First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Starting this thread as a place to plan, track build, and plan trip. The quick and dirty is we are waiting on the release of the Diesel powered Gladiator. We are then building up the Gladiator to be able to conquer the Pan American Highway.

Back story back in Feb 2010 I was blowup while in combat. Which lead not only to my retirement from the Army in 2013 after almost 18years if service. But also prevented me from being able to hold employment. We left Colorado to head to North Georgia to be closer to Family to give my wife help with me and my disabilities. I have been into Overlanding before it became popular. Starting out in a Jeep Cherokee back around 1988, into a VW Vanagon Camper, to a VW Eurovan Camper together as a couple around 1990. But life got in the wya and we ended up having to sell the camper. Resorting to weekend trips up to weeklong when able. We started again with a dedicated rig a FJ Cruiser in 2008, and upgraded to a 4Runner in 2015. But all along the way our dream has always been to get back out and do the longer trips. Unable to do so do to my military obligations we had to stick these dreams on the back burner. Now fast forward to today. We are actively not only planning the build, trip, but attempting to build up a Youtube, and sponsorships/relationships along the way. Please follow along and be welcome to join in on the conversation.

Our goal is beyond ourselves. In the end we are trying to not only complete this to prove I can do something like this.. Yet, we also want to be able to inspire others. That if we can do something like this my disabilities that anyone especially veteran can do something similar. We thought of Gladiator Overland/Overlanding. Our slogan is Get out and GO! Eventually we hope to be able to work hands on with other Disabled Veterans returning from post 9/11 Combat and show them what it truly is to be blue to get out and GO and enjoy life to the fullest. Thanks for your interest.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Needs Overlanding Build. Hold two full sized adults for long term trips. Ability to hold service dog, and another dog. Ability to live off grid in vehicle.

Planned Upgrades:

Note: haven’t nailed down some specifics. Feel free to discuss below in the comments.

Camper:
Patriot Campers PCOR Tray
Patriot Camper PCOR 3/4 Tray
Patriot Campers X1H Offroad Trailer

Options Lithium Batteries, James Baroud Rooftop Tent for Vehicle, Kitchen Module if only able to go with Canopy.

Tires:

( for vehicle, possibly for trailer), Undecided
37x12.50R17 BFGOODRICH Mud Terrain KM3
37x12.50R17 BFGOODRICH All Terrain KO2
35x12.50R17 BFGOODRICH Mud Terrain KM3
35x12.50R17 BFGOODRICH All Terrain KO2

Rims:

American Expedition Vehicles Borah Wheel 17x8.5R17
( https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-borah/#ring-option)
Bead-Lock Ring

Engine:
GDE Diesel Tune
Snorkel

Suspension: ( Needs More Research)
Offroad Evolution 2.5” JL Enforcer Overland Suspension Stage 2 w/ EVO Spec King 2.5 “ Shocks
Icon Vehicle DynamicsStage 4 - Stage 8 Suspension System
AEV Dual Sport Suspension
Fox Hydraulic Bump Stops

Steering:
Fox Performance Series 2.0 TS Steering Stabilizer

Armor:

Bumper:
( Want full coverage, but high clearance, needs an8mal strike capability Ie BAR and winch capabilities)
AEV (not available at this time)
TJM type Bull Bar

Recovery:

Warn Winch Zein 10S or 12S
Possible adding secondary winch to PCOR Tray Ie 10k.
Maxtraxs
ARB Jack or Hi-Lift
Exhaust Bag Lift

Interior:
Goose Gear Rear Seat Delete both sides

Sliders:
Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders
( https://www.rockslideengineering.com/shop/armor/jt-4d-step-sliders.html)

Communication:
Baofeng BF-F8HP pair handhelds
Icom IC2730A

Other:
Extended Range Diesel Tank (will need extra def storage if not deleted.)
Rotopax Diesel Tanks (Mostly for Diesel Tent/Water Heater in Trailer)
Roof rack for back half of top, possibly whole top of Gladiator (Rhino Rack, Superior mounting solutions for rack accessories)

American Adventure Lab High Line Fender Brave w/ LED Light ((https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-high-line-fender-brace-with-daytime-running-lights/)

American Adventure Lab Quick Release Inner Fenders
( https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-quick-release-front-inner-fenders/)
Mopar EVTS, Gen II and subscription. (Should allow vehicle recovery and tracking for Canada, US, and Mexico as well as accident assistance. Excellent option as no matter how well protected a rig is. A built one is a huge target for theft.)

