Sponsored

Good JT 2.5" lift for 35's and shock setup for a JT overland?

Jclayc

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Do you carry and heavy gear and how much (if you know) did you rim and tire combo weigh? Also do you know your gear ratio.
No gear at all, just regular highway driving, had the Mopar Extreme Recon wheels with BFG KO2's, stock 3.73 gears in my Overland.
Sponsored

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
I have a Diesel, and gearing in Diesels vs Pentastar is apples vs oranges.

Example: I have stock gearing at 3.73. I've talked with a guy with nearly the same use cases that I have, that ran 35's, 37's and now 38's, with a Diesel, and he recommended not regearing the Diesel until/unless I go to 38's. And he runs an axle shop! I've seen slight drop in mileage from stock, (I can still get 24mpg on a good day, usually average 21). And the engine has enough grunt to pull my trailer even with the big tires.

Gasser, is a different animal. If you plan on running 35's I'd check on the forum for guys running the same engine/tranny/gear setup as you, and see what their experience is. Id think you would be fine with stock gears at 35", ... but going to 37's you'd probably want to re-gear.

But think of your real use cases. I went to 37's because I feared I'd scrape on breakover and departure angles with 35's on my yearly Moab trips. But the other 99% of the time I use the truck (bird hunting with dogs, Home Depot Trips, trailering to campsites, accessing the bed, etc.) I kinda wish I had 35's on still. So now I'm contemplating getting another set of rims, running 35's day to day, and putting the 37's on only when I go to Moab.

If you are doing strictly street use, and really using the truck as a truck, you might want to stick with 35's.

... oh, yeah, and with 37's my wife wants me to put steps on the side... more weight to the truck, less available payload, wa, wa, wa...

OP
OP

Pdog3232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator overland (black)
Occupation
none
I have a Diesel, and gearing in Diesels vs Pentastar is apples vs oranges.

Example: I have stock gearing at 3.73. I've talked with a guy with nearly the same use cases that I have, that ran 35's, 37's and now 38's, with a Diesel, and he recommended not regearing the Diesel until/unless I go to 38's. And he runs an axle shop! I've seen slight drop in mileage from stock, (I can still get 24mpg on a good day, usually average 21). And the engine has enough grunt to pull my trailer even with the big tires.

Gasser, is a different animal. If you plan on running 35's I'd check on the forum for guys running the same engine/tranny/gear setup as you, and see what their experience is. Id think you would be fine with stock gears at 35", ... but going to 37's you'd probably want to re-gear.

But think of your real use cases. I went to 37's because I feared I'd scrape on breakover and departure angles with 35's on my yearly Moab trips. But the other 99% of the time I use the truck (bird hunting with dogs, Home Depot Trips, trailering to campsites, accessing the bed, etc.) I kinda wish I had 35's on still. So now I'm contemplating getting another set of rims, running 35's day to day, and putting the 37's on only when I go to Moab.

If you are doing strictly street use, and really using the truck as a truck, you might want to stick with 35's.

... oh, yeah, and with 37's my wife wants me to put steps on the side... more weight to the truck, less available payload, wa, wa, wa...
This was very helpful your making me feel very confident in the 35s now! Thanks again

OP
OP

Pdog3232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
none
No gear at all, just regular highway driving, had the Mopar Extreme Recon wheels with BFG KO2's, stock 3.73 gears in my Overland.
Do you know how long you have had the 37s on? I’ve heard people say (not sure if its true) but they work great but eventually give out and do more damage. (Just wondering)

JeepCode4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator HA
22 High Altitude here (wide dana 44's stock), fox elite 2.5 shocks and 1.5" front level. nothing else. 3.73 gearing.

35's (actually 35.4" 285/75/18s) work and fit perfect, I've been very happy with them over the 33's. 0.5mpg less maybe, nothing significant. Drives and runs much better frankly than stock. See 7 and 8th gear often, esp on highway. After i changed the tire size in the computer, the transmission re-learned and its perfect.

Jeep Gladiator Good JT 2.5" lift for 35's and shock setup for a JT overland? JT

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pdog3232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
none
22 High Altitude here (wide dana 44's stock), fox elite 2.5 shocks and 1.5" front level. nothing else. 3.73 gearing.

