Gorilla Glass help

OP
OP

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Gorilla Glass was one thing I could have shaved from my new JT order had I been far enough away from my goal trade difference. It was a "I don't HAVE to have it" thing, but then I'm sometimes a nut for new technology and I looked at the other attributes of it.
I went in to this order, this time, with eyes wide open as far as Gorilla Glass goes. I knew it wasn't going to prevent sand blasting. That's going to happen, exactly like any other windshield because the outer layer is like any other windshield.
Rock chips - meh, will likely still get those here and there. Because the inner layer flexes more I suppose damage could be reduced for certain specific impacts where the glass is extremely rigid so takes the hit harder rather than allowing for a small bit of flex.
I opted for it for two reasons, they may make sense to others, maybe not, doesn't matter - my truck, my money, what the heck ->

Lighter - in theory that's a big deal when folding the windshield down. What's my chances of doing that out in the wild? LOL - well, get serious. But then never say never??
Lighter - 30% is 30% - that means I can not work so hard to lose the 25 pounds my wife has been begging me to lose. Well, likely it won't change that any. But lighter is good.

Safety - I've studied, dug, studied some more, watched a ton of videos, dug into how it works, what it really does, and decided that since my truck has ended up being our daily driver for much of the time, and my wife is in that truck at least half the time it's on the road - I decided the safety factor alone helped make up my mind.
Besides the videos showing how it protects people in event of a major rock hit, etc. - I spent years as a mechanic - several of those years were back in the 70s and 80s, in a shop that ran two wreckers 24/7 and did towing for the State of Iowa highway patrol, and the City of Altoona police, and once in a while for the Polk County sheriff's office.
I saw more than I wanted to. To this day there are things I can't unsee. I didn't run the wrecker myself but I helped when the vehicles came back to us for storage or safe-keeping until the IHP could come investigate, etc. I got cut up more than once moving and going through the cars the boss towed in, tiny pieces of glass. I can only imagine by the blood on seats and dash, I wasn't the first one cut up in there. I kept tweezers in my tool box.
One of the biggies, was damage done by glass. If you can prevent some of that with a safer, flexible layer toward the passengers, it's a good thing.
(I've also done my share of parts gathering from salvage yards.)

So I ordered it - lighter, stronger, safer for people inside the vehicle.
But it won't prevent the sandblasting we see in Iowa every year due to the mega-tons of sand used here, the dirt tracked onto our highways by farm equipment, and it won't prevent chips. It may help prevent chips from spreading under certain conditions, maybe.

(too bad it wasn't in my son's Jeep when he was driving in our neighborhood not far from the river. The glass company and my son both concluded - it was a gunshot that damaged his windshield. There were No other vehicles around, no one else on that road. )
I hear you, even though I wonā€™t touch another one of their fucking products for my Jeeps, I do in theory appreciate the potential benefit. Which is why I gave it a try in the first place, The warranty and sales folks really seemed optimistic.

I guess itā€™s just the company itself they are too big to fail with no product customer service, and in my mind a truly inferior product for the hype.

But hey, if there werenā€™t people like us trying it first we would have no beta šŸ˜‚

#fuckgorillaglass
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
But hey, if there werenā€™t people like us trying it first we would have no beta šŸ˜‚
For years I felt like that's all I got done -beta testing stuff. It was horrible in IT.

NoDoorsNoProblem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2004 TJ Unlimited
My friend who works for Corning said that was supposed to be available last summer late. You can order new JTs with GG and ACC/FCW new from the factory. Order was accepted, no problem, so it exists.
Not referring to the factory and/or dealer installed version of the GG, I ordered mine from the factory with the ACC suite, and after jumping through some hoops I was able to get it replaced with the same GG.

I was referring to the Hyperperformance Glass, which a lot of people have turned to and had much better results with. Their product I guess is slightly different somehow when is comes to the ACC sensors, and they donā€™t have a model compatible with it - just a part number for non-ACC jeeps. I confirmed this over the phone with their rep, he said sometime this summer hopefully they would have completed R&D and be producing it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not referring to the factory and/or dealer installed version of the GG, I ordered mine from the factory with the ACC suite, and after jumping through some hoops I was able to get it replaced with the same GG.

I was referring to the Hyperperformance Glass, which a lot of people have turned to and had much better results with. Their product I guess is slightly different somehow when is comes to the ACC sensors, and they donā€™t have a model compatible with it - just a part number for non-ACC jeeps. I confirmed this over the phone with their rep, he said sometime this summer hopefully they would have completed R&D and be producing it.
They are treating their glass in similar fashion to the Gorilla Glass inner layer. The outer is still soda lime glass and a thick layer with UV protection and that may be where they are needing to do more R&D or testing.
It's also a very good choice for sure. HTJ-003
Available soon is what I've been seeing. If I had to replace the glass in my current truck, I was looking into it myself but alas, I have the ACC/FCW so if it gets damaged........... I'd throw in a cheap replacement now that it's being traded for a new one.

