Sponsored

Hood Locks. - Easy Install

ShadowsPapa

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Threads
250
Messages
40,614
Reaction score
54,290
Location
Runnells, Iowa
Vehicle(s)
'25 JTMX, '23 JLU 4xe, '82 SX4, '73 Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
3
Like they say "Locks keep your friends out".
All somebody needs to get past these is a crowbar and they will pop open in a flash.
As was discussed in other threads, they do need to get under the hood to disable the horn as one of the theft methods.
Where I worked, 24/7/365 towing, we did impounds, towed away wrecks, stored a few until insurance had things hauled away and so on. There were times we had no keys for the impounds - there wasn't anything we couldn't get into (of course that was the 80s and some things have changed, but still.......... when you don't stand a chance of being seen, or don't care because it's not going to matter, yeah, basic tools will get you what you want if you want it bad enough.
But again, like discussed to death all over these forums - multiple layers work best. Some things will keep battery thieves away, or the casual thief, or opportunist or whatever, hardcore require different measures. So what if the hood locks won't stop a full vehicle theft (nothing will if they are equipped to haul it away, unopened) they will stop one layer.
It's going to depend on the circumstances - where is it, what time is it, are there others around, any chance of being seen, how well equipped are they........
Even the cops say - simple stuff matters. Lock 'er up.


Here are nine commonly stolen car parts or items and tips to prevent theft so you don't become a victim.
  1. Tires and Wheels. If you've bought new tires and/or wheels recently, you know they can get expensive. ...
  2. Tailgates. ...
  3. Batteries. ...
  4. Catalytic Converters. ...
  5. Airbags. ...
Add to that list, in some locations, STEERING WHEELS.


It's a thing, really. Battery thefts - with the prices of batteries for these being 3 to 5 times what batteries cost just a few years ago.........

Police warn people to be wary of car-battery thieves across ...
Jeep Gladiator Hood Locks. - Easy Install 1706301207840
ABC7 Los Angeles
https://abc7.com › car-battery-thefts-los-angeles-count...

Sep 24, 2018 — Authorities are urging people to be wary of thieves who are stealing car batteries all across Southern California.


Nov 5, 2021 — Car batteries have about 21 pounds of lead, so people can make about $7 per battery when they are sold to scrap yards. There are some ...

10 batteries, 70 bucks just as scrap.

I don't know how much meth or coke that will buy (I know the price of both Pepsi and Coke has skyrocketed here) but 70 bucks is 70 bucks to some.
Sponsored

 

KevinM60

Well-Known Member
First Name
Kevin
Joined
Jun 7, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
1,134
Reaction score
1,982
Location
Southern Cal
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CAD/CAM
Where I worked, 24/7/365 towing, we did impounds, towed away wrecks, stored a
Where I worked, 24/7/365 towing, we did impounds, towed away wrecks, stored a few until insurance had things hauled away and so on. There were times we had no keys for the impounds - there wasn't anything we couldn't get into (of course that was the 80s and some things have changed, but still.......... when you don't stand a chance of being seen, or don't care because it's not going to matter, yeah, basic tools will get you what you want if you want it bad enough.
But again, like discussed to death all over these forums - multiple layers work best. Some things will keep battery thieves away, or the casual thief, or opportunist or whatever, hardcore require different measures. So what if the hood locks won't stop a full vehicle theft (nothing will if they are equipped to haul it away, unopened) they will stop one layer.
It's going to depend on the circumstances - where is it, what time is it, are there others around, any chance of being seen, how well equipped are they........
Even the cops say - simple stuff matters. Lock 'er up.


Here are nine commonly stolen car parts or items and tips to prevent theft so you don't become a victim.
  1. Tires and Wheels. If you've bought new tires and/or wheels recently, you know they can get expensive. ...
  2. Tailgates. ...
  3. Batteries. ...
  4. Catalytic Converters. ...
  5. Airbags. ...
Add to that list, in some locations, STEERING WHEELS.


It's a thing, really. Battery thefts - with the prices of batteries for these being 3 to 5 times what batteries cost just a few years ago.........

