Sponsored

Gladiator Q4 2019 sales numbers out - thoughts?

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I tried to buy one from a local small dealer the beginning of Oct. Gave him a reasonable offer and we ended up being $1,600 dollars apart. Had to purchase one from a different dealer. The nice red JT that the local dealer had is still sitting parked where I left it after my test drive. They still have a nice black LE sitting in their show room
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I test drove a Rebel today...partly for fun,
Man, I'd love to test drive a Rebel - especially "The Machine" edition - it would be fun! 390, 4 speed, factory ram air........

1970-amc-rebel-machine-front-s.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

wch_Chip

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I've seen about 4 other white ones (mine is white), 2 Red, 2 Black, and 2 billet around me.

Sponsored

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Sting Gray/Toyota 4Runner Limited Pearl White
For resale info, would looking at the number of used ones in your area and pricing for them help give an indication?
Agreed but i doubt there would be many used ones for sale to use as a guage...

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
So I test drove a Rebel today...partly for fun, partly to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I totally decide on the JT. It was great, had the black appearance package, rebel 12, level 2 equipment group, panoramic roof etc... basically fully loaded. Super comfortable, seat better than my favorite spot on the couch. The hemi sounded great- a very welcome change from my ecoboost, and power was awesome-first Ram I've driven since they put the 8 speed in them. MSRP was around 62, advertised price after rebates was 53 (up 1,000 from the deals offered before Jan 1).

But it was kinda boring. It didn't feel nearly as cool or fun as the JTR I tried a while back, and I saw 2 other rebels on the road during the test drive (neither of which gave me a rebel wave???). Afterwards I couldn't help but think that I would initially love the Rebel, but most likely become bored with it after a year or 2, just like every other 1/2 ton that I've owned. Also, while the sport hood on the rebel looks sweet, I realized driving it that it wouldn't be nearly as easy to maneuver off-road, and in parking lots for that matter due to lack of visibility.

I think Im starting to better understand the value of the JT for myself. Need to stop thinking of it in terms of pounds of steel, horsepower etc... and look at the driving experience and enjoyment more.

The dealership I visited was one location of a very large dealership group (3 largest locations are CDJR), and per the sales manager I spoke with they haven't sold a single JT from that location. He said the only way they have left the lot was in dealer trades, and they took a different vehicle back in return for the JT each time. He stated they are basically treating them as "click bait"- they have had people come in the door to look at them, and left with something else- usually a Ram- every time. In his words "I just can't see how they are asking so much money for these". This is the same dealership where I have purchased several vehicles, my wife's JL included, so I do trust their opinion slightly more than the average dealer. On the plus side I did see one JT sport in a driveway on my way home.
I think the JTs would be a harder sell in rural areas. As I've mentioned in another post, wages tend to be very low in rural areas. Most people simply can't afford ANY new truck. And, if you're parking your truck in front of the trailer or farm house and then parking it on a construction or oil field site, you don't care about how big it is. So, if you're a country boy, it's very likely you'll buy a used, full size truck. If you can afford a new truck, here again, why not get a full size truck if the prices are pretty much the same?

I have an uncle who lives miles from nowhere on the edge of death valley. He's a retired truck driver. I'm sure when he saw the picture of my new Gladiator on Facebook he laughed and said out loud, "Why the hell would he buy that thing and not an F-350?". Well, he can't relate to living in the suburbs or driving around in a city and therefore preferring a midsize truck. And he's never been four-wheeling in his life. Yeah, you'll never sell a JT to guys like my uncle. And guys like my uncle are typical in rural areas.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If you break down the numbers 16,663/50 states means that 333 per quarter or 111 per month per state. How many Jeep dealers per state? Plus think of the typical buyer. Buy a Gladiator or get the JKU and pull a trailer for the cost difference? Since women control major purchases the JKU probably wins out.

I would expect to see more discounts.

Rick
40,000 across 48 states (cant see too many of these shipping to AK/HI, though this is a perfect vehicle for AK) is about 800 per state. Would be interesting to see how many each state sold, or even better how many are REGISTERED in each state

wyodirt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Secret stuff in secret locations
Has anyone seen any advertising for Gladiator? I saw a couple prior to Christmas, mixed in among all the Amazon and Walmart holiday commercials - they were not well done, they did not grab attention. In fact I would have missed them but my wife said "hey, look, finally they are advertising" - she agrees that we'd not have even known they existed at all - period - if not having seen ONE in a showroom.

But back to my point - how did YOU learn of these? The massive flashy attention-getting TV marketing campaign from FCA? (said sarcastically because there is no such thing)
Back in June I was driving my F150 up to Wyoming for a camping trip and the truck took a shit on me right in front of the dealership as they were pulling the jeep up to the curb for display. I was kinda shocked and told the girlfriend "holly shit, they finally made a truck" I took the breakdown and simultaneous display of the jeep as a sign, and bought it"

PJTree

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
Back in June I was driving my F150 up to Wyoming for a camping trip and the truck took a shit on me right in front of the dealership as they were pulling the jeep up to the curb for display. I was kinda shocked and told the girlfriend "holly shit, they finally made a truck" I took the breakdown and simultaneous display of the jeep as a sign, and bought it"
What year F150? Was it the cam phasers?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
40,000 across 48 states (cant see too many of these shipping to AK/HI, though this is a perfect vehicle for AK) is about 800 per state. Would be interesting to see how many each state sold, or even better how many are REGISTERED in each state
Iowa far less than 800.
Look at the salvage auction, Copart - for example. Where are the wrecked ones? In the exact same states where all the Rubicon tire and suspension take-offs are here in this forum for sale areas.
You can match them up perfectly - most wrecked JTs were in the exact same states the take-offs are from in this forum. Any in Iowa? Nope, not a one - and no suspension or wheel/tire for sale ads in this forum from an Iowan, either.

