pacificoflyr

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
HAHAHAHA - I've stripped vehicles to the frame, I've done restorations. The TIME, the HOURS, the work - wow. That means stripping the thing as if doing a "frame off restoration". Then you have to put it all back together and line up the box and cab and - the HOURS.

NEW frame, I wonder what THAT costs........ then the labor? This ain't a 1970 Chevy C10.
Exactly. Not to mention getting a frame to HAWAII I'm sure is just as easy as sending a Christmas card.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. Not to mention getting a frame to HAWAII I'm sure is just as easy as sending a Christmas card.
Wow, I forgot that fact - even a Christmas card would take days.
At least in Alaska, they can wait for the ice roads to be built and truck it in.

Tell ya what, my wife has always wanted to visit your state - I'll see if it will fit in the carry-on......

OP
OP
pacificoflyr

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Wow, I forgot that fact - even a Christmas card would take days.
At least in Alaska, they can wait for the ice roads to be built and truck it in.

Tell ya what, my wife has always wanted to visit your state - I'll see if it will fit in the carry-on......
Better wait awhile! Its a mess down here. State is locked down again and the local government has lost their marbles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Better wait awhile! Its a mess down here. State is locked down again and the local government has lost their marbles.
Losing something implies you had it to begin with HAHAHAHA. Just messin' around.

Our trip to Australia was "postponed" - was to be later this year, now hopefully next fall. Bummer, so looking forward to it. I guess that means that by the time it comes up we might actually have all the money saved up.

Well, one of these days we'll make it down your way.......

OP
OP
pacificoflyr

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Losing something implies you had it to begin with HAHAHAHA. Just messin' around.

Our trip to Australia was "postponed" - was to be later this year, now hopefully next fall. Bummer, so looking forward to it. I guess that means that by the time it comes up we might actually have all the money saved up.

Well, one of these days we'll make it down your way.......
So true on the marbles.... I miss Oz!

Sponsored

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Also with that amount of damage and the airbags deploying, it might show up eventually in the CARFAX report, and will cause the value to go down.....just sucks big time.

OP
OP
pacificoflyr

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Also with that amount of damage and the airbags deploying, it might show up eventually in the CARFAX report, and will cause the value to go down.....just sucks big time.
Exactly. It should be in the carfax, another concern if they attempt to fix this. My dealer says they don't look at wrecked cars...they send them off to a body shop.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. It should be in the carfax, another concern if they attempt to fix this. My dealer says they don't look at wrecked cars...they send them off to a body shop.
Some do, most don't, around here. The dealer I bought from does have a collision center but they operate semi-independently and I found they aren't true experts in the JT - pretty good, but they even call in a kid who does glass do to the windshields, they don't do those themselves!
The dealer we normally use for repairs (closer, smaller, easier to deal with shop-wise) has no collision repair provisions - it's all farmed out.
It's very expensive to maintain collision repair. Most dealers would rather let dedicated shops do that. They'd just not be able to keep going doing only vehicles like they sell. Not cost effective.

OP
OP
pacificoflyr

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Some do, most don't, around here. The dealer I bought from does have a collision center but they operate semi-independently and I found they aren't true experts in the JT - pretty good, but they even call in a kid who does glass do to the windshields, they don't do those themselves!
The dealer we normally use for repairs (closer, smaller, easier to deal with shop-wise) has no collision repair provisions - it's all farmed out.
It's very expensive to maintain collision repair. Most dealers would rather let dedicated shops do that. They'd just not be able to keep going doing only vehicles like they sell. Not cost effective.
Makes sense. Quote for repair without them even looking at it comes in just shy of $13k. But that's for basically a frame and a bumper, bags, and seat belts. I think they are going to find a lot more when it gets put on a lift.

OP
OP
pacificoflyr

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Sorry to revive this classic, but just thought I would let everyone know they totaled the truck (est. $23.5k to fix) and towed it away. Took a month to negotiate up on price as they started very low.

I was able to remove a bunch of the stuff which was good. Just picked up a new Rubicon Gladiator and I am stoked! Thanks all for the support and help!