First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Just finished an overlanding trip this last week with my friend. It was our 1st trip and it was awesome. One need we had was a more powerful radio vs our handheld walkie talkies. He's already licensed for Ham radio, but I will need to up my game and get mine. Thank you for all this info!

Good luck. I just purchased a Yaesu FTM-400. I plan on doing an install video and setup for the unit. Although I am putting it in the 4Runner for now the carry over and parts needed would be nearly the same. I’ll also include what I’d do for the wrangler/gladiator differently.
Sponsored

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Good luck. I just purchased a Yaesu FTM-400. I plan on doing an install video and setup for the unit. Although I am putting it in the 4Runner for now the carry over and parts needed would be nearly the same. I’ll also include what I’d do for the wrangler/gladiator differently.
You know your stuff :clap: My Ham guru friend recommended exactly that unit for us to purchase. Plus there was a great sale on them not too long ago. I would definitely welcome a vid on where/how you install it. :like:

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
You know your stuff :clap: My Ham guru friend recommended exactly that unit for us to purchase. Plus there was a great sale on them not too long ago. I would definitely welcome a vid on where/how you install it. :like:
It is on sale until the end of the month. Normal $570 range now in the $399 range. I got mine from Gigaparts.com. Anyone exp citing to buy a mobile rig budget $100-$150 over the unit for mount, Antenna, Software, and any parts you end like extended cables, brackets, mounts, or even external speakers.

Our YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/
(Note: we had some issues with the original setup and had to reset the whole account after a few tests. Seemed as if the name wouldn’t stick, and had difficulty with it not changing to another email address, instead of the one that we associated with the channel. It’s a learning curve but we are getting there.) Join us and we will have some content in the next month if not sooner.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
We are working hard at working out the com plan for our trip. Part of that plan is the equipment. Right now it consists of a Yeasu FTM -400XDR, a Cobra dx75 CB Radio, and 2- Baoefeng BF8-HP+. We currently got the Yaesu radio installed in our current rig to work out any kinks and use on our planned trips as of now in the Appalachian Mountains of GA, NC and TN. We will be working on the others as the budget also and time allows to get all the accessories for installation. Even though we current do not have the Gladiator on hand, as they are not yet available in the diesel variant. I am still going to go over the information and will update the install portion when we port over to the Gladiator..

Yaesu FTM-400XDR is a dual band amateur radio receiver capable of receiving / transmitting on the 2 meter and 70cm bands. Specs and frequencies tables can be seen here. We purchased the Radio from DigiParts.com. It was on sale for $399. The parts that are needed for installation, install parts specs for Jeep Gladiator.. are as follows:

Main:
Radio Unit
Antenna
Antenna Mount

Accessories :
Nite Ize Steelie Magnetic Mount
Antenna extension Cable 1 Meter (depend sunshine on install location on Gladiator. More info later.)
Microphone Extension (length depends on install location of main body Radio Unit)
Head Unit Cable extended (depends on main Radio unit installation area
Had unit bracket (comes from the factory with a metal bracket and double sided tape, also can put a suction cup type mount, or ram amount accesses to mount depending on install location)

Parts and tools needed:
Zip Ties
Double sided sticky tape
Long zip tie or wire fish
Electrical tape
Tools to take apart dash and battery connections, route wires)
Crimping Tool/cutters ( can be gotten at harbor freight)
Extra 14ga wire and either butt connectors or better soldering iron and heat shrink tubing)
Custom bracket for passenger seat

All in all expect up to another $100 for things needed for installation besides the radio, antenna and antenna mount.

