First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
I will second what everyone else here has said so far. Mine is stock from a driveline perspective and has tackled: Hells Revenge, the first two miles of Lockhart Basin (due to time of day), Engineer Pass, TinCup Pass and a bunch more of the less well known trails/passes in Colorado/Utah. If you want to see some pictures I put thos trips up on my instagram account here:

https://www.instagram.com/jeepdadiator/

I will concur that the Jeep is more capable than most folks can handle. One fun note is the way they have raised the fender line and increased tire clearance from the factory gives it a deceptively less capable look. I passed a couple in a lifted 3rd gen 4runner on 33s that obviously looked like it was lifted. He flagged me down and asked if Knew what I was getting myself into on Hancock Pass likely not realizing we both had the same tire diameter/axle clearance. I suspect he didn't realize the Rubi has lockers/sway bar disconnects. He proceeded to stand back and watch me climb the ridge/obstacle he was warning me about with ZERO effort or concern and I could see that he was very surprised.

Yes the breakover is an issue but the Rubi has factory skids so you just have to get yourself over the fact that you are dragging your brand new truck across rocks (turn up the radio)! the other place I have had more impact than desired is the rear lower control arm mounts but you can put skids on those OR just be aware and work on tire placement.

My favorite pics from Lockhart basin:

IMG_20200823_135505.jpg

IMG_20200823_171244_826.jpg
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
My wife was a little ticked/annoyed that the first thing I did with our JTR was put 35's on it. She thought "this is a brand new truck, why does it need tires?" Putting the take offs on the YJ made her feel a bit better.

Once she went through the Adventure Academy at Hollister Hills, it all made much more sense to her.

Now she's on me to get with installing the ACE sliders that are crowding the garage.....

Edit to add: The bigger tires fit fine on the Rubicon, they should be the stock size in my view.

I only ask because I believe they are quite capable. Trail rated. Able to run the rubicon trail stock (carefully) Right ? So why is everyone telling me oh you got to lift it run larger tires crazy suspension ? To really enjoy it off road. And a basic kit like a spacer lift won’t cut it? Still has the rubicon suspension right ? I kinda feel like there is a lotta hype to do after market stuff. Oh I get it though I have dumped a bunch of money inso far And am getting ready to do more.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
All this. All day.

A "bone stock Rubicon" will do more than most anyone will want to do with it. I say that because it will run trails most won't want to run only because of the risk of damage to the Jeep.

It'll certainly do way more than 90+% of owners will try to do.

And as for modifying a Rubicon (any Jeep), many of the mods will enable the Jeep to do even more, do it more easily and reduce the risk of damage (e.g., suspension lift and larger diameter tires).

The questions and discussions would be better focused on how owners can learn how to improve their off road skills and increase their success (and reducing damage) off the pavement

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
The bigger tires fit fine on the Rubicon, they should be the stock size in my view.
+1. The Rubicon should have come with 35s stock. I have no problem with rubbing with my 315/70/17s on a stock Rubicon.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Yes the breakover is an issue but the Rubi has factory skids...
As far as I'm aware, every JT has the same belly skids but the rubi (and maybe Mojave?) also gets the additional front skid attached to the bottom of the front bumper.

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
As far as I'm aware, every JT has the same belly skids but the rubi (and maybe Mojave?) also gets the additional front skid attached to the bottom of the front bumper.
Yes, sorry for the misleading post. Looks like all have the gas and transfer case skids but the Rubicon adds bed sliders and rock rails standard.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I own an Overland JT. I did own a TJ Rubicon with a 2" lift and 32" 10 ply Mud terrains. I also owned a TJ Sport. The electric lockers and 4:1 transfer case, makes things look easy that a standard Jeep has difficulty or cannot do. I owned one, I know. The JT Rubicon package would be even more important on difficult trails because of it's ability to more easily high center, and it's departure angle. Having full power to all 4 wheels would be beneficial more often in the JT.

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
Most people who "off-road" deal with something like clay packed roads of various ages and quality. I have 10s of thousands of miles in this "off-road" capacity. You can drive "off-road" in this capacity in a damn Toyota Camry for its entire life and only have to worry about replacing exhaust parts. If you're the 99% of people who fit into this category, the Rubicon is like flying a 747 for 2 people. It's absurd how non necessary it is for this.

Your stock Rubicon in 2020 is 10x more capable than most modded Wranglers of the 80s.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Want to know what a bone stock Rubicon can do? See how long and how far you can go without putting it into 4WD at all. You'd be amazed at what a Jeep can do in 2WD.

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want to know what a bone stock Rubicon can do? See how long and how far you can go without putting it into 4WD at all. You'd be amazed at what a Jeep can do in 2WD.
This is kind of exactly my point. My first car ever was an '87 Honda Accord that I took "off-road" for 3 years and only had to replace exhaust parts in the capacity that literally 99.9% of people who "off-road" call "off-road."

If you want to go 100 mph on those roads or if you want to start going over rocks and stuff, that's where the difference really starts to come into play on the type of vehicle you own and how you equip it.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I would venture to say that the Rubicon's capabilities are several percentage points higher than the average driver's pucker factor.
This right here, there should be an International Sphincter Tension Rating or ISTR for off road vehicles. Not sure whose sphincter should be used for calibration purposes, but they are not in short supply.

I would say a stock Rubicon is in the 95th percentile of capability of most people.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
With enough rock stacking you can take a subaru through the Rubicon. LOL

I will have to watch the video. I gotta see it.
They took 5 of them driven by media folks, yes they did some rock stacking, but I sincerely doubt there is anything else you can buy off of the showroom floor that will even come close. And it has been a long time since I watched that, but I don't remember there being any significant damage

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This right here, there should be an International Sphincter Tension Rating or ISTR for off road vehicles. Not sure whose sphincter should be used for calibration purposes, but they are not in short supply.

I would say a stock Rubicon is in the 95th percentile of capability of most people.
But where is that not true? I have a close family friend who worked at Mercedes high enough that he got to do one of their track days and he made the instructor pull over and let him out. The right driver can make that ISTR factor be at 11 in any car :D
Sponsored