Electronics:
SPOD System
Garmin Overland Mapping Unit
Garmin Inreach Mini
Apple IPad
4G LTE Vehicle Hotspot
4G Signal Booster
Redarc Trsiler Brake Cntroller
Redarc BCDC 40

Lighting:
(Rigid,Baja Designs, or X-ray Vision)
Front LED Light Bar spot/Cornering (Roof)
Front HID Spots (Bumper)
Front Led Fog Lights Amber
Side Led Light Bar(Roof Rack)
Rock Lights (added relay to come on when door open, switch to turn off when doors off)
PCOR Tray and Canopy have lights
Added Light to Rear of Canopy

Power: Secondary Battery AGM for Vehicle (all Camp items run off of Patriot Campers PCOR Lithium House Battery, ie fridge, house lights etc.)
Solar on Roof of Canopy
Portable roll up solar like redarc solar blanket

Security:
Underseat CCW Lockbox
Lockbox for center console
Hood Lock
Possible reinforce factory door locks

Brakes:
Possible Terrafkex Big Brake Kit
Upgrade Brake Lines HD SS

Last edited:

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Welcome to the forum! I like your build list - it is a bit ambitious but I like it :). You have a few items on your list that I will have on my LE... SPOD, Warn 12S zeon platinum, 35 KM3, RS Step sliders and the Genesis dual battery kit.

The one thing I don't get is the diesel reprogram? Why not start with a Diesel? The reprogram feels like a money pit to me...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Ambitious, I don’t really see this. Project time is 1-2 years to be ready to complete the Pan America Hwy. I fully expect without the Patriot Campers to put and extra 20-30k into the Gladiator itself. The PCOR Tray and Canopy is another $24k and the X1H around $50k. I full expect when all said and done to be into it all for around $150k. Now that said if I was looking at at an RV I would easily be looking at units twice this cost. Like the Renegade super class Cs. Now if even building any other Overland vehicle like say a Land Rover Defender 110. The vehicle and refurb alone without the Overlanding equipment would put me over $100k. Or an EarthRoamer easily $300k.There are many avenues one goes through when building up such a rig. From mild to extreme, and purpose built. From Weekender Offroad, or exploring/camping weekender, to rockcrawling, to extreme Offroad, to Overlanding. Even this has different levels. The other vehicle I looked at was the Ram AEV Prospector. Now all said, it is going to be a add road to complete. Financing, saved money, social media, partnerships, etc to make it happen. Now that said I may have to rethink certain things as well along the way.

We are talking about tuning the Diesel motor being offered In the near future in the Gladiator. Not replacing current engine with diesel. The main reason why we are not purchasing one yet. Couple quick notes about tuning diesel. Basing off of current tunes for the Ram1500. Two main benefits for me. Green Diesel Engineering Kits. Consistent increase in fuel economy. Increased power delivery over the powerband. No turbo lag immediately after startup. Increased torque and horsepower, notably higher at the rear wheel, ie 10 hp and 40ftp torque. Possibility of removing DEF and other smog equipment if wanted, helpful in foreign countries. Need to do more research on availability of DEF. Ability to two pedal the vehicle. Note: hard to do in in these diesels, helpful Offroad. Charging output defaulted to 14v. There are more mentioned improvements. A good video I found reviewing these tunes is found here.