Install will be discussed in a future document as we get our hands on the Gladiator. But a quick idea of how we plan to mount the unit and what parts we purchased for the install in the Gladiator. We wouod like to have a custom under-seat bracket made that are similar to the type used on the JK that can be found on YouTube. It not only allows for a cleaner install, but also keeps it up off of the floor if we ever get water intrusion as well as is pretty easily accessible if we need to perform updates or add an accessory. So in turn as you can imagine the bracket bolts underneath the passenger seat and he main body would be mounted to ththe plate. You would then run a power wire directly to the battery and not off an accessory line, both ground and positive to the battery. This helps prevent a ground loop and isolates any noise from the vehicles electronic, ignition, and fuel system interfering or causing noise on the radio. The head unit we will either mount on the rear view mirror ball using a ram mount since we will be running the PCOR Tray and Canopy by Patriot Campera. The secondary location would be dash mounted in a similar fashion using the accessory brackets currently available. You want it to be able to be reached from your area, but also capable for your navigator, but also be cognitive of other installed accessories you have or plan to install, as well as if it will interfere with your view of the road and trail, or distract you while driving even at night. Ok that’s all set we will need to mount the antenna. To the left side of the hood there is a panel that removes to the left of the windshield wiper motor for the drivers side. We can remove this panel and use the same mount I have listed below here.

That in a nutshell is how we are going to install the unit your mileage may vary.

Antenna mount Diamond K400S-NMO Antenna Mount
Antenna is the Comet SS-680SBNMO although we are attempting to have a vertical custom manufactured similar to the ones used in Australia on the Bull Bars.

If you have questions feel free to ask. I will add some pictures from my current install for reference.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Benefit of FTM-400DXR use in Overland/Off-Road. The main benefit of course is improved communication between rigs in a convoy, improved range capability, more channels available, ability to send TXT over Radio, Ability to send other data such as Photos, my favorite digital capability of a radio using radio to a unit that transfers over to the internet (winlink) using VO/IP ability to be able to talk to some clear across the world with a small low power rig, the tactical side APRS.

APRS- Automatic Packet Reporting System by definition is a amateur radio based real time tactical digital communications of information of immediate value in the local area. A mouth full for sure but what does that mean, for the military guys think Blue Force Tracker in your Jeep. For the non Military being able to share your location by GPS onto a map in real time even when you are way out of cell signal range, even ability to use ISS (International) transfer information. So anywhere you can at least get a shot of the horizon, or in most places on Earth ability to share that info with other vehicles in the convoy, even loved ones at home. As well as sharing weather, messaging to another Callsign, email capability, bulletins, and voice.

Now for us it means security and peace of mind. Being able to share our location in real-time is a godsend in a emergency, or even in a convoy of trying to find another user. We where able to get APRS setup in our vehicle and are transmitting currently for N4VYV-9 and can be seen at https://aprs.fi/#!call=a/KN4VYV-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600 nite: one can ad ambiguity to their data so it removes a decimal place or more from their location for privacy. Here is a picture of us currently being seen using the above link, note: there is an app available. This can all be done with an APRS capable Radio or using a connection device, your radio, and a tablet to see the location in real time.

48449752031_39f3dc0a76_z.jpg

More information can be found using the website of the creator of APRs: Link

Mobile rigs capable of APRS
Yaesu FTM-400XDR
Kenwood TM-710GA

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
First off, thank you for your service and sacrifice. My son has done a couple of tours in the sandbox and is still in.

I’m very interested in your build AND your objective. My wife and I have talked about a trip like this as well. From what i’ve gathered the roads aren’t too bad overall but getting across the Darian Gap will be a challenge. Are you thinking of shipping? I think your build will be more than capable. The only thing I would keep an eye on is the weight but you probably know that.

As far as comms go this is something that I need to research more so I will be following your developments. When we’ve been off the grid (think Africa) we take our Garmin Inreach. It has the ability (through a subscription) to provide an evac should you need it. Highly recommend.

The other item I wanted to touch on is going with a diesel. I’m assuming that you’ll do a full delete as the fuel South of us isn’t usually ULSD and will be a major issue moving South. I have a diesel truck now that we take on our trips but we’ve not been into Mexico. That’s one of the reasons we chose to go gas on our Gladiator Rubicon.

On the topic of sponsorships you may want to reach out to Overland Solar. Many of them are ex military and might be able to help with some of your equipment. I met them at Expo East last year and you might want to consider going if your schedule permits. It will be in VA in September I believe.

https://overlandsolar.com/

I’m near Roanoke, VA. If you are anywhere near here and need a hand I’d be happy to help.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
First off, thank you for your service and sacrifice. My son has done a couple of tours in the sandbox and is still in.