NoDoorsNoProblem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2004 TJ Unlimited
They are treating their glass in similar fashion to the Gorilla Glass inner layer. The outer is still soda lime glass and a thick layer with UV protection and that may be where they are needing to do more R&D or testing.
It's also a very good choice for sure. HTJ-003
Available soon is what I've been seeing. If I had to replace the glass in my current truck, I was looking into it myself but alas, I have the ACC/FCW so if it gets damaged........... I'd throw in a cheap replacement now that it's being traded for a new one.
Yup, itā€™s been saying ā€œavailable soonā€ since at least November. How do I know that? Because I got my first chip-turned-crack on DAY 4 of ownership, back in NOV shortly after I picked the truck up. In FEB I called them to see what their lead time was once I finally settled in after doing a lot of moving between DEC-FEB and finally addressing the crack. They told me hopefully early summer, but possibly later. In the meantime I did get Jeep to replace my GG - anyone reading, see my earlier posts for how I did it. So not in the market for the HPG replacement quite yet

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
why not use some lamin-x for windshield when the new one is on?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
why not use some lamin-x for windshield when the new one is on?
I bet it won't work well with ACC/FCW
It changes the optics. Any film will, there's no getting around it.
Where adhesive contacts the glass is a spot for refraction as well as where the adhesive joins the film layer. Subtle but there.

I have to wonder, and would challenge them to prove, that it could actually hold up against the sand spread on all road in the winter. I know they say it's tough and scratch resistant, but.............

JTMJT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
Looking for suggestions, last year I put gorilla glass on my JTR, and last week I was hit by a rock with the typical Jeep windshield outcome. While still on the road immediately after the occurrence I called the company who I purchased it through and who subsequently installed it (dealership recommended), they said no worries we will start working on the claim. Itā€™s been a week now and they are unable to contact anyone from Corning gorilla glass, I have tried with no response either.
Itā€™s at a point now where visibility is a severe issue, and I will likely have to buy another windshield as they are not being responsive in any capacityā€¦any ideas or am I out of pocket for a new one?
I got the total run around from my dealer. You are out of pocket - save yourself the mental anguish.
1st - and foremost - Gorilla Glass is no better than a regular windshield. I've had 4 windshields in the past 12 months and 2 were Gorilla Glass.
2nd - if You did not get a service request through your dealer (mine outsources windshield stuff) you will not get a warranty. I could not show a direct connection between the dealer requesting the window service and them replacing my windshield. They both knew what they were doing, its a sham.
3rd - Get a good deductible. my 4th jeep but the worst on windshields. as I mentioned, this is my fourth windshield in a 12 month period.
I now plan for 3 windshields a year.
I BELIEVE the GLADIATOR windshields break one of two ways. The speed these new JL/JTs can make down the freeway is pretty good. We can now go fast but our windshields are still flat. Do the math.

The JT frame flexes too much and is responsible for two of my breaks while I was wheeling.

PS: Just broke my fourth windshield. Nothing hit it, no off camber wheeling or flexing, UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I bet it won't work well with ACC/FCW
It changes the optics. Any film will, there's no getting around it.
Where adhesive contacts the glass is a spot for refraction as well as where the adhesive joins the film layer. Subtle but there.

I have to wonder, and would challenge them to prove, that it could actually hold up against the sand spread on all road in the winter. I know they say it's tough and scratch resistant, but.............
Thats been my worry about it. For what ever internet reviews are worth, it does seem to review well. I just cant find a ton of them. I was thinking its value might be in using it for long road trips, a one time use sorta thing that gets you through your journey. I bet the optics are not horrible when initially applied otherwise, I doubt they could even sell/market it. If it holds up well for the trip then maybe worth it. Might be better than trying to get a glass replaced 1000 mile from home.

Im spoiled living in Florida because the insurance has to replace. Got a scam call the other day from someone trying to abuse this law by scaring me into replacing my windshield......." that nick will spiderweb and shatter in your face, especially on cheap glass used by.......what kinda car do you have?" I just had to laugh.....told the guy to refine his scam.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thats been my worry about it. For what ever internet reviews are worth, it does seem to review well. I just cant find a ton of them. I was thinking its value might be in using it for long road trips, a one time use sorta thing that gets you through your journey. I bet the optics are not horrible when initially applied otherwise, I doubt they could even sell/market it. If it holds up well for the trip then maybe worth it. Might be better than trying to get a glass replaced 1000 mile from home.

