Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
A long-time wheeling buddy and I traded in our built JKs for trucks. I got a JTR and he went with the ZRZ. He preferred to get a JT as well but he understandably couldn't swing the cost. Our adventure travel needs have changed over the years and we're no longer trying to conquer massive obstacles.

We took our trucks to Kansas Rocks, our local privately-owned ORV park. We've wheeled there for years and it's an excellent proving ground for our stock trucks. We each knew how our Jeeps performed there, now it was time to test our trucks.

There were some surprises and performance differences between the ZR2 and the JTR. At the end of the day, both trucks were winners. The key differentiator was tires- the JTR was on factory mud terrains and the ZR2 was on ATs.

I hope you enjoy this comparison video. It's all in good fun and my friend and I plan to explore many trails together. It's good to know what each of us is capable of. For the money, the ZR2 is an outstanding truck and a competent Gladiator competitor.

Sponsored

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danballardphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
A long-time wheeling buddy and I traded in our built JKs for trucks. I got a JTR and he went with the ZRZ. He preferred to get a JT as well but he understandably couldn't swing the cost. Our adventure travel needs have changed over the years and we're no longer trying to conquer massive obstacles.

We took our trucks to Kansas Rocks, our local privately-owned ORV park. We've wheeled there for years and it's an excellent proving ground for our stock trucks. We each knew how our Jeeps performed there, now it was time to test our trucks.

There were some surprises and performance differences between the ZR2 and the JTR. At the end of the day, both trucks were winners. The key differentiator was tires- the JTR was on factory mud terrains and the ZR2 was on ATs.

I hope you enjoy this comparison video. It's all in good fun and my friend and I plan to explore many trails together. It's good to know what each of us is capable of. For the money, the ZR2 is an outstanding truck and a competent Gladiator competitor.

Hey, cool comparison!

I had a ZR2 for 80,000 and had it pretty decked out. Plus aggressive 33s, and extra lift. I loved it and it was a super capable truck, but (as you know) the huge difference between them is the JT can easily be turned into a beast without much effort. The ZR2 not so much. At least not easily. Plus it's just amazing how much a solid front helps.

While stock they are somewhat comparable, with 37-40 inch tires and 3-5 inches of lift on the JT it's just in a completely different league.

Stuff that was a full on adventure, (scary and spotter working hard with a tire 16inches off the ground) in my ZR2 I seriously don't even get out to look at in the JT. Insane difference.

For an everyday truck, and easy wheeling I think they are comparable, but for serious offroad..... really an apples to oranges thing.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Went snow wheeling the other day with a ZR2 and JK. The ZR2 struggled the most out of all of us and not sure why. It wasn’t terrible snow but really had issues making it up steeper hills that were a little slick. Maybe it’s because your stuck with smaller tires.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...

You said in the video that you were getting AL skid plates? Can you give more info? Who are you looking at? Custom? Rockhard 4x4 has some but I don't have any idea if they are worth the $$$ over the steel versions...

EDIT: Sorry - great vid i liked and subscribed thank yoU!

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey, cool comparison!

I had a ZR2 for 80,000 and had it pretty decked out. Plus aggressive 33s, and extra lift. I loved it and it was a super capable truck, but (as you know) the huge difference between them is the JT can easily be turned into a beast without much effort. The ZR2 not so much. At least not easily. Plus it's just amazing how much a solid front helps.

While stock they are somewhat comparable, with 37-40 inch tires and 3-5 inches of lift on the JT it's just in a completely different league.

Stuff that was a full on adventure, (scary and spotter working hard with a tire 16inches off the ground) in my ZR2 I seriously don't even get out to look at in the JT. Insane difference.

For an everyday truck, and easy wheeling I think they are comparable, but for serious offroad..... really an apples to oranges thing.
Thank you!

Upgradability, aftermarket support, and ease of customization are large points I overlooked- thank you for bringing them up.

My buddy with the ZR2 was talking about the Bison package. He said the front steel winch bumper gives the truck even worse of an approach angle, and for that, he's glad he didn't get that package.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You said in the video that you were getting AL skid plates? Can you give more info? Who are you looking at? Custom? Rockhard 4x4 has some but I don't have any idea if they are worth the $$$ over the steel versions...

I haven't ventured far down that path. Rock Hard or Artec is who I'm considering.

I'm not 100% sure I need a gas tank skid and both of those kits are complete belly pan systems. I don't know if the gas tank skid is required to tie them together, and if not, if they'll sell me skids without the gas tank component. Silly-minum is undoubtedly more expensive but I'm willing to pay extra to keep the weight down. I just need something to help me slide over rocks, not bash them into submission.

My days of being drug over rocks are over (I think). My last JK Rubicon I promised my wife I was keeping it stock. Then this happened- (FF to 2:30 and then 4:50)

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer

I haven't ventured far down that path. Rock Hard or Artec is who I'm considering.

I'm not 100% sure I need a gas tank skid and both of those kits are complete belly pan systems. I don't know if the gas tank skid is required to tie them together, and if not, if they'll sell me skids without the gas tank component. Silly-minum is undoubtedly more expensive but I'm willing to pay extra to keep the weight down. I just need something to help me slide over rocks, not bash them into submission.

My days of being drug over rocks are over (I think). My last JK Rubicon I promised my wife I was keeping it stock. Then this happened- (FF to 2:30 and then 4:50)

Really considered the MORE offroad skids. You can buy them separately if you don't want the entire setup. Steel or aluminum and it actually covers less, so the weight stays down even with the steel. Really affordable. Love mine!!

I would do the gas tank. Man that thing takes a beating!!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Rubicon vs Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Off-Road Comparison: My Take DB-201006-colorado-06066

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Rubicon vs Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Off-Road Comparison: My Take DB-201006-colorado-06051

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Thank you!

Upgradability, aftermarket support, and ease of customization are large points I overlooked- thank you for bringing them up.

My buddy with the ZR2 was talking about the Bison package. He said the front steel winch bumper gives the truck even worse of an approach angle, and for that, he's glad he didn't get that package.
That's interesting and a bummer...

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Went snow wheeling the other day with a ZR2 and JK. The ZR2 struggled the most out of all of us and not sure why. It wasn’t terrible snow but really had issues making it up steeper hills that were a little slick. Maybe it’s because your stuck with smaller tires.
Maybe so.... that's pretty strange.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It had to be two things. Tires or ground clearance if it was really deep snow.

wellX the only other difference is the JK and JT have better weight distribution. That shouldn’t have made a big difference though, my All Terrain Canyon did great in the snow. Especially, after I got rid of the crappy OEM silent armors. Those were even fine when new.
Sponsored