Gorilla Glass

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Probably a supply line issue. They may have attempted orders the their system is responding with an issue. I think the same thing happened with the tire pressure inflating alert system. It just disappeared due to chip availability.
Sponsored

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Do windshields get hit and crack more often on Gladiators and Wranglers than other vehicles?

I perused the web with no answers. I am very curious. I’ll throw out some theories with absolutely no evidence other than personal experience:

One could speculate that the angle of the Jeep glass is flatter, so impacts are not diffused as much. Makes sense. But subjectively, just my experience, it feels like I haven’t had nearly as many pebbles and the like hit the windshield - regardless of damage - on my non-Jeep vehicles over the years.

Maybe there is something about the Jeep “slipstream” that somehow transports debris to the windshield instead of stopping it at the front grill? I have no idea, but the front isn’t exactly aerodynamic. It wouldn’t appear to my layman’s eye to be capable of pushing more air and low flying stuff toward the windshield than other vehicles.

Maybe Jeeps are exposed to more direct sunlight or temperature extremes which cause cracking or weakness? Not in my case, but could be for some people.

Maybe Jeeps drive through more “debris”, ie they are more frequently driven in the “dirty” lanes frequented by trucks and construction vehicles. That’s probably true for me personally. My Jeeps have not been as comfortable at my normal driving speeds in other cars. Certainly less time in the left lane. (Aside, many years of long distance motorcycle riding taught me to pass Jeeps and lifted trucks asap since since their fender coverage is usually so poor. They spit rocks.).

I tend to think think that we have just as many windshield impacts, with the same severity , as any other vehicle would when driving the same routes. It’s interesting how many car and truck owners believe that their model is uniquely defective in this regard:

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/eve...model-has-defective-windshield-and-roof-glass

Last, as a know-nothing who simply read through the stuff on Corning’s website, I still don’t understand why that impressive Gorilla Glass the inside vs. the outside layer of the windshield. It just makes me want to reverse the windshield.

Komato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Ordered a JTOD April 21st and it was an option, I opted for it anyway after reading about lots of breakages thought I’d give it a try

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Go read the cracked windshield club thread. I had mine cracked in the first 12 months. Yes, I've had others crack and chip, but this second glass has more chips in it than any other windshield I've ever had in the same miles and time-frame.
The numbers here talking of broken glass is amazing.

Maybe Jeeps drive through more “debris”, ie they are more frequently driven in the “dirty” lanes frequented by trucks and construction vehicles. That’s probably true for me personally. My Jeeps have not been as comfortable at my normal driving speeds in other cars. Certainly less time in the left lane. (Aside, many years of long distance motorcycle riding taught me to pass Jeeps and lifted trucks asap since since their fender coverage is usually so poor. They spit rocks.).
Not in my case. Mine gets driven exactly as I've driven any other vehicle. And since it started out brand new, I was actually a bit more careful in that first year.
On interstates the "debris" is the same on all lanes - there's no curb to collect it.
Trucks and construction vehicles move in any lane. In fact I'm more often passed by trucks and "construction vehicles" than some other vehicles percentage-wise. They get paid by the trip - more trips in a day, more pay. Dump trucks around here fly and hardly stay in the right lane.

I drive mine in the same places, the same ways, the same speeds, everything the same. It's as comfortable to drive as anything I have had so no differences here.

The glass is "taller" in that there's more frontage exposed for sure. I've had rock chips above the windshield of other vehicles where this one would have taken it on the glass.
Laid back glass would have more of a glancing blow than a direct hit these take. The energy will be higher.

I'm just waiting for this windshield to break given the huge number of chips in the glass, some barely visible, but they are there, you can see them when the glass is clean in the sunlight. The sparkle effect. Normally it takes years and 2 or 3 times this number of miles for my windshields to look like this one does.
Sponsored