Sponsored

GMRS Use (Rules, Courtesy, Call Sign/Channel Display, Jeep Unique)

Magnus Rudis

First Name
Magnus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Ordered; 2015 Silver Rubicon JKU
I'm interested in adding communications to my Gladiator. I've decided to go the GMRS route as it seems to be the future. I'll keep a hand held CB for backwards compatibility. Installs seem to be covered. So, I'm interested in the usage aspect. How as a community we are using GMRS? CB has a long and storied history. I'm thinking the more we discuss this as a community the easier adoption/transition will be.

And yes I have received my license :)
Sponsored

Econn2000

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
I'm interested in adding communications to my Gladiator. I've decided to go the GMRS route as it seems to be the future. I'll keep a hand held CB for backwards compatibility. Installs seem to be covered. So, I'm interested in the usage aspect. How as a community we are using GMRS? CB has a long and storied history. I'm thinking the more we discuss this as a community the easier adoption/transition will be.

And yes I have received my license :)

I've got my license as well and am going to install my mobile GMRS as soon as I fabricate my overhead panel. This will let us communicate with other GMRS users, as well as those who only have the "bubblepack" FRS/GMRS combos. However, I'm also installing a small CB. I'm old, so I remember the time when every channel on CB was crowded and horribly noisy. However, today, even channel 19 is sparsely populated, and I NEVER hear anyone on the other channels. For price vs performance, CB might now be the perfect trail option.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So I have used GMRS for years in my SAR background and personal life. I find GMRS to be a unknown service although the FRS market did cause some issues. I also run 4 GMRS repeaters in 2 states. Useage is limited. I have not used it in the jeep world as of yet but will be at a jeep jamboree this fall and am curious to see how its used. I always use my call when i start a conversation then when done, however during the conversation our family uses unit numbers to identify each other. On a repeater its just easier. I assume on a trail "hey joe" may work unless there are 15 Joes on the trail. We ran into this on repeaters so just give each user a number. simple and easy. GMRS done right can be a great tool, just remember limitations and understand someone may be a user on the channel already, ie: repeaters.

drkshaw

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Occupation
Emergency Management
Are there advantages of GMRS over HAM or MURS? I'm just learning. Interested in maximum range for emergency use. Thank you for any advice.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Are there advantages of GMRS over HAM or MURS...
Since you specified maximum range for emergency use the answer is no for ham and yes for MURS. Generally, MURS is for short distance communication using handhelds. The power output and range is limited and there are no repeaters. Trying to contact someone in an emergency would be challenging to say the least. Ham radio offers much more powerful radios and tons more frequencies (think of channels). Ham has many more repeaters and is relatively busy depending on where you live. I'm in SoCal. Nearly every time I fire up my ham handheld or mobile there's plenty of chatter going on. If I were in an emergency situation, ham would be my go to without question. With a ham, you can potentially reach someone clear across the country and further. Fire up my GMRS radio and it's silent. Even with the limited repeaters around me, it's silent most of the time.

Sponsored

drkshaw

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Occupation
Emergency Management
Thank you. That certainly agrees with what my initial research says. I think HAM will be the best solution. Now just got to find time to study for the test. I appreciate your advice!

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Being new to GMRS, I have several questions about the repeater channels. I've read some of these channels (15-22) are run by clubs and can be for members only. I saw a mapping data base of these repeater sites and noticed some even want a fee or are just open to everyone. Let's say a buddy and I want to use channel 15 with our vehicle based units and we are in the vicinity of a repeater on the same channel that is maintained by a club for it's members only, does this mean we can't use channel 15?

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Being new to GMRS, I have several questions about the repeater channels. I've read some of these channels (15-22) are run by clubs and can be for members only. I saw a mapping data base of these repeater sites and noticed some even want a fee or are just open to everyone. Let's say a buddy and I want to use channel 15 with our vehicle based units and we are in the vicinity of a repeater on the same channel that is maintained by a club for it's members only, does this mean we can't use channel 15?
So not sure where you are reading this info but repeaters may be open or closed. If your on 15 with your buddy he can't talk to you anyway unless its thru a repeater in the area. Its a duplex channel and with no repeater wont work anyway. If you frequent in an area with GMRS repeaters then reach out to them for permission if required. If you have your license I dont know of a repeater owner that would say no you can't use it but all require your GMRS license. Do some reading on the GMRS forums.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So not sure where you are reading this info but repeaters may be open or closed. If your on 15 with your buddy he can't talk to you anyway unless its thru a repeater in the area. Its a duplex channel and with no repeater wont work anyway. If you frequent in an area with GMRS repeaters then reach out to them for permission if required. If you have your license I dont know of a repeater owner that would say no you can't use it but all require your GMRS license. Do some reading on the GMRS forums.
Will do thanks, already started investigating this topic. I thought the repeaters operated on a duplex mode allowing us to remain on the same channel in a simplex mode while in vehicle to vehicle comms still using high power mode if we chose to.

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
Ok call me old and uneducated lol I work with VHS at work every day and know CBS and HAMS had a FCC License for over 25 years. But I guess I've missed something here lol. What is GMRS? I'm just an old towboat captain so not something we use I guess.

Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ok call me old and uneducated lol I work with VHS at work every day and know CBS and HAMS had a FCC License for over 25 years. But I guess I've missed something here lol. What is GMRS? I'm just an old towboat captain so not something we use I guess.
GMRS is General Mobile Radio Service. It has been around for years and some of us have been licensed for years. It was mainly folks looking to communicate with family and friends as CB was at one time, but in the FM mode. Now with FRS it has come to light as it shares channels/frequencies. A good description is here - https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

Alot of guys are now looking to use these on the trails and sometimes its a valuable tool.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Will do thanks, already started investigating this topic. I thought the repeaters operated on a duplex mode allowing us to remain on the same channel in a simplex mode while in vehicle to vehicle comms still using high power mode if we chose to.
Correct repeaters are duplex. The output of the repeater is your receive frequency on the radio. When in simplex mode you are communicating on the output of the repeater. Unless there is already traffic on the repeater it will not affect the repeater. If people are using the repeater they may ask you to change channels or may not even here you if they are using tones.

I always suggest a low power channel for vehicle to vehicle unless you need high power. With a vehicle antenna there is rarely a time I need to go to high power while I travel. If you need to just find a open channel.

As reference mygmrs.com is a valuable resource for GMRS info. While there is also maps there some may or may not be accurate. Many including myself do not publish all my repeaters as I spend considerable funds to get them on the air and keep them on the air.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Correct repeaters are duplex. The output of the repeater is your receive frequency on the radio. When in simplex mode you are communicating on the output of the repeater. Unless there is already traffic on the repeater it will not affect the repeater. If people are using the repeater they may ask you to change channels or may not even here you if they are using tones.

I always suggest a low power channel for vehicle to vehicle unless you need high power. With a vehicle antenna there is rarely a time I need to go to high power while I travel. If you need to just find a open channel.

As reference mygmrs.com is a valuable resource for GMRS info. While there is also maps there some may or may not be accurate. Many including myself do not publish all my repeaters as I spend considerable funds to get them on the air and keep them on the air.

Thank you for clarifying what has been perplexing me about repeater channels. I have bookmarked your website for further reference. Tks!
Sponsored