Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
Happy Labor All!

Undercarriage protection underway. I used Rubicon Express transfer case steel skid and Asfir 4x4 engine/transmission aluminum skid. Let me just say, what a difference between the 3/16" steel and 1/4" aluminum regarding weight. If Asfir made a transfer case skid that covered as much as the Rubicon Express, I would have gotten that.

I took the factory transmission bar out because I have seen how mangled they get. Not sure if I will need it or not. The Asfir instructions showed to reuse it. Maybe I'll fabricate something later. Might get Asfir gas tank skid next.

Rubicon Express skid from Northridge 4x4. Fast shipping. It was like 2-3 days. Box was beat up and the paint was chipped on the skid. Touched that up before installing. The Asfir part came in about 2 weeks. Comes from Israel.

Pictures, enjoy :)

Front view of Asfir engine/transmission skid
Jeep Gladiator Happy Labor day - Weekend project "Skid Plates" IMG_20200906_141501 (Custom)

Trimmed about a 1/4" off both side just under the exhaust. I wanted to make sure I had wiggle room. Driver side.
Jeep Gladiator Happy Labor day - Weekend project "Skid Plates" IMG_20200906_141524 (Custom)

I really didn't have to trim passenger side, but I did anyways. Passenger side
Jeep Gladiator Happy Labor day - Weekend project "Skid Plates" IMG_20200906_141620 (Custom)

The Asfir skid was about 3/4" to 1" to long when trying to mate the two brands together. The Rubicon Express has a nice lip so there trans skid would mount flush. So I trimmed it. Nice flush mounted now.
Jeep Gladiator Happy Labor day - Weekend project "Skid Plates" IMG_20200906_141633 (Custom)

Better angle.
Jeep Gladiator Happy Labor day - Weekend project "Skid Plates" IMG_20200906_141544 (Custom)

Jeep Gladiator Happy Labor day - Weekend project "Skid Plates" IMG_20200906_141529 (Custom)

Scrap pieces
Jeep Gladiator Happy Labor day - Weekend project "Skid Plates" IMG_20200906_141930 (Custom)
Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Forgive my ignorance but is there a reason you mixed mfgs rather than use all RE or Asfir?

Thanks

OP
OP
Rubiwoo

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
Nice! Forgive my ignorance but is there a reason you mixed mfgs rather than use all RE or Asfir?

Thanks
Asfir doesn't have a transfer case skid that covers from frame rail to frame rail. It only has a small bolt on that attaches to the oem protector. If they made one that covered the entire area I would have.

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha. Thanks for the response

OP
OP
Rubiwoo

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
From Asfir 4x4:
"We design and manufacture our Transfer as we do for two main reasons –
(1) JEEP's original plate is pretty solid to begin with, we used it and added on an equal sized aluminum plate that strengthen the original one but also creates a solid continuity with our other plates. It most definitely gives maximum protection to the transfer.
(2) In general, our approach is to provide maximum protection to the vulnerable parts in minimum weight and cost. It's a delicate balance and we try our best to keep it right.
We believe that there's no real-need for a "rail-to-rail" protection in this case as it doesn't give extra protection and rather cause over-heating and for rocks etc. to pile up there. It also adds on unnecessary weight and cost.

all the best! and thanks again! we appreciate it very much!"

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubiwoo

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
My reply to them:
That makes sense.

One of the biggest complaints about the oem protection is they get damaged where they mount to the frame and catch on things. See this video around 1:36:

The Rubicon Express added reliefs for the dirt and debris to better escape.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I took the factory transmission bar out because I have seen how mangled they get. Not sure if I will need it or not. The Asfir instructions showed to reuse it. Maybe I'll fabricate something later.
I just installed mine today and kept the cross bar. I might cut off the short piece that runs from the cross bar towards to rear of the truck So I can get the skid plate mounted up higher, 1/4” or so.

I read on the JL forum about someone’s experience with a different skid plate, where he landed on a boulder and the skid plate caved in and actually caused damage to the exhaust pipe where it crosses the skid plate. I know you created more room, but with no support in the center, that likely only makes the skid plate weaker and more prone to caving in, potentially biting into the exhaust pipe. I would recommend reinstalling the cross bar or fabricating something up now if you haven’t already. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Rubiwoo

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
I just installed mine today and kept the cross bar. I might cut off the short piece that runs from the cross bar towards to rear of the truck So I can get the skid plate mounted up higher, 1/4” or so.

I read on the JL forum about someone’s experience with a different skid plate, where he landed on a boulder and the skid plate caved in and actually caused damage to the exhaust pipe where it crosses the skid plate. I know you created more room, but with no support in the center, that likely only makes the skid plate weaker and more prone to caving in, potentially biting into the exhaust pipe. I would recommend reinstalling the cross bar or fabricating something up now if you haven’t already. Just my two cents.
I might have go revisit that. I noticed other skids don't utilize it.
Sponsored