Sponsored

Has anyone disconnected the auto start stop on their Gladiator?

Gladrubi20

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering why my tazer disables ESS and auto park but people on this thread say the tazer no longer can do so. My gladiator was just at dealer, software is current and tazer is only a month old.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Wondering why my tazer disables ESS and auto park but people on this thread say the tazer no longer can do so. My gladiator was just at dealer, software is current and tazer is only a month old.
Auto park, is when you open your and try driving, the brakes will engage. Tazer hasn't fixed that.
About the ess, I'm too busy texting and driving to worry about it...

Last edited:

FreshRust

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep XJ
While my JT is an automatic almost all of my Jeeps we're manual. So having the engine shut off at every stop gives me the I just stalled it out jitters. That and I really hate having the AC get warmer and warmer and warmer until it decides to kick back on.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It is the wording being used. The ESS system can be stopped from engaging using different methods, but it cannot be disabled or permanently shut off. The Tazer prevents ESS from engaging by remembering what position you left the button in. Factory setup turns ESS on every time the vehicle is started. As per the government mandated rules, Jeep cannot provide a method to keep it turned off or to disable the ESS system. All they are allowed is a temporary method that resets every time the vehicle is started.

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Gladrubi20

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Auto park, is when you open your and try driving, the brakes will engage. Tazer hasn't fixed that.
About the ess, I'm too busy texting and driving to worry about it...
I’m so confused... I can open drivers door while moving, leave door open and switch from reverse to drive, auto park never engages like it did before I installed the Tazer a few months ago. Why are you saying Tazer can’t do this ?!?!

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I've got the OBD JScan app and OBDLink MX+. I see there is an ESS section in the menu and one option is auto stop/start - on/off. Going into this menu I see an option for "hood ajar switch input present". I just disabled that and will see if the ESS is disabled tomorrow on my next drive. I hope so, its really annoying to me.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I've got the OBD JScan app and OBDLink MX+. I see there is an ESS section in the menu and one option is auto stop/start - on/off. Going into this menu I see an option for "hood ajar switch input present". I just disabled that and will see if the ESS is disabled tomorrow on my next drive. I hope so, its really annoying to me.
Update: I drove around this morning and the auto stop/start never engaged, looks like the OBD JScan can take care of this. I scrolled through the settings on the dash display and status for the auto stop/start just says its not ready.

Shaqeroni

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator & 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler
Occupation
Retired LEO
9 of 10 times I can avoid shutdown by using light brake pressure, definitely takes a little practice.
Does it take more work to devise a stopping strategy and maintain light brake pressure at a stop than just reaching up to hit the button? I mean it's cool you figured that out...truly...but to expect people to learn this technique instead of pushing the button is asking a lot! XD

Shaqeroni

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator & 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler
Occupation
Retired LEO
Why? I just can't figure out for the life of me why anyone likes their wallet getting thinner and thinner as your engine idles away precious fuel as useless fumes at $3.50 a gallon while you're just sitting there motionless.
Another clever way to disable the ESS is stay in an area where you keep your JT in 4LO, that always keeps me happier anyway.
Personally, I'm quite fond of money saving feature$ that don't affect power & performance.

Once again, This is just my opinion.
I'm a fan of saving fuel but you know and I know brother that we let our cruisers idle all day long sometimes. ALL DAY LONG. However, regarding ESS...I believe ESS is an annoyance to some people because of the lack of percieved control. They didn't want it, Jeep won't offer a fix for those who don't want it, and to "fix" it people have to either spend money or live with an idiot light on their dash illuminated. That aspect is annoying. Never mind the wear and tear on the starter, etc. every time it starts. #WEDIDNTASKFORESS ... Just my 1 1/2 cents.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Jeep won't offer a fix for those who don't want it, and to "fix" it people have to either spend money or live with an idiot light on their dash illuminated. That aspect is annoying. Never mind the wear and tear on the starter, etc. every time it starts. #WEDIDNTASKFORESS ... Just my 1 1/2 cents.
Jeep CANNOT offer a fix, or it will impact the EPA mpg rating. If they allow it to be permanently disabled, they have to average the mpg rating of both systems. That is why you can't turn it off permanently without aftermarket support. The starter and everything down the system is designed with auto start-stop in mind. How often do we here about starter failures these days? Now these secondary batteries, admittedly, that's another story, but hopefully just a bad batch.
Some light reading:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

