Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just for kicks and giggles, I drove my JLU Sport S across the Cat scale at the local truck stop yesterday on the way to the dealership to turn it in for the JT Sport S. I subtracted 320 lbs. for myself, my son, and the small amount of cargo on board which fit in a small box.

JLU Sport S - hardtop, auto, tech package = 4,200 lbs.

JT Sport S - hardtop, auto, tech package, premium audio, max towing = 4,700 lbs.

So, the listed curb weight for JT models seems to be pretty much right on the money.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
I've seen auto Rubicon JT's on the lot with GVWR of 6250.

Are manuals likely to have a different GVWR? (I know towing capacity is less, but what about GVWR?)

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
is there any difference between the sport base and sport s in manual transmission? that table only lists sport

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This is from my Overland. It came equipped with every option except for the tonneau cover, which the dealer added.
20190825_151455.jpg
20190825_151451.jpg

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Totally settled now... I need a GVWR of 6001+ to allow me to write it off as a business expense 100%.
Gladiator was what I wanted but now it's what I need.

Motormatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales
The Max Tow also gives you a limited slip differential. That is why you canā€™t get Max Tow on a Rubicon, because you donā€™t need it with the lockers.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
The rear Axle, Springs, rear shocks on the Sport S and Spoet S max tow are different, as is the axle/rear brakes and gear ratio (4:10 On Max Tow), all of which add to increased towing capacity. The Axles and springs/shocks add increased cargo capacity/ tongue weight rating. I do not need the increased towning capacity, so adding the max tow springs/shocks to slightly increase tongue weight capacity and to improve trailer handling with tongue weights greater than 450 lbs. I already have the limited slip diff On my Sport S,, so good to go there.
cheers

Last edited:

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Iā€™m trying to figure this out. I have a Willys Sport. The GVWR per my door tag is 5800. Curb weight is 4650, I have the 6MT. So my payload is 1150. However, I pulled this same spec sheet updated for 2021 Gladiators. Iā€™m assuming the sport models they are referencing here must be max tows. But can you get max tow in a manual? Itā€™s says the payload is 1700 for a sport 6MT. That means the GVWR would be 6350. Would someone help me with this math? šŸ¤£
Jeep Gladiator GVWR 72659B17-F0A2-4213-948A-80957EFB0205

Link to the full 2021 spec sheet

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Each model of the Gladiator has a different max weight rating, depending on the suspension and axles used. Auto vs manual tranny changes the max tow rating, but not cargo. Your door sticker shows the ratings for your truck, and this is what you use to determine your max cargo, which includes any passengers or gear onboard (plus any non factory extra options that you add). I read somewhere that a 200 lbs allowance for the driver is factored into the cargo rating on the door sticker. GCWR (GVWR) less actual vehicle weight equals your cargo capacity, including driver, passengers, truck cargo and tongue weight of a trailer (if connected).
cheers

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Each model of the Gladiator has a different max weight rating, depending on the suspension and axles used. Auto vs manual tranny chsnges the max tow rating, but not cargo. Yiur door sticker shows the ratings for your truck, and this is what you use to determine yiur max cargo, which includes any passengers or gear onboard. I read somewhere that a 200 lbs allowance for the driver is factored into the cargo rating on the door sticker. GCWR (GVWR) less actual vehicle weight equals your cargo capacity, including driver, passengers, truck cargo and tongue weight of a trailer (if connected).
cheers
150 for driver. Stupid because not too many buyers can weigh in at only 150 these days. 200 I would bet is a lot closer.
It's based on your options as well. They take a base version and use that number minus things they have installed that add weight.
Yeah, transmission type will help determine towing because you are pulling - the clutch has to drag that extra thing behind the truck. Payload is impacted somewhat but not as much as towing.
Iā€™m trying to figure this out. I have a Willys Sport. The GVWR per my door tag is 5800. Curb weight is 4650, I have the 6MT. So my payload is 1150. However, I pulled this same spec sheet updated for 2021 Gladiators. Iā€™m assuming the sport models they are referencing here must be max tows. But can you get max tow in a manual? Itā€™s says the payload is 1700 for a sport 6MT. That means the GVWR would be 6350. Would someone help me with this math? šŸ¤£
Jeep Gladiator GVWR 72659B17-F0A2-4213-948A-80957EFB0205