Start around 06:00, beware he is very long winded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Communication Equipment Info:

The Why:
Many in the Offroad community are themselves moving from the Citizens Band (CB) made popular after WW2 as a cheap and effective way for many to communicate. To Family Radio Services (FRS), General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), and even HAM or Amateur Radio. CB and FRS do not require any licensing in the United States. Where as GMRS and HAM require a License. There are other services available yet we will see ick to these as they are the most popular.

CB Radio - Benefits easy to use, cheap equipment, range is limited to 5-15 miles, 40 channels available with side bands for use. Handhelds are not really portable, specifically for our use a vehicle based system.

Family Radio Service - Easy to use, equipment is portable and cheap. No real FRS only vehicle systems. Range is limited, 1-2 miles, 22 channels with sidebands. Mobile units capable of scrambling communications (keeping them private).

GMRS - License required, only $70 can cover whole family, equipment both mobile and vehicle based, inexpensive, 20 channels, side bands, can scramble coms, can use a repeater for extended range, 3-20mile range. Best overall option for our purposes.

HAM- multiple licensing requirements depending on the frequency range used. Testing and fees required. Equipment can go from inexpensive to extravagant, mobile to room full of equipment, range is limited depending on frequency range and equipment used, can literally talk to someone on the moon. Unlimited channels, unlimited side channels, scrambling. Awesome option for Emergency Communications and being able to listen to police, fire, emergency.

We are choosing equipment that is Dual Band Capable. Although the ICOM cannot transmit (Tx) or receive (Rex) on GMRS and FRS it can be modified to do so. FCC ruling are changing in September of 2019 preventing the sale of units open to being able to tx and rx on these frequencies.

The Baofeng BF-F8HP are updated radios of the UV-5R. The Baofeng and the Icom are capable or rx and tx all the above frequencies except CB, also more like Buisness Radio, 2M HAM, and other frequencies reserved for Emergency, Police, Fire. Along with the extended range, monitoring options, privacy options, costs, portability, able to be programmed easily through CHIRP software, and manually. All make it an easy choice for such a trip or with a group of individuals on such an Expedition. The ability to program manually the radios for foreign frequencies help as well. (note: I advise being remotely aware of radio etiquette and laws especially when traveling into foreign countries, use at your own risk as militaries in a foreign country could easily be using certain frequencies that you normally use or can be off limits or restrictions for use on them). All radios with the use of CHIRP software will allow us to make a default programming of set frequencies for all radios we use and in group as well. For an example program see the default list that Preppers use attached to this document. Which would allow you to tell the group to go to channel 4 for default and then want a side conversation tell someone to go to channel 6. Note the ICOM mobile radio will tx and rx on two frequencies at once. Allowing you to monitor both channels at once. Able to receive and tax on separate frequencies and much more. Which even if someone could hear part of a conversation they wouldn’t get the whole conversation, and even scrambling options for total privacy from prying ears. Great for security of your convoy in a foreign country.

If you would like to learn more about these radios please visit the manufacturers site and learn more from the internet about frequencies. The FCC is a great resource of information about licensing requirements and testing for HAM, GMRS and other types. Good luck and I hope this provides some insight into these unit and helpful when choosing your type of comms for your use.

All Bands covered with these Radios:
  • 2 Meter
  • 70 cm
  • FRS (Family Radio Service)
  • GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service)
  • MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service)
  • Marine VHF
  • Public service Frequencies
  • NOAA Weather Band
  • FM radio (listen only)

1679D033-1B4F-4900-A8CD-97E17B99E9D4.png

Last edited:

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Sounds great so far - you've put a lot of thought into it!

If you're considering the 35x12.50r17 KO2, you might also consider the 315/70r17 KO2. It's only .1" shorter, is a bit wider and most importantly, has a C load rating for a more comfortable ride in such a light truck. I've been running them for about 1000mi and they're fantastic.

Matt

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Sounds great so far - you've put a lot of thought into it!

