Sponsored

Highly Customized Gladiator Rubicon "Launch Edition" - Worth $120K?

Harkinma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Launch Edition
Occupation
Business Owner
A friend of mine asked for my help selling his 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon "Launch Edition". He custom-designed it for a client who couldn't take it because of COVID-19. He's asking my advice on how he should price it. I've seen prices anywhere from $90K-$120K. He even put together a video on it. But I'm not sure what to tell him. It looks (and rides) amazing but I'm recommending under $100K since it has 3600 miles on it. What do you think is a realistic price for something like this?

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Stock Axles? Stock engine? He'll never get anywhere near 6 figures if those are stock. From what I can see in the video, maybe $75k with 3600 miles on it.

OP
OP

Harkinma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I asked him - it is stock axles and engine. The difference is the "Launch Edition" - only 4190 were made - plus all his custom-work as part of team Jeepology. Do you still think $75K? Honest question. He's got more details here.

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/2020/jeep/gladiator/2269744
There have been plenty of launch editions that have sold well under MSRP. They were nothing more than a loaded Rubicon. That adds little to no value. I see about $10-15k in aftermarket parts on there (that's including the wheels and tires). None of them are custom or involve any custom fabrication. Rule of thumb is that you never get even close to what you paid for out of them. Best case, I think he gets $70-75k.

Sponsored

nates91xj

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Take a look at a couple sites to see what is out there and what they are selling for. I just did a quick national search on cargurus and there are a handful of Launch Editions, all with low miles. The cheapest one I saw is listed at $49,990, most expensive is $56,895 with 1,694 miles. They are all stock, but most of the high dollar Gladiators on there whether they are built or not have been sitting for a long time. It's a weird used car market right now with everything going on...

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Problem is, the "Launch Edition" is selling on pure speculation right now.

In 20 years, it MIGHT be worth something.

Some people want the first release of a new model. Most don't. The market is small for "Launch Edition" and then the vehicle is not factory stock.

If he wants to move it, he's going to have to eat most of the MOD money spent on it.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Totally right on this. I have an OG Audi TT roadster. First one delivered to Chicago. 75K on it right now. Custom ordered black baseball mitt leather seats. I have literally every scrap of paper on it. Window sticker, every bit of work done to it. It's just an old car. Not worth spit. More of a sentimental thing than anything. Only cars I ever made money on were my classics. The 51 chevy and the 53 buick both went up. Still kicking myself about not grabbing a 67 Porsche 912 for pennies. It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

The used car market is taking a beating right now. I had a hell of a time getting them to take my 2018 Subaru in trade. Even then they gave me less than what KBB dictates.

He could price it higher....and sit on it...for a long time or price it to move and get out of it.

Problem is, the "Launch Edition" is selling on pure speculation right now.

In 20 years, it MIGHT be worth something.

Some people want the first release of a new model. Most don't. The market is small for "Launch Edition" and then the vehicle is not factory stock.

If he wants to move it, he's going to have to eat most of the MOD money spent on it.

OP
OP

Harkinma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
Wow - you guys are great! I think you're right about the used car market being really slow. Alot of uncertainty out there, which makes it chancy buying a high-end of anything (boat, car, house, etc.) What about other websites that he could post on (other than the duPont Registry below). Think he would have better luck?

Thanks again!

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Wow - you guys are great! I think you're right about the used car market being really slow. Alot of uncertainty out there, which makes it chancy buying a high-end of anything (boat, car, house, etc.) What about other websites that he could post on (other than the duPont Registry below). Think he would have better luck?

Thanks again!
Can't go wrong with AutoTrader IMO. Sold my last car in a week on there.

nates91xj

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon

Thanks again!
You could also look into having a local dealer or auto broker do a consignment for him, I have sold a number of vehicles that way. Typically they will post it for sale on all the usual car sales sites and deal with showing the vehicle, setting up financing for the new buyer (if needed) etc.

Just a thought

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted.. I have silver launch edition that I could mod out some more to match and sell if he gets $100k. Then I could buy a mohave and hemi swap and still come out ahead...

Biscodave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gator bone stock
only people commanding 3 figures are
custom built rebel off road, Hauk Designs, Genright and maybe 1-2 more.

My local dealer sells Hauk off-road gladiators that have all his parts installed and 37-40’s. Those are 75-80k brand new for a comparison.

With that said it’s always worth what someone is willing to pay. So honestly I’m guessing you could find someone crazy enough to pay $70-75k. I personally wouldn’t spend anywhere close to that for it. Considering it still has factory fenders, axles, heck a fancied up factory bumper isn’t that exciting. The launch edition only matters to gladiator owners. I’ve never seen any one else even remotely mention it.
Not trying to poo poo your thoughts. Just my .02 cents

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
To be honest no jeep enthusiast would ever pay north of 50k for it, launch edition only had I think badging and a bluetooth speaker that's about it that I remember.

But I'm sure there's someone willing to pay 75k or more that really doesn't know anything about jeeps though :).
Sponsored