Sponsored

Hit and Run -- The Jeep Won

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
What really sucks is the asshat probably already made a claim that someone hit his parked car. :asshat:
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
My guess is that he is going to say you hit him and fled or that his car was hit while parked. It will come down to two differentiating party statements if there are no witnesses and each insurance company will pay for repairs on their own cars.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jake and a few others. Have hit the point out well on end result for Police action.... I'm familiar with it! I have interrupted my LJ getting "stripped" had completed tag and people involved... One of them attempted to bash me with my own fire extinguisher and the driver tried to run over me. Hindsight I should have called the tag in myself and made a home visit. Using my first career training.. ;).. Now on the other side of it. It's a civil court case in some States, if not seen directly by police officer nothing can be done. Low priority for investigation, (not that the Officer don't want to) they have to deal with their supervisor / department SOP's and directives. :(

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Jake and a few others. Have hit the point out well on end result for Police action.... I'm familiar with it! I have interrupted my LJ getting "stripped" had completed tag and people involved... One of them attempted to bash me with my own fire extinguisher and the driver tried to run over me. Hindsight I should have called the tag in myself and made a home visit. Using my first career training.. ;).. Now on the other side of it. It's a civil court case in some States, if not seen directly by police officer nothing can be done. Low priority for investigation, (not that the Officer don't want to) they have to deal with their supervisor / department SOP's and directives. :(
Dash cam.

OP
OP
aglass0fmilk

aglass0fmilk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee 1997, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I usually drive pretty laid back but I've been fed up with the commuters lately. Won't be doing that again for sure.

I was able to tell the cops during the initial report the (correct) first three characters of the plate, the make, model, trim level (limited badge :)), factory options/upgrades (optional rear spoiler, tints, license plate tints), color, and relative model year (the Elantra only had those specific tail lights from 2011 to 2016, his is a 2012).

I got a picture of the car (dangerously passing another truck stuck in traffic) with a partial plate as they fled... Don't try to hit and run people who are into cars...

Also, there's white paint from my fender visible on the side of the Elantra in the photos, and my bumper left a nice "signature" mark in their door/rear fender. There's no doubt it's the same shape as my bumper.

Not saying any of this will help in court (if it even would come to that), but it's pretty obvious this guy did it. I wouldn't expect him to be smart enough to preemptively call in a hit on his "parked" car.

Anywho, I unfortunately live in a "no fault" state so it doesn't really matter what happened. I sent all this info and pictures (including clear license plate photos) to the hit and run division of the city police dept and they said they'll be sending a letter to the registered owner.

I was mostly angry that he might get away with it with no trouble (not even so much as a scary letter). Now that I've seen the extent of damage to his car I'm okay with it. Both of us probably learned a valuable lesson (his being don't F*** with Jeeps ;)).

He may have bought the car quite recently because the plate lookups show the tag still registered to a 2006 Subaru... I know the other cars I have with the same three-character prefix were registered in 2017 at the latest.

I'll get it all fixed up when I get the windshield replaced (lasted only two months :mad:) in the Spring when the weather's nicer.

Life goes on. I won't even remember this when I have the top off in the next couple months :jk:

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
All I can say is State Farm sucks. I let them go about 4 years ago, went to Geico.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
More than likely he's using a stolen plate and driving the car uninsured and unregistered. Probably an illegal immigrant or someone without a driver's license.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
If that is the case, unlicensed and no insurance (as car is not registered properly) and changing the license plate (a felony in Calif.) he should go to jail. Hit an run drivers here are arrested when they are tracked down.
Cheers
Sponsored