35's (actually 35.4" 285/75/18s) work and fit perfect, I've been very happy with them over the 33's. 0.5mpg less maybe, nothing significant. Drives and runs much better frankly than stock. See 7 and 8th gear often, esp on highway. After i changed the tire size in the computer, the transmission re-learned and its perfect.

Jeep Gladiator Good JT 2.5" lift for 35's and shock setup for a JT overland? JT
Awesome! That’s beautiful!!

Thisguyuknow

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 1986 CJ-7 Laredo
Occupation
ARMY
Different fenders on the Rubicon. But here are pics of the aev 2 inch spacer lift vs the 2.5 spring. I'd recommend either of these options for what you want.

Maybe do the 2 inch spacer lift and use the saving on a full lift to get a regear. If your going to go 35s or bigger the absolute best thing you can do is proper gearing.

1208221555b_HDR~2.jpg

1213221258_HDR~2.jpg

1229221525_HDR~2.jpg

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Do you carry and heavy gear and how much (if you know) did you rim and tire combo weigh? Also do you know your gear ratio.
Before you look at any lift you really need to think about your particular use case. This forum is a wonderful site full of a ton of excellent information - but everybody is different. For example, the first several posts on this particular threads were folks with the MOPAR lift, but obviously with hardly any weight in the bed. One person did mention something about weight.

Weight and use case are the most critical aspects that will direct you toward the appropriate lift. Without knowing these, you could be spending a ton of unnecessary money. For example, if you are just using it as a grocery getter and want some more height, then a spacer lift and shock extensions might do the trick just fine. But if your intent is to be maxed out on weight and still pull a trailer, then you will have major issues with that spacer lift on the stock shocks and springs.

IMO, even more important than your use case is weight. Howe much weight you truly plan on carrying all the time really can determine relatively what direction you go. Here is a very short thread that just started to touch on that topic. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ly-driver-weekender-build.67432/#post-1105797

So before spending money, I strongly suggest you spend time thinking about this and maybe put together your own spreadsheet listing the items you want permanently on the jeep as well as items you want to carry, including weights of people you will take. The results might be surprising. Looking at lift components is totally fine but just don't buy something until you really have a good feel for your use and weight.

OP
OP

Pdog3232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
none
Before you look at any lift you really need to think about your particular use case. This forum is a wonderful site full of a ton of excellent information - but everybody is different. For example, the first several posts on this particular threads were folks with the MOPAR lift, but obviously with hardly any weight in the bed. One person did mention something about weight.

Weight and use case are the most critical aspects that will direct you toward the appropriate lift. Without knowing these, you could be spending a ton of unnecessary money. For example, if you are just using it as a grocery getter and want some more height, then a spacer lift and shock extensions might do the trick just fine. But if your intent is to be maxed out on weight and still pull a trailer, then you will have major issues with that spacer lift on the stock shocks and springs.

IMO, even more important than your use case is weight. Howe much weight you truly plan on carrying all the time really can determine relatively what direction you go. Here is a very short thread that just started to touch on that topic. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ly-driver-weekender-build.67432/#post-1105797

So before spending money, I strongly suggest you spend time thinking about this and maybe put together your own spreadsheet listing the items you want permanently on the jeep as well as items you want to carry, including weights of people you will take. The results might be surprising. Looking at lift components is totally fine but just don't buy something until you really have a good feel for your use and weight.
Thai was very helpful!! Thank you so much for this!

OP
OP

Pdog3232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
none
Different fenders on the Rubicon. But here are pics of the aev 2 inch spacer lift vs the 2.5 spring. I'd recommend either of these options for what you want.

Maybe do the 2 inch spacer lift and use the saving on a full lift to get a regear. If your going to go 35s or bigger the absolute best thing you can do is proper gearing.

Jeep Gladiator Good JT 2.5" lift for 35's and shock setup for a JT overland? 1229221525_HDR~2

Jeep Gladiator Good JT 2.5" lift for 35's and shock setup for a JT overland? 1229221525_HDR~2

Super helpful!!! Thanks again
Sponsored