Sponsored

Home wifi help, complete non Jeep question?

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
I don't facebook and trust this groups opinion more anyways.
Long story short, my mom is having an issue with a neighbor. She lives in the country behind a gate. Is there or what is the best way to boost the home wifi about 100yds to connect a Google nest came to have live and recorded feed of the gate?
The screw that drives the piston arm got cut last night and I know who did it, just no video proof. With out the video police can do nothing at the moment. Purchased a trail cam and a shotgun today to get through the weekend until a permanent solution. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, J5J
Jeep Gladiator Home wifi help, complete non Jeep question? 20220624_201509
Jeep Gladiator Home wifi help, complete non Jeep question? 20220624_201514

20220624_201404.jpg
Sponsored

DPF140

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineering Technical Director
If you have a direct line of sight, something like this would work.

TP-Link 5GHz AC867 Long Range Outdoor CPE for PtP and PtMP Transmission | Point to Point Wireless Bridge | 23dBi | Passive PoE Powered w/Free PoE Injector | Pharos Control (CPE710) https://a.co/d/ac1dboO

or run a network cable.

good luck, stay safe, bad neighbors are the worst!!!!!!!

john#21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM Hydro Blue
Im not familiar with google nest. It looks fairly wooded too, how is the line of sight to the house?

A signal repeater may work or using another router for that network that has the reach could too maybe. You may have to mount it up high and on the wall closest to where you are trying to reach.

Ive never personally tried to reach 100yds. I am curious to see some replies too.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You're about out of luck on standard gear with that distance. Even the 2.4GHz band craps out around 100m with 5GHz getting around 60m. You'll need to find a dedicated device for this that isn't generally cheap and requires line of sight. I don't like ubiquiti but they probably have something in the cheapest you'll find. If not them then mikrotik.

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
The line of sight is gonna be tricky. It is heavily wooded down by the gate and then opens up to the property.. the are great for when you don't want to see or hear your neighbors, and the gate was great for stopping looky loos who are out for a Sunday drive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
I'll set up the trail cam, it has a cellular signal and will upload the photos daily I think. Or we can retrieve them. I'm not a hunter gatherer so I've got no experience in that. Just some proof of him doing it
20 years ago we got into with his dad over the same thing, wanted to ride RZRs and four wheelers back here, hence the gate.. now the son is back. Not hard to figure out where he learned it.
When the second officer went up and talked to him last night he mentioned that "he just got out of prison, and f%@k them and their gate, they don't own that".. the officer said if he comes back, not to confront him call 911 immediately, because hes douchbag crazy. Actually called the other officer for back up but didn't hear the radio.

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
You're about out of luck on standard gear with that distance. Even the 2.4GHz band craps out around 100m with 5GHz getting around 60m. You'll need to find a dedicated device for this that isn't generally cheap and requires line of sight. I don't like ubiquiti but they probably have something in the cheapest you'll find. If not them then mikrotik.
Just looking at the ubiquiti website seems like a foreign language.. way above my pay grade.
I did get the 2 Google nest cams connected today for immediate residence footage should anything happen here. Easy to set up, and nice picture.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Kasa cams have good pics. Subscriptions are lame for most. Arlo cams don’t require subscriptions for about a week of archive videos. You going to need a good router for the incoming internet, a couple of mesh extenders, and some solar tended cams. How far is the gate from the house (wifi into router)? How obstructed is the wifi path from the house to the gate area? Game came should be ideal, blackout IR LEDs.

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
250ish feet. And the trees are super thick this year.
Jeep Gladiator Home wifi help, complete non Jeep question? Screenshot_20220624-220528_Maps

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
He didn’t come out of prison reformed and rehabilitated?
Some people just suck.
Hope your ordeal gets resolved with everyone safe and him back where he belongs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
He didn’t come out of prison reformed and rehabilitated?
Some people just suck.
Hope your ordeal gets resolved with everyone safe and him back where he belongs.
He did not. And it takes some kind of stupid for the first things you say to a cop following up a threat to be " I just got out of prison"..
I'm hoping the men in the RZR with him when my mom told him it was private were like " dude, who cares, it's a half mile of gravel road and an old lady, do you really want to go back to jail?" I mean RZRs are street legal around here now, just go ride it on a road somewhere.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Sucks you and your mom have to deal with that. I say get a couple of big ass dogs too. That guy sounds like a real nut job.

OP
OP
jakes5thjeep

jakes5thjeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubi
Occupation
Worker
Yeah that should be cool on 2.4GHz as long as you don't have radio interference. It's super good cutting through trees compared to 5GHz.
Thanks for the help, gives me a starting point. 👍
Sponsored