hydro assist on 40" Nitto trail grapplers. Same with the PSC red gladiator. I'm pretty sure almost all of them are running the same 40" Nittos. The white PSC JL is prorock 60 f, prorock 80 r.

Sponsored

Tonellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ rubicon, 16 WK2
A good portion of the blame might be the Nitto's. This is my buddy in his JKU on 33" mrts locked f/r walking gatekeeper at mabell so the wheelbases are comparable

None of them made gatekeeper on tons and 40's...

mabell.JPG

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
Me and Tri-Jab are probably right around the corner from each other.
If you see a Destroyer Grey Rubicon driving around Rock Hill after late December - It's probably me!

:like:

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S

JEEPS4.JPG
Well vehicle/size designs of 15+ years ago are more capable can fit down trails take more lines IMO. The LJ rubicon is probably the most capable Jeep ever made if only I could find a good price on one. I love the wheelbase. Newer stuff is all pretty much full-size.
First time I ran it in my Old Tacoma TRD I did it with just sliders and skinny mud terrains, never got winched. I crushed my stock front bumper on that tree on the first ledge though:CWL:.

02D82684-FF6F-4817-B631-1A04109C207E.png

Tonellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ rubicon, 16 WK2
Well vehicle/size designs of 15+ years ago are more capable can fit down trails take more lines IMO. The LJ rubicon is probably the most capable Jeep ever made if only I could find a good price on one. I love the wheelbase. Newer stuff is all pretty much full-size.
First time I ran it in my Old Tacoma TRD I did it with just sliders and skinny mud terrains, never got winched. I crushed my stock front bumper on that tree on the first ledge though:CWL:.

02D82684-FF6F-4817-B631-1A04109C207E.png
Oof solid hit - better than getting sucked passenger into the ledge! I can't believe none of the way alife rigs managed to miss tagging the ledge especially in the slick conditions.

I absolutely love those later model years first gen tacos. If I could have ever found one that wasn't rotted/insanely priced I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

The way alife guys just posted another video up in Maine. Never been up there but looks tight like all NE trails. I do give them lots of credit for wheeling full size rigs around here

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The white JT is crate Dana 60's f/r with hydro assist on 40" Nitto trail grapplers. Same with the PSC red gladiator. I'm pretty sure almost all of them are running the same 40" Nittos. The white PSC JL is prorock 60 f, prorock 80 r.
interesting.....wonder what the JL guys were running.

Sponsored

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
I've recently watched several NITTO and EVO off roading youtube videos with guys wheeling a mix of JK, JL and JT and I must say there were several tough obstacles that the JLs struggled with and the JTs didn't. It looked like while the JL with shorter wheelbase didn't rub the rocks as much, the JT may have gotten more of the weight (front end) up over the obstacle and got more traction.

I guess my point being, after watching over 2 hours of modded JT's wheeling, there are times where JL is better, and times where JT is better. AND both are certainly capable of tackling some rough trail.
upload_2019-10-29_22-57-42.png

upload_2019-10-29_22-58-50.png
I cover a lot of rough trail on my mountain ranch... and after seeing early vids disparaging the JTs breakover... I expected the worst! In a month of driving rough, and often, no trail... I have never had an issue with breakover! And mine is still the stock LE (Rubi). Just pick a proper line, and the JT will walk over anything! If you belly up... odds are you picked a bad line! I’ve been especially surprised, when crawling over a particularly high obstacle, how, when I take it at an angle, with sway bar disconnected, the flex just floats the trucks belly right over it! ;{

F0B6093C-82D3-480B-85A8-355535EC74FB.jpeg

Last edited:

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Just pick a proper line, and the JT will walk over anything! If you belly up... odds are you picked a bad line! ;{
This has been my experience as well for the most part.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Part of the "Video" is the "show" advertising, notice how little to no concerns about damage. Why the part(s) will be replaced or repairs by sponsors directly or indirectly. Locals in the video wasn't showing up in video driving just guiding them along. I bought my XJ and modified for less than what was spent on the axles, tires and rims on one of those. I took it on most of trails in Tellico before it was closed. With the knowledge that I had to drive it home afterwards and pay for repair's. I've hooked up the winch many times and ignored the "jesters" that just want to see someone break there vehicles.
That last part will keep you straight.
Edits due to noticed grammar and spelling

Last edited:

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
some good discussion here. watching the highly entertaining videos quoted here i started to wonder how bad my stock Rubicon is going to do. Cannot wait to hit some trails in the NE this spring/summer/fall with my stock Rubicon (plus winch)

Tonellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ rubicon, 16 WK2
some good discussion here. watching the highly entertaining videos quoted here i started to wonder how bad my stock Rubicon is going to do. Cannot wait to hit some trails in the NE this spring/summer/fall with my stock Rubicon (plus winch)
Bad relative to what? Compared to a slightly modified TJ/XJ yeah its not going to perform the best at least dollar for dollar comparison, but relative to every single other off the production line pickup truck it will be an absolute beast.
Sponsored