Sponsored

Help from Gladiator owners with Jeep/Mopar Brand Slush Mats installed at dealer - Drain Hole??

badwolfe

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
I.T. Manager
I purchased a new 2021 Gladiator about a week ago. It was a demo unit with about 2k miles. Willys edition with Jeep/Mopar slush mats. Yesterday I noticed the slush mats have a drain hole in them but no plug. I contacted salesperson and they called me back and indicated that I needed to pull up the carpet, remove the drain plug from the floor pan and use that for the slush mats. He said that not everyone purchased the floor mats. The implication is that the floor mats don't come with a plug. That does not seem right to me. If I remove the plug from the floor pan - I now have an opening that water, etc. can come into the cabin and get under the carpet. If I don't have a plug in the slush mat - it's not really an effective slush mat. Can you guys with the slush mats tell me how yours was from the dealer??? TIA
Sponsored

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd.
I have the Mopar floor mats in both my Jeeps. They do not come with the plug. You take out the little carpet tab and pull the plug and then the floor mat goes down and press into the floor pan. Then you put the plug into the floor mat. It all seals up and you won't get water in your floor boards. A simple install. You can find videos on You Tube on how to do it.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
What has been said is correct if you notice the mats donā€™t sit flush unless you do that or you can buy plugs online for about $5

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
I was thinking the same thing. When I picked my truck up, I looked down and saw the ground, didn't seem right. Found the pugs and covered the holes, but thought- what keeps the water from splashing up through the hole and getting trapped between the mat and the floorboard?

If you look closely at the mat/hole you'll see the mat has a "funnel" that extends down through the carpet and floorboard. It's supposed to seal the hole in the floorboard and keep the crud from getting to the carpet

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer is correct: you do not get a grommet with the mats; you are supposed to re-use the grommet plugging the drain hole on the floor pan.

The mat install calls for the following steps:
  1. Lift the carpeting
  2. Remove the grommet from the drain hole on the floor pan
  3. Cut out a hole in the carpeting
  4. Install the mat making sure the cutout seals the drain hole ā€”this is a key step to prevent unwanted dirt, grime and water to get into the cabin through the open drain hole and to collect under the carpeting
  5. Place the grommet on the mat to cover the drain hole
Having said that all that, I left the grommet plugging the drain hole on the floor.

OP
OP

badwolfe

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
I.T. Manager
I have the Mopar floor mats in both my Jeeps. They do not come with the plug. You take out the little carpet tab and pull the plug and then the floor mat goes down and press into the floor pan. Then you put the plug into the floor mat. It all seals up and you won't get water in your floor boards. A simple install. You can find videos on You Tube on how to do it.
Thanks - I feel better - I traded my 2009 Rubicon and it did not have the mopar mats so I wanted to make sure!

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I put the plugs from the floor on the slush mats. Without the plugs, the slush mats just let the water run right into the carpet as the relief pattern channel liquids into the drain hole.

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
My dealer made no mention of any of this, thanks for all the info - going to cut some rug and plug some holes now šŸ˜‚

FE6688D1-32C6-4B2D-B818-4825E4672131.jpeg

rymac986

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
My dealer made no mention of any of this, thanks for all the info - going to cut some rug and plug some holes now šŸ˜‚
Neither did mine - great info on this forum! My carpet was precut. I left it attached on one side and just folded it over just in case I ever change mats. Youā€™ll feel the mat ā€˜popā€™ into the sheet metal and youā€™ll know itā€™s sealed.

Jeep Gladiator Help from Gladiator owners with Jeep/Mopar Brand Slush Mats installed at dealer - Drain Hole?? EDF441F1-D318-432F-8456-37DBBD21BD4B
Jeep Gladiator Help from Gladiator owners with Jeep/Mopar Brand Slush Mats installed at dealer - Drain Hole?? C7D4F841-4BC9-405C-AA05-2BC2B9A44EA2

Sponsored

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
Neither did mine - great info on this forum! My carpet was precut. I left it attached on one side and just folded it over just in case I ever change mats. Youā€™ll feel the mat ā€˜popā€™ into the sheet metal and youā€™ll know itā€™s sealed.

Jeep Gladiator Help from Gladiator owners with Jeep/Mopar Brand Slush Mats installed at dealer - Drain Hole?? C7D4F841-4BC9-405C-AA05-2BC2B9A44EA2
I was able to pop the driver side plug in, but couldnā€™t get the passenger side seated properly.. anyone else have a fitment issue with these? Would rather not go to the dealer for something so simple.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
I was able to pop the driver side plug in, but couldnā€™t get the passenger side seated properly.. anyone else have a fitment issue with these? Would rather not go to the dealer for something so simple.
I just used my heel and it popped in

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
Any idea why there are no rear drain holes in the Gladiator?
Sponsored