If you're considering the 35x12.50r17 KO2, you might also consider the 315/70r17 KO2. It's only .1" shorter, is a bit wider and most importantly, has a C load rating for a more comfortable ride in such a light truck. I've been running them for about 1000mi and they're fantastic.

Matt
Couple of issues here. One I am going with what has been tested by AEV with their wheel as I am using it as a bedrock. I am not sure if it has been tested. Secondly, wider may end up causing some issues with offset and suspension, something that I would have to of put everything together to see if it would. The load rating could be an issue. Now many would not have a rig as loaded up as we will. If we where just doing normal stuff maybe. But when we would be gone for months at a time you tend to bring everything needed. Yet, it may all be a moot point if we ended up getting tire sponsorship as we would be at the mercy of product availability and fit for our needs. I personally want 37” but in the end there are some downfalls. Mainly mileage with the stints we would be driving. Not to mention the extra weight when having to change a tire in a austere environment. In the end though I need to decide if we are going to carry two spare on the PCOR Canopy. If so I don’t know if the 37” will fit,

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Quick updates:

Have made some contacts and have a sponsorship. Though not really a Jeep related sponsorship it does tie in with a Overlanding. But Duane Dwyer from Strider Knives has committed to come on board. It should be interesting for sure. If you do not know who he is he is a custom knife maker and another ex team guy. Take a look at his work at https://dwyercustomgoods.com

We need to work out a solution to be able to remove the canopy off of the Gladiator to be able to use the Tray. Like some type of lift mechanism similar to a truck bed camper.

We went ahead and renewed our Amateur Radio License for HAM Radio. They have three license structure now Technician, General, Extra. Although I previously held a Technician the license expire after 10 years and need to be renewed within 2 years from expiration. Unfortunately, due to my military service and lack of being Notified of Expiration from FCC. We didn’t renew, so you have to pass the lament 2 or Technician test to get back your tech or higher license. The ARRL has a program that sends you a reminder to renew if you join them at ARRL.org. I’ll post some tips for you if you’d like to get your ham license in another post. We now have our General License which allows operation on most amateur frequencies. In the realm of most uses many would be good to get their Technician License. See dedicated post for some information if you would like to get yours.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
See previous article explaining some benefits of HAM (Amateur Radio) over CB Radio and other forms of communication.

Materials that really helped me. From
Least to most for the test material

- ARRL Books on Tech and General

Technician Study Book : https://amzn.to/2St7vjY

General Study Book: https://amzn.to/2y31r8m

- Youtube Videos from of course Ham Radio Crash Course, David Casler and W4EEY (W4EEY has handouts and slides you can print for study material)

David Casler Technician Material Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/hfdo3xr

W4EEY Technician Material Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/y3586gc7

David Casler General Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/kd6zkyy

W4EEY General Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/y6qvf5eo

- APPs for Phone/IPad Exam Prep for Technician and General (If I was only able to afford $10 for test prep I would spend it here and use videos above for material review.)

APP Apple AppStore Technician:
HAM Test Prep: Technician by Patrick J Maloney LLC
https://tinyurl.com/y3ltek6s

APP Apple AppStore General:
HAM Test Prep: General by Patrick J Maloney LLC
https://tinyurl.com/y6xhqvjm

The current app above is not available on Google Play. I did find the app above to be the best for me. But search Google Play for Ham Test Prep and then insert the license type and you will be presented with many options. Do note that you want an app that allows you to preview the test pool as well as has tests with pool questions. The free apps limit the material and to be fully prepared you will need the full app. Generally it would be under $5.00.

If anyone has any questions I am happy to help. If I can do this with my Learning Disability caused my combat injury giving me a Traumatic Brain Injury with Short and Long Term Memory issues. I would bet that with a little effort you could pass this too. I spent a little over two weeks on both licenses with a few hours a day going over material and memorizing the test pool/practice tests.

The tests cost $15 to be able to take a test. You can take all three modules at once. I do recommend that you at least try for your General License as well. Using the above information will help immensely in doing so.

