First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Unfortunately if you read the fine print. They won't cover a crack over 6 inches long.
What fine print? I've had several windshield glass replacements here in Minnesota, some for chips, some for long cracks, and I've not had to pay anything additional out of pocket.
Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
My HGP windshield delivered and I got it installed a week or so ago. It's tough to spend that much on a "non-exciting" mod, but so far everything's fine... it is more optically clear (as advertised), but the downside is I find myself tailgating dump trucks waiting for the "big shot" to see if it really works.... No luck yet.
My thinking was that if I have to replace the glass just one more time in my ownership of the vehicle, the windshield has paid for itself. I'm pretty sure I would hit that milestone within the 2 year warranty HGP offers.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Any of these solution work with the electronic driver aids? Wondering if the plastic application/cover product works and if the Gorilla glass works with the new driver aids?

Js9234

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Under section II sentence 5 "Exceptions to this warranty". They denied my windshield replacement because the crack is longer than 6 inches. And you're not allowed to cancel the warranty. I tried. It's in the fine print as well🙄
What fine print? I've had several windshield glass replacements here in Minnesota, some for chips, some for long cracks, and I've not had to pay anything additional out of pocket.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
IF we are talking straight insurance, as with any insurance, it varies from company to company, and what each state allows or disallows for exclusions and so on. So there's no hard fast rule on such things. My insurance has a $500 deductible for glass - crazy, it's a fraction of that on our other vehicles, but the JT the deductibles jump up big-time. I need to chat with them about that. Maybe it's because it's a known problem or they feel the vehicles will be used in such a way that glass will get broken more often than any other vehicle on the road?
Crack size doesn't matter squat for our coverage in any case, on any of our vehicles. Why should it? a rock hits, it cracks 4" or it cracks 7" - it's still the same event, the same result - windshield is cracked. It's like saying if your fender dent is over 1/4" deep, they won't cover it.

If it's extended warranty - that varies with the company - is it MOPAR or one of the many others that dealers sell???

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Under section II sentence 5 "Exceptions to this warranty". They denied my windshield replacement because the crack is longer than 6 inches. And you're not allowed to cancel the warranty. I tried. It's in the fine print as well🙄
ahh I think I see the disconnect, you're referring to Gorilla Glass warranty, my comment context was referring to auto insurance glass coverage (USAA in my case, in the state of MN)

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Information regarding HGP windshield warranty | HGP - Hyperformance Glass Products

This. theirs is actually 3"..... which, if you think about it, is kinda fair. They don't want to repair hammer or bowling ball damage, and they don't want to wait for a chip to run for you to call them... I guess....
The problem with that is this - in my case, there was a chip no one could see, it was in a spot hidden from normal view while in the truck and it obviously happened while on our normal streets and secondary highways here. I go out one day and suddenly, I see a crack that's about 5 or 6" long or so (forget exactly, maybe have a picture). So in that case, it was not there one day, was there the next, while SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY. The crack was simply there when I went to get into the truck. I took it to the collision center at the dealer and they cleaned the glass thoroughly and about the size of a period in this sentence, they were able to locate a teeny chip. There it was, but the glass had to be spotless to see it. I never heard a hit, never saw a chip, one day there was a crack.
I'd have been thoroughly pissed if they had denied a claim because of that. (it was OEM glass, the original, and due to the chip, not warranted)

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Could you use ExoShield to protect from rock chips? It does come with a two year warranty.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Information regarding HGP windshield warranty | HGP - Hyperformance Glass Products