The Ankeny dealer guy says they don't have many JTs, don't sell many (you have to say "Gladiator" there - JT gets you a shrug).
I've seen 3 locally so far. The 4th was from out of state, a southern state plate on it as I recall. Farm country here. They need big trucks, used trucks sell like crazy.
When I was complaining about the dealer offer on my trade-in Chevy - even forum members gave me crap that I'd never get more out of my truck, I'd have an impossible time selling it, it's too old, I'm expecting too much and so on.
I sold that Chevy outright to a dealer - took me 5 minutes and I got 19K for it - and guess what - it was sold by them days later!
There's huge demand for clean used pickups and new full-size trucks here.
JTs - they simply won't sell well here. I get it, I understand. A shame, but that's how things work REGIONALLY. Same reason a restaurant may fail in Florida but flourish in Nebraska.
Order a Coke here and you get a Coke. Order a coke in Florida and it applies to any "soda". In Iowa, it's pop, other states, it's soda.
We may be the USA, but we aren't all the same in needs and tastes, I guess.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iowa far less than 800.
Look at the salvage auction, Copart - for example. Where are the wrecked ones? In the exact same states where all the Rubicon tire and suspension take-offs are here in this forum for sale areas.
You can match them up perfectly - most wrecked JTs were in the exact same states the take-offs are from in this forum. Any in Iowa? Nope, not a one - and no suspension or wheel/tire for sale ads in this forum from an Iowan, either.

The Ankeny dealer guy says they don't have many JTs, don't sell many (you have to say "Gladiator" there - JT gets you a shrug).
I've seen 3 locally so far. The 4th was from out of state, a southern state plate on it as I recall. Farm country here. They need big trucks, used trucks sell like crazy.
When I was complaining about the dealer offer on my trade-in Chevy - even forum members gave me crap that I'd never get more out of my truck, I'd have an impossible time selling it, it's too old, I'm expecting too much and so on.
I sold that Chevy outright to a dealer - took me 5 minutes and I got 19K for it - and guess what - it was sold by them days later!
There's huge demand for clean used pickups and new full-size trucks here.
JTs - they simply won't sell well here. I get it, I understand. A shame, but that's how things work REGIONALLY. Same reason a restaurant may fail in Florida but flourish in Nebraska.
Order a Coke here and you get a Coke. Order a coke in Florida and it applies to any "soda". In Iowa, it's pop, other states, it's soda.
We may be the USA, but we aren't all the same in needs and tastes, I guess.
That's fair. And I could have done more analysis, limiting states like NJ due to smaller size and less off roading opportunities and bumping numbers for TX and CO. I was just going over as an average, not the best method but something simple.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's fair. And I could have done more analysis, limiting states like NJ due to smaller size and less off roading opportunities and bumping numbers for TX and CO. I was just going over as an average, not the best method but something simple.
No, you are right in the basic - 800 is fair, simple, and still - take Iowa having 99 counties, round that to 100, it's easier. That's 8 per county. Some counties have a really thin population, but Polk, Story, and a couple other counties have college towns, reasons to go there, so their portion would be a bit higher. That means if it was all averaged out equally, not adjusting for need, use or population, there would be only 10 or so in all of Polk county, maybe 15. Now figure fewer in Iowa, more in CO, FL, AZ, VA, NC and so on, and drop Iowa down to 500.
That's 5 per county, maybe as some counties have only a few hundred people, give Polk county a couple more - that's only 5 to 10 in all of Polk county! WOW, that's NOTHING!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, you are right in the basic - 800 is fair, simple, and still - take Iowa having 99 counties, round that to 100, it's easier. That's 8 per county. Some counties have a really thin population, but Polk, Story, and a couple other counties have college towns, reasons to go there, so their portion would be a bit higher. That means if it was all averaged out equally, not adjusting for need, use or population, there would be only 10 or so in all of Polk county, maybe 15. Now figure fewer in Iowa, more in CO, FL, AZ, VA, NC and so on, and drop Iowa down to 500.
That's 5 per county, maybe as some counties have only a few hundred people, give Polk county a couple more - that's only 5 to 10 in all of Polk county! WOW, that's NOTHING!
To be fair (and in no way intending to give insult), there is a whole lot of “nothing” in Iowa. Maybe there ARE more JTs there but given the large area and smaller population density they just are not seen as often. At least as a factor to add to the lack of best-mode for the JT as a work truck in that environment

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair (and in no way intending to give insult), there is a whole lot of “nothing” in Iowa. Maybe there ARE more JTs there but given the large area and smaller population density they just are not seen as often. At least as a factor to add to the lack of best-mode for the JT as a work truck in that environment
With all this you see why I don't own, run, operate or sell at a car dealership! LOL
On the other hand - my wife asked "does this thing ding at you and flash that warning if you have the doors off" and I said no, it senses when they are off and you don't get that door open warning. Then she asked what it took to take the doors and such off this thing and she said, shocked the heck out of me - "when it warms up we'll have to take the top and doors off this". WOW. Cool.
Sponsored