First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
Here are some additional observations now that I have had my JT for a few months with two long weekends in the woods. Two weekends ago I took a 4 day trip with my son into the FlatTops wilderness. The access was one of the roughest roads I have ever traveled. The 11 mile 4x4 road was low range the whole way and I certainly rubbed diffs, belly and rails at least 25-30 times going up. Never "had" to use lockers though. Interestingly a 2018 PW also came up at the same time I did. This trail took me about 3.5 hours to travel the 11 miles. The PW took 5.5. The main difference is that I could more easily choose the better line whereas the PW had to just go over and execute several 3 point turns to get around some of the rocks and trees. We were both running stock with 33" tires. While we both scrapped a lot I would say the PW scrapped more. Again, on the way back down the PW took 50% longer time due to the bigger vehicle and how difficult the trail was. I was only able to directly observe the PW going over/around obstacles for about 30 minutes so my time estimates are suspect for the PW. They are based on the many stops I made to pick mushrooms and airing back up at the bottom.

Now as to one of the significant differences I noted. While I did not need lockers I certainly tested them out. I found that when I flipped the switch on the JT the lockers engaged, immediately, like before I actually needed them... With the PW there is a "feature" where the lockers do not engage until after the wheels start slipping, not before. I found this feature on the PW very frustrating and it got me into trouble several times as I needed to be locked before I reached the spot that required it.

Now to the apples to oranges part which I bet the 2019 PW solves. My PW was a 5.7 Hemi. I felt it was an UnderPoweredWagon certainly. I also had the older transmission and there was way too much RPM gap between the gears and I frequently was in a place where I needed gearing between existing gears (especially between 2/3). I was often frustrated with the transmission and lack of power in the 5.7 in my PW. I fully expect that the new PW with new transmission and 6.4 will solve these issues I had with my PW. Comparing to the JT now I feel the engine and transmission is far superior to what I felt in my PW. Plenty of power and awesome transmission. I suspect the new PW would be comparable but certainly with a lot more power.

As for Cargo, I really did not think the JT was that far off my PW. Both vehicles carried my typical kit for 2 people out for 4 days with 2 full sized Golden Retards in the back seat. Both would have carried what I needed for a 2 person 7 day trip but not much more than that even with the larger PW.

As I have stated above I was on the fence between a new PW and the JT. I can say that I am still very pleased with my decision to move away from the PW and get the Gladiator instead. If I still had 3 younger children to haul around I would have gone PW though. While I had some frustrations with my 09 PW it was still an awesome vehicle and I have no regrets in having paid for and run this thing for the last 10 years.
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I kept my 16 Ram 2500 C/C 4x4 6.4 and also bought a Gladiator. I traded my 17 JKRHR.

2500 is a massive beast, good at what it does but there is no forgiving the size and weight concerns.

They really aren't the same thing and comparing them is flawed. If you need a half ton truck buy the PW (towing and load are both derated from 2500 specs). If you need a dedicated tow rig buy a 2500 or 3500.

If you want a Jeep to throw camping gear, mulch, dog food in the back of get a Gladiator.