Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to out engineer Jeep. My understanding of payload was GVWR less curb weight. Thank you for pointing out this is not correct. I don’t see payload on my door jam sticker and that’s the number I’m trying to determine. My understanding was that it was 5800-4650=1150. You’re saying it’s not that simple. Do you think it could be the 1700 listed on the spec sheet? That is a substantial difference. I’m not comfortable going with that payload rating unless it’s confirmed.
Payload number is on the door frame sticker. Towing capacity is not.
You can look for payload on the stick - mine is something just under 1,100 pounds as I recall.
I've done the math using truck weight differences compared to some of the other versions of the JT and it always comes out off by a fair amount.
What your sticker says is your payload based on the FACTORY CURB WEIGHT. Now if you put on a steel bumper, skid plates, anything that adds weight to the truck, you need to subtract that. So if you have bed rail system - subtract that. Steel rear bumper - subtract that, from your factory curb weight.
Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Payload number is on the door frame sticker. Towing capacity is not.
You can look for payload on the stick - mine is something just under 1,100 pounds as I recall.
I've done the math using truck weight differences compared to some of the other versions of the JT and it always comes out off by a fair amount.
What your sticker says is your payload based on the FACTORY CURB WEIGHT. Now if you put on a steel bumper, skid plates, anything that adds weight to the truck, you need to subtract that. So if you have bed rail system - subtract that. Steel rear bumper - subtract that, from your factory curb weight.
Can you point out to me which number is payload? I don’t see it.
Jeep Gladiator GVWR 3E533D1E-82C4-4ADA-A462-F2DD394FDED4

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you point out to me which number is payload? I don’t see it.
Jeep Gladiator GVWR 3E533D1E-82C4-4ADA-A462-F2DD394FDED4
Found it on the other sticker. Thank you. I knew it couldn’t be 1700.
Jeep Gladiator GVWR BD537539-940F-43AF-BDA3-F4A5476E3478

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found it on the other sticker. Thank you. I knew it couldn’t be 1700.
Jeep Gladiator GVWR BD537539-940F-43AF-BDA3-F4A5476E3478
Makes me wonder what sport model 6MT has 1700 payload like that spec sheet says. I’d be interested in upgrading to that. Tow capacity isn’t as important for my needs.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
It is on the white (with orange top bar) door sticker, across the top listed as, Tire and Loading Info…. See photo below cargo and passenger weight (circled in Red):

1AD2ADDA-5968-41FB-B81F-DC42384557CA.jpeg

Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is on the white (with orange top bar) door sticker, across the top listed as, Tire and Loading Info…. See photo below cargo and passenger weight (circled in Red):

Jeep Gladiator GVWR 1AD2ADDA-5968-41FB-B81F-DC42384557CA
Thanks. If I had to guess I’m thinking the base sport 6MT has the 1700 payload.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
2021 JTR diesel. 35's, topper, roof top tent, full bed slide, loaded for extended overland trip with supplies for 2 weeks it weighs in at 7580 on the CAT scales at the Flying J.

I think the 1st 2 pics were taken in NM, the last was at the top/end of Monument Ridge Badge of Honor trail in WY.
Jeep Gladiator GVWR 20210714_161533
Jeep Gladiator GVWR 20210714_161621
Jeep Gladiator GVWR 20210522_122844

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, like almost 2,000 lbs overloaded. It is surprising how many people think GVWR and Cargo limits are only guidelines, or they do not understand cargo is passengers and accessories you add to the vehicle, not just the stuff you put into the truck bed. Once this guy gets into an accident and his insurance company refuses to pay off, because he exceed his vehicl’s max weight rating he might figure it out…
cheers

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
2021 JTR diesel. 35's, topper, roof top tent, full bed slide, loaded for extended overland trip with supplies for 2 weeks it weighs in at 7580 on the CAT scales at the Flying J.

I think the 1st 2 pics were taken in NM, the last was at the top/end of Monument Ridge Badge of Honor trail in WY.
20210714_161533.jpg
20210714_161621.jpg
20210522_122844.jpg
The GVWR on my 2021 EcoDiesel Rubicon is 6450 so that puts you 1,130 lbs. over. Nothing shocking that I have not seen before on other builds. "E" rated tires, improvements on springs, shocks, add airbags, steering, and sway bar will improve your driving dynamics. I believe the weak link is the suspension to give these vehicles articulation and a comfortable ride. The axles are rated at around 4,000 lbs. each, and they have a buffer, so you are not over stressing these axles.

If you keep the center of gravity in the middle and most of the weight low, it should still drive well and be very safe down the road. No, you can't swerve or stop as quickly to miss something without noticing the added weight so drive accordingly. If it feels unsafe to drive then it is.

Everyone is so quick to call you out on being overweight. Just look at all the vehicles on the road, most everyone is hauling more than the stickers on the door jambs. A lot more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone is so quick to call you out on being overweight. Just look at all the vehicles on the road, most everyone is hauling more than the stickers on the door jambs. A lot more.
And as the Iowa DOT officer so kindly pointed out - see you in court in case of an accident, etc. So it's whatever the driver is willing to accept as risk - but is also accepting the risk for others on the road as well.

So we should all do whatever all of the other fools on the highway are doing- it's ok because "everyone else is doing it" (fun to explain when your 8 year old comes to you and says "but Dad, all of the other kids are doing it")

These are tested and labeled according to engineers and testing.
Apparently people on the internet are smarter. So much for that 4 year engineering degree!

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that was my original point, and as mentioned, overloading the vehicle reduces its driving dynamics, and increases the chance of an accident. That said, it is up to each truck or jeep owner as to how they want to kit out their vehicle. Personall, I am with you ShadowsPapa, and I lean towards the side of caution, and keep my cargo and GVWR with the JT’s specs.
cheers

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
And as the Iowa DOT officer so kindly pointed out - see you in court in case of an accident, etc. So it's whatever the driver is willing to accept as risk - but is also accepting the risk for others on the road as well.

So we should all do whatever all of the other fools on the highway are doing- it's ok because "everyone else is doing it" (fun to explain when your 8 year old comes to you and says "but Dad, all of the other kids are doing it")

These are tested and labeled according to engineers and testing.
Apparently people on the internet are smarter. So much for that 4 year engineering degree!
I do believe it is engineered for a bit more.

who ever sets the parameters is what ultimately decides the ratings.

I read that Australia JT’s are rated more for the same thing here in the U.S.

different government standards.

Edit: Aussie Rubicon is 1,527lbs payload

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Yes, like almost 2,000 lbs overloaded. It is surprising how many people think GVWR and Cargo limits are only guidelines, or they do not understand cargo is passengers and accessories you add to the vehicle, not just the stuff you put into the truck bed. Once this guy gets into an accident and his insurance company refuses to pay off, because he exceed his vehicl’s max weight rating he might figure it out…
cheers
can you show me in your auto policy where this would be excluded?
I’ve read my conditions, limitations, and exclusions, and there is nothing about being overloaded.

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yes, they all include an allowance in the ratings due to the fact that most idiot humans will load up to that rating (or above) then drive like a human. I am not a mechanical engineer, but a civil. And yes, we supplement safety margins for the unidentified exposure and liability it brings in our design.

I do not condone being over the GVWR on any vehicle.
Sponsored