I’m very interested in your build AND your objective. My wife and I have talked about a trip like this as well. From what i’ve gathered the roads aren’t too bad overall but getting across the Darian Gap will be a challenge. Are you thinking of shipping? I think your build will be more than capable. The only thing I would keep an eye on is the weight but you probably know that.

As far as comms go this is something that I need to research more so I will be following your developments. When we’ve been off the grid (think Africa) we take our Garmin Inreach. It has the ability (through a subscription) to provide an evac should you need it. Highly recommend.

The other item I wanted to touch on is going with a diesel. I’m assuming that you’ll do a full delete as the fuel South of us isn’t usually ULSD and will be a major issue moving South. I have a diesel truck now that we take on our trips but we’ve not been into Mexico. That’s one of the reasons we chose to go gas on our Gladiator Rubicon.

On the topic of sponsorships you may want to reach out to Overland Solar. Many of them are ex military and might be able to help with some of your equipment. I met them at Expo East last year and you might want to consider going if your schedule permits. It will be in VA in September I believe.

https://overlandsolar.com/

I’m near Roanoke, VA. If you are anywhere near here and need a hand I’d be happy to help.

Thanks for your reply. I also appreciate the information. Everyone who I have talked to that have done it had to use a bait or some type of shipping to get around the gap. They wouldn’t even let them across due to the danger of the area. Even if we are not able to make it that far I am dedicated to at least make it down to Baja Mexico. We will of course be doing many shake down trips and so on the get our systems down. The diesel issues are something that I will need to research more on. I would rather not do a delete, but regardless need to wait until it is available to see what the truck is going to have, what needs to be and what can be done programming wise via green diesel engineering. I will look into Overland Solar. We are putting together a request right now through an Veterans .org and program called Veterans Wish to attempt to be able to get a Patriot X1H Trailer. It would extend our capability immensely and make any trip that much more comfortable, thanks again if your like please look above and subscribe to our YT as well you can feel free to email me at [email protected]

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
BTW I meant to add the concern isn’t so much Mexico. But further south in concerns of the right type of diesel. I need to do more research in availability there. As I have mentioned what can be done programming wise.

Here is what a I had found from my research
As of September 27, 2018 there should be no worries about getting ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) anywhere in Mexico. OK, i should qualify that - except out in the boondocks where the "gas station" is a front porch with a 55 gallon drum.

Pemex officially declared all their refineries have been upgraded to deliver ULSD.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Mexico is still in a state of flux and even though they may say they’ve switched over the truth is a little different...

https://www.breakthroughfuel.com/blog/understanding-mexicos-recent-ulsd-mandate/

With the blatant theft of fuel from pipelines, Mexico is struggling to meet its domestic demand and most of the diesel in the northern part of the country is sent down from the US. Plus the existing refinery’s seem to be struggling with completing the transition to producing ULSD.

I think in 5 years it will be completed but they have been promising to complete the switch since 2007...

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Mexico is still in a state of flux and even though they may say they’ve switched over the truth is a little different...

https://www.breakthroughfuel.com/blog/understanding-mexicos-recent-ulsd-mandate/

With the blatant theft of fuel from pipelines, Mexico is struggling to meet its domestic demand and most of the diesel in the northern part of the country is sent down from the US. Plus the existing refinery’s seem to be struggling with completing the transition to producing ULSD.

I think in 5 years it will be completed but they have been promising to complete the switch since 2007...

I do appreciate the information. Regardless we do have some things in the pipeline that we are working on. Can’t really say yet as we are unsure of the one what the end planned power plant will be, what the possible solutions would be to be able to run as is with just LSD, with tuning, or having to go further with the power plant. This is something we are currently investigating with industry aftermarket leaders leaders in the Chrysler diesel power plant. When we have something more concrete in this arena we will be sharing this information most likely via our YouTube channel. I do appreciate any input others have. There are many areas I am far from being an expert in. Especially with how quickly the industry changes along with how government mandates and regulations force it to adapt. I instead am forging these relationships with industry partners to ensure our expedition is a successful one. Thanks again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Some updates here concerning The Diesel version, tuning and ULSD availability south of the Border.

