Sponsored

Has anyone disconnected the auto start stop on their Gladiator?

vettred84

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jt, corvette, cobalt ss, nissan altima,
Occupation
electrician
if you think its a good idea to shut your engine off to save gas then you should not have purchased a vehicle that gets lousy gas mileage to begin with! just my opinion.
Sponsored

CompanyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
Turning it off was one of the first things I did after installing the Tazer Mini.

Jeep Gladiator Has anyone disconnected the auto start stop on their Gladiator? 1644153116011

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
I'm not a fan of the ESS. I bought one of these. Automatically recalls last setting. Use F150FORUM for a coupon code. ;)

Sponsored

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired
Its a little amusing to me, watching everyone get super upset about this. On my wife's Compass, the Stop/Start is a LOT worse than the Gladiator (when it actually stops), the Compass has a noticeable 2-3 second pause, AND right after we initially got her car, it actually STOPPED restarting.. so when I found out the Gladiator had it, I was actually annoyed. However, after driving it for a bit, it didn't bother me nearly as much as the wife's car.

That said, I've actually been looking into why my Auto-stop/start has actually STOPPED working, here. When we first got the JT, it was constantly turning on and off at stoplights.. now... it just stays running. No warning lights, no Tazer, nothing to disable it on my end. *shrug*

~ Casp
This has been my experience too. The ESS just quit working. I did nothing to cause this and I’m not complaining.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've got the OBD JScan app and OBDLink MX+. I see there is an ESS section in the menu and one option is auto stop/start - on/off. Going into this menu I see an option for "hood ajar switch input present". I just disabled that and will see if the ESS is disabled tomorrow on my next drive. I hope so, its really annoying to me.
Update: I drove around this morning and the auto stop/start never engaged, looks like the OBD JScan can take care of this. I scrolled through the settings on the dash display and status for the auto stop/start just says its not ready.
This method worked on my 2021 JTR with OBDLink LX and JScan app. After connecting the security cable and JScan app, select Adaptation>Auto Stop/Start (ESS) - settings>Auto Stop/Start - On/Off (Hood Ajar Switch Input Present) and set the value to Deactivated. That effectively disables Auto Start/Stop and there are no dash lights present. Pushing the button on/off does nothing.

EDIT: When testing after performing the above, the ESS did not auto-stop the engine, however the next day it started working again. I confirmed the value set above was still "disabled". I also can confirm that with it disabled, remote start is also disabled. I have now reversed what I did and set the value to "active". Back to square one. I'm ordering the AutoStop Eliminator.
Sponsored

Last edited: