Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Cash is king when negotiating a price or having a paid off vehicle that they want bad enough. On my JT I told them what I wanted and had two other deals on rhe back burner at two other dealerships plus I had a well built 2010 JKU that was paid off that they were drooling over. I normally tell a dealership what I want not being unrealistic and if they can't do it then I walk. When I was negotiating on the JT I already had financing in place on it so they just needed to get me under $35,000 on the purchase price. I also was texting with two other sales men at two other dealerships while they were figuring out if they could offer me all the rebates and get the JT from $41,000 to under $35,000. In the end they got it to $33,000 and after everything added in I was out the door at $37,000 and they cut me a check for $11,000 for a beat up 2010 JKU with 132,000 miles on it.
Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I normally tell a dealership what I want not being unrealistic and if they can't do it then I walk.
Exactly what I do. I figure out ahead of time the deal I want, keeping it realistic, and I stick by it. My local dealership came through nicely with my truck and trade deal.

OP
OP
FishChowder

FishChowder

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Cmax
I have read a few times on here that you're supposed to negotiate the final price and not the monthly payment amount. What is the benefit of doing it this way?

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave and 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
I have read a few times on here that you're supposed to negotiate the final price and not the monthly payment amount. What is the benefit of doing it this way?
Its a lot harder for the dealership to "hide" fees / costs when you negotiate just the price of the car. Its really easy for them to add in a couple little things to a monthly payment that doesn't seem like a lot but over the entire length of the loan they end up costing you a lot.

You should be ready to calculate your own payments when you are sitting at the dealership. There are lots of smart phone apps for this, or what I do is keep a grid printed out with financed amount and monthly payments with me. that way I can easily look at my grid and see if I finance 30000 my payment will be XXXXXX if I finance 35000 my payment will be YYYYYY

On another note, once a dealership knows how much your willing to pay per month they will do everything to make sure you pay that per month. You lose a lot of negotiating power once they know your numbers.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I negotiate by keeping negotiations to a minimum. Every dealer will have times that they are willing to really discount big. That will be usually at end of month, quarter, or year to get rid of inventory, reach next hold back bonus, or hopefully both. When I go in I know exactly what I want to pay for the vehicle and what my range I will be willing to take for my trade if I have one. I hand those figures on a piece of paper to the salesmen, and tell them that is what I'm willing to do today. This tells them that I'm well informed, and any bullshit is a waste of their time. Their response will be a quick sorry can't do, A piece of paper with what they can do, or a visit from the sales manager. When I see the sales manager I know they might meet my figures. I find out quickly and leave the dealership if not close. I let them know up front my time and theirs is valuable, and I won't let it be wasted. I will usually see about 3 dealerships before deciding whether I will buy from one of them. I have been surprised before ( not often) and have had them say OK the deal is done. Then I feel like I messed up. LOL

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I let them start out with whatever they want to offer for my trade. Let them think that is all settled, and move to discussing price of the new vehicle.
At this point I throw them a “retail to retail; or wholesale to wholesale “ comment. It has got the sales guys overthinking a few times and I got some really pricing on the trade -in.
Sponsored