Im spoiled living in Florida because the insurance has to replace. Got a scam call the other day from someone trying to abuse this law by scaring me into replacing my windshield......." that nick will spiderweb and shatter in your face, especially on cheap glass used by.......what kinda car do you have?" I just had to laugh.....told the guy to refine his scam.
I have a fair sized deductible. It never mattered with prior vehicles. Broken glass was once every 3 or 4 years and often it was a free fix because I noticed the spot before it spread. I've had several replaced and several repaired. I had new glass put in my SX4 during restoration, then 2 years later - rock chip. Trust me, it was painted by then I ran in and called for a repair in minutes.
Anyway, this body style will see more chips and breaks for obvious reasons so I'm going to tell my agent to drop the deductible.

Anyone familiar with auto glass would know that windshield is made in that way by law and won't shatter in your face. Granted, a hard hit will send shards into the cabin from the inner layer, but an existing break won't fall to pieces. I drove that VW Bunny I had for 2 for a couple of years with a very illegal windshield - I bought it from a guy who let his kid drive it. His kid was messing around with a friend and one of them ended up landing on the windshield making the whole driver side one massive spiderweb. It sparkled in the sun light, you never wanted to drive that car facing the sun and you have to sort of look around and through the cracks. I knew I could get pulled over and red the riot act on it....... but it wasn't worth spending a dime on. When I was done with it I gave it to a charity who hauled it off and sold it for scrap. The windshield never did come apart, nor could it with that middle layer.

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Iā€™m dipping a toe into the GG pool this Friday. Yep ....another AZ stone strike. Insurance covers GG replacement. Will see if it holds up any better than the standard OEM Iā€™ve been replacing with.

Do yourself a favor and ask you insurance dude what glass coverage costs. Wife and I have it on ours for like $2 a month. No brainer here in AZ.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gorilla Glass was one thing I could have shaved from my new JT order had I been far enough away from my goal trade difference. It was a "I don't HAVE to have it" thing, but then I'm sometimes a nut for new technology and I looked at the other attributes of it.
I went in to this order, this time, with eyes wide open as far as Gorilla Glass goes. I knew it wasn't going to prevent sand blasting. That's going to happen, exactly like any other windshield because the outer layer is like any other windshield.
Rock chips - meh, will likely still get those here and there. Because the inner layer flexes more I suppose damage could be reduced for certain specific impacts where the glass is extremely rigid so takes the hit harder rather than allowing for a small bit of flex.
I opted for it for two reasons, they may make sense to others, maybe not, doesn't matter - my truck, my money, what the heck ->

Lighter - in theory that's a big deal when folding the windshield down. What's my chances of doing that out in the wild? LOL - well, get serious. But then never say never??
Lighter - 30% is 30% - that means I can not work so hard to lose the 25 pounds my wife has been begging me to lose. Well, likely it won't change that any. But lighter is good.

Safety - I've studied, dug, studied some more, watched a ton of videos, dug into how it works, what it really does, and decided that since my truck has ended up being our daily driver for much of the time, and my wife is in that truck at least half the time it's on the road - I decided the safety factor alone helped make up my mind.
Besides the videos showing how it protects people in event of a major rock hit, etc. - I spent years as a mechanic - several of those years were back in the 70s and 80s, in a shop that ran two wreckers 24/7 and did towing for the State of Iowa highway patrol, and the City of Altoona police, and once in a while for the Polk County sheriff's office.
I saw more than I wanted to. To this day there are things I can't unsee. I didn't run the wrecker myself but I helped when the vehicles came back to us for storage or safe-keeping until the IHP could come investigate, etc. I got cut up more than once moving and going through the cars the boss towed in, tiny pieces of glass. I can only imagine by the blood on seats and dash, I wasn't the first one cut up in there. I kept tweezers in my tool box.
One of the biggies, was damage done by glass. If you can prevent some of that with a safer, flexible layer toward the passengers, it's a good thing.
(I've also done my share of parts gathering from salvage yards.)

So I ordered it - lighter, stronger, safer for people inside the vehicle.
But it won't prevent the sandblasting we see in Iowa every year due to the mega-tons of sand used here, the dirt tracked onto our highways by farm equipment, and it won't prevent chips. It may help prevent chips from spreading under certain conditions, maybe.

(too bad it wasn't in my son's Jeep when he was driving in our neighborhood not far from the river. The glass company and my son both concluded - it was a gunshot that damaged his windshield. There were No other vehicles around, no one else on that road. )
Man I like reading your replies
Sponsored