Police warn people to be wary of car-battery thieves across ...
1706301207840.webp
ABC7 Los Angeles
https://abc7.com › car-battery-thefts-los-angeles-count...

Sep 24, 2018 — Authorities are urging people to be wary of thieves who are stealing car batteries all across Southern California.


Nov 5, 2021 — Car batteries have about 21 pounds of lead, so people can make about $7 per battery when they are sold to scrap yards. There are some ...

10 batteries, 70 bucks just as scrap.

I don't know how much meth or coke that will buy (I know the price of both Pepsi and Coke has skyrocketed here) but 70 bucks is 70 bucks to some.
I agree on the deterrent factor. It will keep the opportunists from going further than looking, which says a lot for the application. I may just add some myself but it's a matter of deciding which ones. I would rather pay more for the tube locks and stronger mechanism myself.
For a sketcher $5 will get you through the afternoon and that's all that matters for the moment.
 

ShadowsPapa

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Threads
250
Messages
40,614
Reaction score
54,290
Location
Runnells, Iowa
Vehicle(s)
'25 JTMX, '23 JLU 4xe, '82 SX4, '73 Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
3
I agree on the deterrent factor. It will keep the opportunists from going further than looking, which says a lot for the application. I may just add some myself but it's a matter of deciding which ones. I would rather pay more for the tube locks and stronger mechanism myself.
For a sketcher $5 will get you through the afternoon and that's all that matters for the moment.
LOL - (and a big LOL at that) so basically a battery a day. They'll worry about tomorrow later tonight. Good one.
 

Sponsored


Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Threads
250
Messages
40,614
Reaction score
54,290
Location
Runnells, Iowa
Vehicle(s)
'25 JTMX, '23 JLU 4xe, '82 SX4, '73 Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
3
Or yank them with long needle nose pliers.
Wire hook. I keep stiff wires around, old hangers and so on - great for pulling wires through things.

That's why it's done, easy.

Reverse the horns and tuck the wires out of sight.
For sure. hide the wires, make it difficult.
I can't figure why they use horns as part of the alarm and then say "cut here to disable alarm" to thieves.
 

SargeDiesel

Well-Known Member
First Name
michael
Joined
Aug 22, 2021
Threads
25
Messages
1,914
Reaction score
1,478
Location
35173
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Nice but I went with the Bolt one, it uses the manufacturer key so I don't have to track and carry other keys. And when I give my key to the dealer, I also give them the key to the hood. Costs more I am sure, but worth it to me.
Im guessing you don't have a front trail cam? Hood locks are limited for those of us that do.
 

SargeDiesel

Well-Known Member
First Name
michael
Joined
Aug 22, 2021
Threads
25
Messages
1,914
Reaction score
1,478
Location
35173
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I hear the concerns of rust etc…. I coated my internal soring and lock with dry film lubricant. Maybe it helps a little. If in a few months i see theres and issue…well ..$38 is cheap to replace or i will go a different direction. For the time being its just another layer of protection.
Dont worry, I think you will be fine. I have had mine for 2+yrs and not a single issues... I do use a silicone based lube to keep thing moving when I do normal maintenance... so far no issues.

Yes, some thief/asshat could rip them off and probably bend the mechanism causing potential damage to the lock/hood... but like all of these things... they are just a deterrent.

Here are a couple more pics to reference.

Jeep Gladiator Hood Locks. - Easy Install 20220728_114300
Jeep Gladiator Hood Locks. - Easy Install 20220728_114305
Jeep Gladiator Hood Locks. - Easy Install 20220728_114315
 
OP
OP

MMMojave

Well-Known Member
First Name
Matt
Joined
May 6, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
189
Reaction score
231
Location
Georgia
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired LEO - Current College Professor
@SargeDiesel
Where did you get the barrel keyed version?

Got a link?
 
OP
OP

MMMojave

Well-Known Member
First Name
Matt
Joined
May 6, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
189
Reaction score
231
Location
Georgia
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired LEO - Current College Professor
Found and orderd them. I will install them on Sunday! Thanks!
Sponsored

 
 







Top