Gladiator vs the power wagon

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
my otd was about $1,100 more than a similar rubicon. They’re actually pretty close in price. It’s more of a size preference really. All they share is price, lockers, disco, and their trucks. Everything else is opposite wnds
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
No topless option
No doorless option
Easier/ smaller to navigate around town and parking
I know that the roofless/topless option is awesome, but realistically where I live it is either too hot or too cold to practically do either 10 months a year. So I don't really factor that in as most people keep them on anyways.

That being said, those two months out of the year I do like to take those suckers off.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Having owned a '08 regular cab with an 8ft bed Power Wagon. And a new JTRD. Here's my thoughts. I think the JTRD as a baby Power Wagon, or the Power Wagon as a large JTRD. I've wheel most of the trails in Moab and all of the trails at Rausch Creek with the Power Wagon. I've done about 3/4's of the trails at Rausch Creek so far with the JTRD. The wheel base on the G3 PW's is 140". The wheel base on the Gladiator is 137". That's only 3". The 4G and up PW's have a wheel base is 149". 12" is a big difference to the Gladiator.

The PW came with the 5.7, 5 speed auto, and 4.56 gears. I had 37" Toyo MT's, custom valved King shocks, Thuren front springs, Carli front control arms, and V2 track bar. Yellowstuff brake pads, EBC rotors with stainless brake lines. Thuren drag link and tie rods. Thuren shackles on the rear springs. A Hemifever custom Diablo engine tune.
On the street. My PW handled great. It went where I pointed it. Stopped on a dime. I even tow my 35ft camper with it. Fuel mileage was around 10 around town. Highway was 14. Towing was about 6 to 8.
On the trail. You just couldn't always pick your line, as the line picked you because of the size. But that don't stop it. Was at AOAA 2 years ago. Was with a bunch of other PW's. Came across a group of Jeeps. We stopped to let them pass. The most asked question for us was. "How in the hell did you guys get back here with those beasts?"
LOVED the old PW. Still miss it. If I needed a bigger truck. I would get another PW.

The JTRD. Oh... I like it. The wifey loves to drive it. Fuel mileage is great. 21 to 22 around town and 27 to 28 highway. It handles better then my old PW. I haven't really pushed it yet in a corner. Big difference in the width. Now the wifey is right next to me. Sometimes, that's not a good thing. LOL
On the trail. To be with my PW. It needs 37's and a 4" lift. Breakover sucks. It's easier to pick lines because of the width not being as wide. Instead of 1 line. I now have 2 or lines. The lockers engage a lot quicker. Hit the switch and they're locked. No more waiting for it to happen. Love the diesel offroad. I can just idle up some stuff now. The 4 to 1 transfer case I have to get used to. It's deep.

Last edited:

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs the power wagon IMG_5366

I did the Rim Rocker trail with a friend driving his stock suspension/tire Powerwagon. There were some tight scrub brush areas that left pinstripes and a couple of spots that required some multiple point turns, but overall the Ram performed awesome. Ironically, the only spot that presented a real challenge was a washout berm near the end at the edge of Moab. Tried everything to get up and over, but not enough clearance and had to cross downstream.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs the power wagon IMG_6D704B013C91-1

ARTWERX

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon - 2017 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Artist
Two completely different vehicles. Coming from two unlimited Wranglers and a Ram 1500, a full-size rig to me is an earth roamer comparatively. Even compared to the Gladiator. If Overlanding is your game then knock yourself out. I like the AEV Prospector XL myself. But when it comes to most of the trails I do, a full-size just isn't going to go the same places.

Sponsored

ILikeYourHat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Ram, Chevy
Occupation
Government drone
I ended up buying a 75th anniversary Power Wagon with the understanding the extra length and weight would limit me over a Gladiator, but that it would be a much more comfortable drive *to* the trail.

There's not much to say that hasn't been said, but if you do decide to cross shop a Power Wagon look for 2019 and up. The 8 speed transmission vs the 6 is a huge improvement. The top trim level 2021 and on has a lot of nice luxury features and the bending beam headlights are phenomenal.