Beyond seeing he testing of current vehicles in the road it has been confirmed that they will indeed be using similar emissions than in the Ram. This said the vehicle is dependent on ULSD and anything above say 2000ppm will end up causing issues. Such as poisoning the catalyst system and causing regeneration after a min of 40miles after a fill up of higher sulfur diesel fuel.

This said I had some decent conversations with Green Diesel Engineering about tuning the engine as well as options for deleting some exhaust and emission systems, or if things can be done with the tune. Although there are a few options to help alleviate some of the regeneration with programming there would be lasting results using high sulfur diesel. This is not the news Iw anted to hear as I was afraid that fuel availability could be an issue south of the border.

I have good and bad news about availability. I was in contact with who one could say is one of the leading experts on ULSD and availability south of the border. He was even know for going down and testing fuel in his own dime to ensure it was indeed ULSD. Ted White, blow is a copy of an email response he had concerning ULSD south of the border after some lengthy conversations about what we where trying to do.

<Paste Email>

Hello Stephen,
Regarding your hope to do an overland trip to South America, you won't have any sulfur-in-fuel issues in Mexico with a brand new diesel Jeep because all of Mexico is now on ULSD. The days of sulfur-in-fuel problems in Mexico are over.
I'm sorry to have to tell you though that traveling south of Mexico with a DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) equipped vehicle like a brand new diesel Jeep will almost certainly cause you very serious problems.
Unfortunately, the fuel in Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Nicaragua has EXTREME sulfur content, between 2000 and 5000 ppm, but a late model diesel's emissions system is designed to operate on no more than 15 ppm sulfur content.
Whilst I do not have any direct data, I would expect these sulfur levels to "poison" the emissions system in a diesel Jeep, specifically the Selective Catalytic Reducer (SCR), very quickly, probably within 50 to 100kms of switching to the local fuel. It is VERY likely that the vehicle would then go to limp mode (5mph) long before a regeneration cycle could burn the sulfur out of the system.
Bottom line is, I doubt that you could drive very far in to Belize without having a major problem with the fuel, and it is highly likely that the vehicle will end up in limp mode. The only way to deal with such a scenario would be to ship the vehicle back to the USA for service.

Costa Rica diesel is between 15 and 50 ppm, which is OK for a late model diesel. Argentina diesel is between 500 and 2000 ppm sulfur, which is again very problematic. Chile does actually have ULSD at 15 ppm.

In addition to sulfur-in-fuel problems, I doubt that you could find DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) anywhere along a route into Central and South America.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Regards

Ted

<End Paste Email>

That said the good news is anyone wanting to go down south of the border would be fine down in Baja and the mainland Mexico. The issue start to arise when going further south than Mexico with the availability of ULSD and DEX. Though with more research I may find that we may be able to at least make it to Costa Rica with proper planning and carrying extra DEX. We are currently reevaluating our trip, vehicle engine requirements and more. We haven’t changed our plans right now as our first goal is making down to the Baja and the Mainland Mexico which as of now we can currently do. Though we would like the option to continue southbound if needed. I am learning more about the modern Diesel engine a service I haven’t had a newer one and only one in a Chevy Military diesel pickup from 1985. Hopefully we will have some more answers soon as well as ensuring that future trips would not be hindered as well. To ensure we could have options for the AUS, and EU, parts of Africa. But right now if we truly want to go further south we will need to get a petroleum product nine option or make some major modifications to run on any available diesel fuel.

08/22/19 Additional information to keep everything in line.

Guatemala - ULSD availability. Puma Petrol in Guatemala we are pioneers in our market by introducing ULSD (with no more than 50 ppm) under our brand ION Puma Diesel, available in 14 strategically located service stations. We also manage differentiated fuels formulated with additives that enhance performance, under our Maxxima brand.

Last edited:

Gladiator Brad 704

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Might be looking for a pair of Take-Off Overland Running Boards. If you are close by. They are going to go on my Rubicon. Message me. Thanks.
Sponsored