Hood Vents?

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Noob question here. I am 2 months into owning my first Jeep and loving it. However I was surprised to find out that the hood vents on my JTR are not functional. I own Challenger SPWB that has open hood vents for heat dissipation. They are truly functional and let out a lot of heat from under the hood. You can actually see it at a stop (at speed they also help with pressure build up and handling at speed, but not an issue here with the MT 3.6!) . Three years in and no issues with water in the engine bay. I have a lot of custom mods under the hood and everything seems to stay clean and dry. For the JTR I don't see many options for making them functional aside from cutting the bottoms out or a couple ram options that don't make sense physics-wise. It bothers me that there are fake vents in my hood. What is the overall opinion or experience with opening them up? Any good aftermarket options? I am tempted to take my Dremel to them and cut out the the bottoms and the hood insulation to let them do their job. I bought my JT for camping, trailer towing, light trail driving and occasional rough stuff. BTW I love this truck and can't stop smiling every time I drive it.
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
On my previous 2 JKU’s with the hood vents, I cut them out with a dremel tool and put them back in. As far as I could tell it didn’t do anything but release heat out with more fog during cold conditions. Personally I never saw anything different of engine cooling via temps on gauges.

Now on the JL/JT’s, if you did this mod you would have to cut out the hood liner to get full heat travel up.

I’m personally not going to do anything to mine this time. I found that even opening up my previous ones that it didn’t melt the snow any faster than before.
Good luck sir

OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
On my previous 2 JKU’s with the hood vents, I cut them out with a dremel tool and put them back in. As far as I could tell it didn’t do anything but release heat out with more fog during cold conditions. Personally I never saw anything different of engine cooling via temps on gauges.

Now on the JL/JT’s, if you did this mod you would have to cut out the hood liner to get full heat travel up.

I’m personally not going to do anything to mine this time. I found that even opening up my previous ones that it didn’t melt the snow any faster than before.
Good luck sir
Yeah, I think it is just going to bug me that they are fake. The only remote benefit is that it might help keep my air compressor cooler. I mounted a single ARB on the engine cover bracket. I have read that people think it gets pretty hot. It would be just inside of the exposed vents.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
I'd imagine someone with more knowledge than me could design it to be some sort of ram air for performance purposes. IDK when it would benefit, maybe towing at speed?

As is... utilize it somehow for a CAI perhaps. Or cooling in hot weather.

I sure as Hell ain't got time to do stuff like that. But I likely would pay a shop to do something proven at some date.

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, 1998 M1123
Occupation
Centurion, Earth Occupation Forces
You could fit a 392 hood to it.
Most of that contraption is a rain separator with multiple water chutes

20210711_171447.jpg

20210711_171434.jpg

20210711_171429.jpg

20210711_171411.jpg

20210711_171356.jpg

Sponsored

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had this idea for a functional heat reduction hood vent. But its a little too big and I cant bring myself to butcher my Mojave "performance hood"

But its in the perfect spot for evacuating the most amount of underhood heat possible

The best place to put heat reduction vents is where all the hot air is blowing when your fan is running. Just open your hood and feel with your hand at closed hood height. Thats the spot to put the vent and there is good airflow over the hood that doesnt interfere with the venting and fan airflow.

If your rubicon vents can catch some of the fan breezes then open them up.

The rain issue is another story...even in AZ

Jeep Gladiator Hood Vents? 20210917_125037

Jeep Gladiator Hood Vents? DSCN4389.JPG

20210725_103741.jpg

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
mine are opened up. they let out a lot of heat. Does it make any differences anywhere ? Absolutely maybe. That said not a fan of fake scoops etc. so this was a must have!!

OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
You could fit a 392 hood to it.
Most of that contraption is a rain separator with multiple water chutes

20210711_171447.jpg

20210711_171434.jpg

20210711_171429.jpg

20210711_171411.jpg

20210711_171356.jpg
I love my 392 Challenger. Would be nice in a Gladiator! I have the Hellcat Airbox on my Challenger. It really made a difference in IAT, by 5-7 degrees on most days. Now it runs 3-5 over ambient. I am thinking of putting the T/A CAI on it just for show. I don't think in my case it would get much cooler than it is already.

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
S&b makes some intakes… the one I have here includes the outlet to their cai for ram air
https://www.sbfilters.com/jeep-scoops/as-1014

You can get the ram air pieces only too just to let air in

https://www.sbfilters.com/jeep-scoops/as-1015

Also poison Spyder makes a kit for louvers to replace the plastic vents. And they give a trim guide to open up the hood insulation

https://shop.poisonspyder.com/JT-JL-Rubicon-Hood-Louver-Black-PC-p/19-53-012p1.htm
Much appreciated! Great community here n this forum. Although I prefer the negative-pressure vent style of the stock fake configuration, I like the neatness of this. Keeps the inside shield from looking hacked up. Once this is off backorder, the SB may be my solution.

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Experiment gentlemen...

I "did my own research" back in 2006 on my LJR. Tried different spots and looked at airflow over the hood and underhood temps. Not engine temps. Just the environment where all the expensive gizmos resided. It lowered the underhood temps by about 35 degrees with 115 ambient temps in phoenix summer traffic.

What I really got a kick out of was that my fan clutch no longer stayed constantly engaged while in that brutal summer stop and go max AC traffic where you feel the drag of the roaring fan . By putting the vents where the hottest air gets blown by the fan at all times, you open up that cooling capacity from being so close to the brink. high speed, low speed doesnt matter its still blasting hot air out.

Notice that the muddy stain from fan water also shows you visually where the fan is blasting.

DSCN3956.JPG

DSCN2969.JPG

DSCN2971.JPG

DSCN6043.JPG

DSCN6048.JPG

OP
OP
Iamstubb

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Experiment gentlemen...

I "did my own research" back in 2006 on my LJR. Tried different spots and looked at airflow over the hood and underhood temps. Not engine temps. Just the environment where all the expensive gizmos resided. It lowered the underhood temps by about 35 degrees with 115 ambient temps in phoenix summer traffic.

What I really got a kick out of was that my fan clutch no longer stayed constantly engaged while in that brutal summer stop and go max AC traffic where you feel the drag of the roaring fan . By putting the vents where the hottest air gets blown by the fan at all times, you open up that cooling capacity from being so close to the brink. high speed, low speed doesnt matter its still blasting hot air out.

Notice that the muddy stain from fan water also shows you visually where the fan is blasting.

DSCN3956.JPG

DSCN2969.JPG

DSCN2971.JPG

DSCN6043.JPG

DSCN6048.JPG
Well Done-Thanks for the info! So did you open up your JT?

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No. Cant bring myself to do it to the Mojave hood.
Thought about it....but didn't do it

If I had the plain hood it would be done already
Sponsored