"But if a vehicle’s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicle’s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when it’s off. The EPA then averages the two tests for a resulting fuel-economy rating found on the car’s window sticker—which is certain to be lower"

Last edited:

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Why? I just can't figure out for the life of me why anyone likes their wallet getting thinner and thinner as your engine idles away precious fuel as useless fumes at $3.50 a gallon while you're just sitting there motionless.
Another clever way to disable the ESS is stay in an area where you keep your JT in 4LO, that always keeps me happier anyway.
Personally, I'm quite fond of money saving feature$ that don't affect power & performance.

Once again, This is just my opinion.
I find it hard to believe that the engine going on and off while I wait and creep at a long traffic light is somehow good for anything...including engine/starter component wear and my wallet.

That and less than 2 years in...ive already had to deal with battery issues related to the ESS battery.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I find it hard to believe that the engine going on and off while I wait and creep at a long traffic light is somehow good for anything...including engine/starter component wear and my wallet.

That and less than 2 years in...ive already had to deal with battery issues related to the ESS battery.
I've had "0" battery issues, now on 2.5 years of ownership, and 28,000 of only trailer pulling and trails. I don't use my JT as a daily driver, no reason to. This alone has saved a lot of $'s, in fuel and maintenance. Sorry to hear about the battery problems. Was it both batteries? or one more than the other? I guess I could test mine, so I don't run into problems on the trails, or remote camping. I look forward to hearing from you. PM if you like.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've had "0" battery issues, now on 2.5 years of ownership, and 28,000 of only trailer pulling and trails. I don't use my JT as a daily driver, no reason to. This alone has saved a lot of $'s, in fuel and maintenance. Sorry to hear about the battery problems. Was it both batteries? or one more than the other? I guess I could test mine, so I don't run into problems on the trails, or remote camping. I look forward to hearing from you. PM if you like.
Well...first the ESS stopped working....and the instrument cluster would show "Auto Start/Stop disabled...battery charging"...but would never change even after hours of driving...then eventually when I started the vehicles the cluster would show something about "Aux switch disabled...battery charging"...that would go away after a few minutes and the switches worked....but the ESS never worked.

Took the dealer and while they claimed the main battery was bad...they replaced both....so not sure really. He did say....electrical problems "related" to the "dual battery" is one of the most common issues they see.

Oh and mine is daily driver...with alot of "rapid" stop and go traffic. While i suppose ESS would be beneficial in traffic where you are dead stop for long time ...when its go stop go stop go stop go stop its not...especially when the timiing is such that the ESS engages at every stop...because then its on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off....that cant be good.

Luckily in Florida....80% of the year...ESS never engages because AC is on MAX. :)

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a fan of saving fuel but you know and I know brother that we let our cruisers idle all day long sometimes. ALL DAY LONG. However, regarding ESS...I believe ESS is an annoyance to some people because of the lack of percieved control. They didn't want it, Jeep won't offer a fix for those who don't want it, and to "fix" it people have to either spend money or live with an idiot light on their dash illuminated. That aspect is annoying. Never mind the wear and tear on the starter, etc. every time it starts. #WEDIDNTASKFORESS ... Just my 1 1/2 cents.
You speak a lot of truth on the "I'm not used to it, it's different, I'm not in control" issues. I'm very lucky, as I was and am, very used to driving our Lexus hybrid, and was already used to the start/stop feature. so I literally felt right at home, hearing the engine stop and start. It was very normal to me, so I embraced the technology as a step forward, even if it really doesn't save that much. Since most of my driving is on the highway, pulling my trailer, or in 4 lo, I don't really reap the benefits of that particular feature very much. Its not a DD, so I really don't pay attention to it anymore. I do notice it when I'm out in the evenings, while camping, and we are out searching for animals. When we find some in a meadow, and I stop, I do love how tactical ESS is. Its silent, and I love that.
Sponsored