Sponsored

How does one decide on which model?

N9NWO

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just an S10. Looking to buy a Gladiator.
Looking over all the models it is somewhat overwhelming.

I want a diesel. I am more likely to do moderate off road but a major will be highway.
Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
For me it was simple- I wanted power windows And locks so that bumped me into Sport S. I am Never going to be a serious off-roader but didnt want to be limited with towing so I chose max tow. Rubicon and Mojave are better looking and probably offer plenty of tow capacity but then $$$ to get into one of those.

Ageek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
I went with a High Altitude.

I owned a JK and JL Rubicon. When I lived in Utah, I was off road almost every weekend and used my lockers, disconnects, etc. Currently I live in New Hampshire and had not used my lockers or disconnected the sway bar since moving here.
When I decided to get my JT, I originally was going to get a Rubicon again, but since I didn't need it here, I decided to focus on getting the High Altitude with all the options. I wanted the premium stereo, cold weather group, tow package, color matched fenders and hardtop, etc. The High Altitude had everything I wanted and a good tow rating, not as good as Max Tow or Rubicon, but enough for my needs.
One other reason was the axles on the High Altitude. I am planning to move back West later this year, and when that happens, I will be spending more time off road again. The High Altitude comes with the same wide axles that Max Tow and Rubicon have so I plan to add lockers once I move.

Focus on what you will spend the majority of your time doing. All JT models are capable off road and there are countless customizations if you need to do more than stock will allow. It all depends on your budget.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
What do you need, is impractical to add, and can't compromise on?
Red line any model that doesn't meet this requirement. Do you need a diesel? Do you need a 4:1 transfer case?

What do you need but can add later?
Decide what you want to add and what is more practical to get from the factory. Weigh options like lockers, accessory power panels, etc. and decide if adding is worth the effort, shortcomings, and cost difference.

What do you want but can live without?
If you end up with 2-3 options, use this to determine which one you end up driving home if buying off the lot. If ordering, decide which are the most important up to your budget

I needed wide axles and the 4.10 gears which meant Rubicon or Max Tow. I also needed maximum GVWR which is the same again. I wanted lockers which made the Rubicon nice to have but in reality, I don't like the F/F+R and only in 4Lo limitations so aftermarket is more appealing. I didn't want to pay the extra for things I didn't need or highly want so I bought a Max Tow and I'll build it from there.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Sport S with max tow will fit you just fine.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Looking over all the models it is somewhat overwhelming.

I want a diesel. I am more likely to do moderate off road but a major will be highway.
It all depends on what you plan to do. The majority of my driving is highway travel. I like comfort and convenience, so I went with a fully loaded Overland. If I were buying now, I would also consider a Mojave.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
No Max Tow if you want a Diesel. LostWoods probably has it most concisely- figure out the couple things you really need, then figure out your budget, buy what fits best

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
It all depends on what you plan to do. The majority of my driving is highway travel. I like comfort and convenience, so I went with a fully loaded Overland. If I were buying now, I would also consider a Mojave.
Me too. Trading in my 2020 Overland for a 2021 Mojave with selec-trac. Loved my Overland, which made me want a Mojave.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
What do you need, is impractical to add, and can't compromise on?
Red line any model that doesn't meet this requirement. Do you need a diesel? Do you need a 4:1 transfer case?

What do you need but can add later?
Decide what you want to add and what is more practical to get from the factory. Weigh options like lockers, accessory power panels, etc. and decide if adding is worth the effort, shortcomings, and cost difference.

What do you want but can live without?
If you end up with 2-3 options, use this to determine which one you end up driving home if buying off the lot. If ordering, decide which are the most important up to your budget

I needed wide axles and the 4.10 gears which meant Rubicon or Max Tow. I also needed maximum GVWR which is the same again. I wanted lockers which made the Rubicon nice to have but in reality, I don't like the F/F+R and only in 4Lo limitations so aftermarket is more appealing. I didn't want to pay the extra for things I didn't need or highly want so I bought a Max Tow and I'll build it from there.
A Tazer will allow your lockers to work in 4 high. I know its too late for you, but it can help the next guy.(or gal)

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
A Tazer will allow your lockers to work in 4 high. I know its too late for you, but it can help the next guy.(or gal)
Still don't want to deal with hacky solutions honestly and that still doesn't let them be used front only which was the real kicker for me.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Huh.
For me it was simply how high up the food chain could I go within my budget. The only model not in the running was a Rubicon, because I don’t need those features.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Really identify what you absolutely can't go without and what you can't add (easily or cost effectively) after the fact. For instance, with my JLU and JT I wanted selec-trac as living in the northeast can get tricky with snow and ice and I didn't want to have to keep switching from slush to dry to avoid steering/turning issues. That would be hard to do after the fact so I made sure I had that. Similar with keyless entry, while some have added that, it's tougher to do versus the rock rails or bed trail rails. Just my $0.02.
Sponsored