Link to the full 2021 spec sheet

Payload and towing are based on a whole lot more than the simple math of GVWR minus curb weight of the truck. It's not that simple. People like to think it's only axles and springs but it's not.
It's performance in emergency maneuvers and other factors. So math - pure math, won't get you there. Go by the sticker and please don't try to out-engineer what JEep engineers have already designed and track and road tested according to SAE criteria. You'll go crazy trying to do the math and then say "Jeep was wrong!". They were not. Anyone trying to out-think that sticker is going to be, though.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
150 for driver. Stupid because not too many buyers can weigh in at only 150 these days. 200 I would bet is a lot closer.
It's based on your options as well. They take a base version and use that number minus things they have installed that add weight.
Yeah, transmission type will help determine towing because you are pulling - the clutch has to drag that extra thing behind the truck. Payload is impacted somewhat but not as much as towing.

Payload and towing are based on a whole lot more than the simple math of GVWR minus curb weight of the truck. It's not that simple. People like to think it's only axles and springs but it's not.
It's performance in emergency maneuvers and other factors. So math - pure math, won't get you there. Go by the sticker and please don't try to out-engineer what JEep engineers have already designed and track and road tested according to SAE criteria. You'll go crazy trying to do the math and then say "Jeep was wrong!". They were not. Anyone trying to out-think that sticker is going to be, though.
Spot on. Itā€™s rated based on requirements here in the US.

Itā€™s why my WJ had a higher tow rating in Europe and why Iā€™ve read the payload of a JT in Australia is higher than here in the states.
1,500lbs in Australia.

AE6C6E88-65E5-457D-8AE0-F12C418B2DD4.jpeg

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tow ratings are complicated, and based on normal towing practices in the different countritā€™s. Here is North America, we tow heavier loads with 15-20% of the trailer weight on the tongue. We also tow faster on the average, 55-65 mph. Towing dynamics are complicated. Higher towing speeds require heavier tongue weights, which require vehicles with the required cargo capacity to handle the tongue weight.

In Europe, towing speeds are much slower (45-50mph), so the average EU trailers, especially RVs have a different dynamic, with less tongue weight, and more of the trailer weight centered on its own axle/axles, so the same vehicle in Europe can safely tow a heavier trailer. Comparing towing here in North America to Europe or UK is an ā€œapples to orangesā€ comparison.
cheers

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Not trying to out engineer Jeep. My understanding of payload was GVWR less curb weight. Thank you for pointing out this is not correct. I donā€™t see payload on my door jam sticker and thatā€™s the number Iā€™m trying to determine. My understanding was that it was 5800-4650=1150. Youā€™re saying itā€™s not that simple. Do you think it could be the 1700 listed on the spec sheet? That is a substantial difference. Iā€™m not comfortable going with that payload rating unless itā€™s confirmed.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tow ratings are complicated, and based on normal towing practices in the different countritā€™s. Here is North America, we tow heavier loads with 15-20% of the trailer weight on the tongue. We also tow faster on the average, 55-65 mph. Towing dynamics are complicated. Higher towing speeds require heavier tongue weights, which require vehicles with the required cargo capacity to handle the tongue weight.

In Europe, towing speeds are much slower (45-50mph), so the average EU trailers, especially RVs have a different dynamic, with less tongue weight, and more of the trailer weight centered on its own axle/axles, so the same vehicle in Europe can safely tow a heavier trailer. Comparing towing here in North America to Europe or UK is an ā€œapples to orangesā€ comparison.
cheers
Thanks for the info. Itā€™s clear to me that my modelā€™s towing capacity is 4000. Iā€™m trying to confirm payload.
Sponsored