You can find a testing location near you using the link below:
https://tinyurl.com/ARRLTesting

Before showing up at the test site you must apply to the FCC at no costs for your FRN number. Use the link below to do so:
https://tinyurl.com/lnxt96n

Here is the link to our YouTube Channel:
https://tinyurl.com/GladiatorOverlander

We are currently working on content right now for the channel. Although we won’t be full blown until we are able to get the Diesel Gladiator Delivered. If you found this information useful, please click the link below to subscribe to our channel and hit the notification bell as well to be notified when we publish new content. Also, if you are wanting to buy the study material please use our affiliate links shown above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
HAM Radio Equipment
For the Overlander, Off Roader, Or Mobile User.

Mobile Rigs:

Kenwood:

Yaesu:

Icom:

Handheld Rig:

Kenwood:

Yaesu:

Icom:

Chinese Offerings
(Radios are generally cheaper, offer good features, at expense of interference and noise on transmit and receive, support and programming are more difficult to receive.)

Baofeng:

Anytime:

Wouxun:

Antennas:

Mobile Antenna:

Handheld Antenna:

Accessories:

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Late last night we received an email from the FCC granting a license for the General Portion of the Amateur Radio.

KN4VYV is our new call sign. Will go over the new rig that I currently have chosen and an install in our current rig that will translate to a basic how to for the Gladiator.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
See previous article explaining some benefits of HAM (Amateur Radio) over CB Radio and other forms of communication.

Materials that really helped me. From
Least to most for the test material

- ARRL Books on Tech and General

Technician Study Book : https://amzn.to/2St7vjY

General Study Book: https://amzn.to/2y31r8m

- Youtube Videos from of course Ham Radio Crash Course, David Casler and W4EEY (W4EEY has handouts and slides you can print for study material)

David Casler Technician Material Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/hfdo3xr

W4EEY Technician Material Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/y3586gc7

David Casler General Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/kd6zkyy

W4EEY General Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/y6qvf5eo

- APPs for Phone/IPad Exam Prep for Technician and General (If I was only able to afford $10 for test prep I would spend it here and use videos above for material review.)

APP Apple AppStore Technician:
HAM Test Prep: Technician by Patrick J Maloney LLC
https://tinyurl.com/y3ltek6s

APP Apple AppStore General:
HAM Test Prep: General by Patrick J Maloney LLC
https://tinyurl.com/y6xhqvjm

The current app above is not available on Google Play. I did find the app above to be the best for me. But search Google Play for Ham Test Prep and then insert the license type and you will be presented with many options. Do note that you want an app that allows you to preview the test pool as well as has tests with pool questions. The free apps limit the material and to be fully prepared you will need the full app. Generally it would be under $5.00.

If anyone has any questions I am happy to help. If I can do this with my Learning Disability caused my combat injury giving me a Traumatic Brain Injury with Short and Long Term Memory issues. I would bet that with a little effort you could pass this too. I spent a little over two weeks on both licenses with a few hours a day going over material and memorizing the test pool/practice tests.

The tests cost $15 to be able to take a test. You can take all three modules at once. I do recommend that you at least try for your General License as well. Using the above information will help immensely in doing so.

You can find a testing location near you using the link below:
https://tinyurl.com/ARRLTesting

Before showing up at the test site you must apply to the FCC at no costs for your FRN number. Use the link below to do so:
https://tinyurl.com/lnxt96n

Here is the link to our YouTube Channel:
https://tinyurl.com/Gladiatoroverland

We are currently working on content right now for the channel. Although we won’t be full blown until we are able to get the Diesel Gladiator Delivered. If you found this information useful, please click the link below to subscribe to our channel and hit the notification bell as well to be notified when we publish new content. Also, if you are wanting to buy the study material please use our affiliate links shown above.
Just finished an overlanding trip this last week with my friend. It was our 1st trip and it was awesome. One need we had was a more powerful radio vs our handheld walkie talkies. He's already licensed for Ham radio, but I will need to up my game and get mine. Thank you for all this info!
Sponsored