If I could change one thing, it'd be to have a larger gas tank for more range between fueling stops, but I've got zero regrets going PW.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Well I am in the process of moving on from my built Gladiator. I'm building out a new Power Wagon. The last 4 years with my Gladiator have been epic! I have the adventures plus videos to show what the Gladiator is capable of! The Gladiator pound for pound is the best overlanding+ rig out there... for up to a family of 3ish. I have a family of 5 + a dog and I just can't share adventures with them without taking a 2nd vehicle. Here's an example of my poor gladiator loaded down camping :CWL::facepalm:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs the power wagon 20210829_115441

I made a video on the topic and eventually I will make a tribute video for the love I have for the Gladiator. I will most likely be posting my Gladiator on the classifieds next year as well 😢

Here's more of my thoughts in video form on the subject plus the start of my build out on the PW:

Oh and if anyone has specific questions on the PW vs Rubicon I will do my best to answer them as I currently own both.

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Since we are resurrecting this thread from a year ago when I traded my '21 PW for a '22 Gladiator...

I now have the Gladiator on 37's with a Clayton Overland lift and 5.13 gears and so much happier with it than I was the PW. My wife took over the Gladiator, and I bought a '23 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi. After adding a 3.5" lift, bumpers and 35's, I like the 1500 much better than the PW and it tows my TT better than the PW did.

In the end, the PW was a fun concept, but I would not do it again. In my opinion it was too big and heavy for off road, was not a great tow vehicle despite being a "HD" truck, got abysmal fuel economy and I would be willing to bet my 1500 e-torque is quicker 0-60. Don't get me wrong, it was a sweet ride though and I did enjoy it.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Since we are resurrecting this thread from a year ago when I traded my '21 PW for a '22 Gladiator...

I now have the Gladiator on 37's with a Clayton Overland lift and 5.13 gears and so much happier with it than I was the PW. My wife took over the Gladiator, and I bought a '23 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi. After adding a 3.5" lift, bumpers and 35's, I like the 1500 much better than the PW and it tows my TT better than the PW did.

In the end, the PW was a fun concept, but I would not do it again. In my opinion it was too big and heavy for off road, was not a great tow vehicle despite being a "HD" truck, got abysmal fuel economy and I would be willing to bet my 1500 e-torque is quicker 0-60. Don't get me wrong, it was a sweet ride though and I did enjoy it.
Too funny... my wife is currently daily driving my Gladiator w/ 37s and the Clayton Overland+ lift. Wish I had 5.13s tho

Yes the PW is a big girl w/ abysmal MPGs, but I wouldn't trust a 1500 w/ a lift and bigger tires in difficult offroad situations. The axles and various components are significantly weaker to stress then a HD truck. Plus the PW is way more flexy on the trail. If you're NOT taking your 1500 in challenging offroad situations then yes it does most things better than the PW.

jadmt

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Well I am in the process of moving on from my built Gladiator. I'm building out a new Power Wagon. The last 4 years with my Gladiator have been epic! I have the adventures plus videos to show what the Gladiator is capable of! The Gladiator pound for pound is the best overlanding+ rig out there... for up to a family of 3ish. I have a family of 5 + a dog and I just can't share adventures with them without taking a 2nd vehicle. Here's an example of my poor gladiator loaded down camping :CWL::facepalm:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs the power wagon 20210829_115441

I made a video on the topic and eventually I will make a tribute video for the love I have for the Gladiator. I will most likely be posting my Gladiator on the classifieds next year as well 😢

Here's more of my thoughts in video form on the subject plus the start of my build out on the PW:

Oh and if anyone has specific questions on the PW vs Rubicon I will do my best to answer them as I currently own both.
not sure if you are still on here. I have a 2020 PW on 35's and with the sick deals on the gladiators have been thinking of trading for a 23 rubicon gladiator but not sure I will be happy. I come from jeeps and my last was a decently built recon rubicon. I do moab often and have done the rubicon trail and dusy ershim. Not sure if a Gladiator with 35's would be a worth trading for or not. Opinions appreciated?

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I traded my JTR for a 24 Power Wagon. I gotta say the fuel mileage is a wash - i get around 14-16mpg in my PW. Where as I was averaging around 17 in my JTR - if your arguing fuel economy you really shouldn't be looking at Jeep or Truck anyway. If you are thinking about doing a 392 swap, 1 ton axles for a JT your looking at something around $75k+ in upgrades alone - the swap will cost you the better part of $50k easy as AMW does not sell DIY setups and you will have to find a dealer. 1 ton's are around $25k ($30k+ installed if your not doing the work your self) and it will get no better fuel mileage than a PW. I wanted more power after driving my JTR through some more steep grades unloaded the 3.6 was not going to cut it for what I need to do - at which point a PW upgrade makes total perfect sense.
Sponsored