This. theirs is actually 3"..... which, if you think about it, is kinda fair. They don't want to repair hammer or bowling ball damage, and they don't want to wait for a chip to run for you to call them... I guess....
The problem with that is this - in my case, there was a chip no one could see, it was in a spot hidden from normal view while in the truck and it obviously happened while on our normal streets and secondary highways here. I go out one day and suddenly, I see a crack that's about 5 or 6" long or so (forget exactly, maybe have a picture). So in that case, it was not there one day, was there the next, while SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY. The crack was simply there when I went to get into the truck. I took it to the collision center at the dealer and they cleaned the glass thoroughly and about the size of a period in this sentence, they were able to locate a teeny chip. There it was, but the glass had to be spotless to see it. I never heard a hit, never saw a chip, one day there was a crack.
I'd have been thoroughly pissed if they had denied a claim because of that. (it was OEM glass, the original, and due to the chip, not warranted)
I would have also had a problem with this warranty. I got a "regular" rock chip that morphed into a top to bottom crack, all within 20 miles, during the same trip. The HGP warranty states that the damage must fall in size between 25mm and 76mm. That means if you have damage smaller than 1 inch or larger than 3 inches, it's not covered. I don't consider that a very good warranty. I went from <1" to >3" in about 3-4 miles.

I did an online quote for 'regular' glass at Safelite. It's showing $504.99 for the glass and $375 for "calibration". The calibration charge is for the Radar (I assume??). Since I haven't seen Calibration mentioned in my exploration of glass threads, I'm not sure what to think? I'm guessing the procedure can't possibly be worth $375. Anybody know about this??

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose a real question here is..... Is the HGP glass really less prone to chips running into cracks, as their videos indicate? They seem to insinuate that the windshield will chip with tiny little divots, but they do not spider and crack like normal laminate windshields do.
The chip I had that lead to the FACTORY windshield being replaced was a tiny nick on the passenger side "frit", and it ran all the way across to in front of my face overnight....

I may have missed it in @ShadowsPapa and @Nitroexpress posts, but has anyone busted a HGP windshield at all, yet?

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose a real question here is..... Is the HGP glass really less prone to chips running into cracks, as their videos indicate? They seem to insinuate that the windshield will chip with tiny little divots, but they do not spider and crack like normal laminate windshields do.
The chip I had that lead to the FACTORY windshield being replaced was a tiny nick on the passenger side "frit", and it ran all the way across to in front of my face overnight....

I may have missed it in @ShadowsPapa and @Nitroexpress posts, but has anyone busted a HGP windshield at all, yet?
My broken glass is the OEM glass. I'm wondering the same as you regarding the quality of HGP. My replacement glass will be out of pocket, so I am trying to determine if I should opt for the (supposedly) better glass.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I would have also had a problem with this warranty. I got a "regular" rock chip that morphed into a top to bottom crack, all within 20 miles, during the same trip. The HGP warranty states that the damage must fall in size between 25mm and 76mm. That means if you have damage smaller than 1 inch or larger than 3 inches, it's not covered. I don't consider that a very good warranty. I went from <1" to >3" in about 3-4 miles.

I did an online quote for 'regular' glass at Safelite. It's showing $504.99 for the glass and $375 for "calibration". The calibration charge is for the Radar (I assume??). Since I haven't seen Calibration mentioned in my exploration of glass threads, I'm not sure what to think? I'm guessing the procedure can't possibly be worth $375. Anybody know about this??
Standard cost and the dealership is even worse. The equipment isn't cheap and not many places do it... my insurance said Safelite and the dealership were the only sources around me to get my Tacoma recalibrated.

The cost of that and the false positives I had in that truck are why my JT doesn't have the system.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Standard cost and the dealership is even worse. The equipment isn't cheap and not many places do it... my insurance said Safelite and the dealership were the only sources around me to get my Tacoma recalibrated.

The cost of that and the false positives I had in that truck are why my JT doesn't have the system.
Windshield replaced, NO recalibration.
IMO, why? It's mounted on the frame, not the glass like some may be. You can fold the windshield down, up, down, up, and no recalibration.
Mine wasn't recalibrated and everything works GREAT. ACC, auto high beams, works perfect. I can't see how they could be better.

When my glass was replaced there were two options - original OEM glass with the Jeep stuff on it, or aftermarket direct replacement, a little cheaper, not a ton. There wasn't anything else available as far as what the collision center told me. I believe it, it was about a year ago.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I wish I didn't have it...I'm still not sure why it would need to be calibrated. What is the difference between folding the windshield or replacing it?
Sponsored