Sponsored

Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If I didn't need a truck i would have bought a wrangler instead. Seems I always have a project going on around the house and need to haul something home from home depot
Or Menards?

Jeep Gladiator Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator. 20210331_132206_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator. 20211023_102456_HDR
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I miss Menards. Lived on either end of Iowa for too many years, but Menards was great!
So we might say - Iowa lost a hooligan? LOL
Yeah, they have lots of stuff, decent prices - just buy the better lumber when shopping there if it matters.
I miss their 11% "rebates". I paid for a new door by saving up the rebate cards.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Ha my wife has a 2019 JLUR and she loves it. I put Rubicon take off wheels and tires on it and it looks great. However she does zero off-roading but loves taking the top off in the summer time. Also my wife got her Jeep first and it made me want a Gladiator as soon as I saw one in person.
This is what happened for me. Got the wife a '19 JLUR in Mojito! and I wanted one for myself......I wanted a soft top, bigger everything and a truck.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
For those of you that have owned both (Wrangler & Gladiator), which do you like better and why? Looking at a diesel version. Mostly daily driver. Off-road on weekends.
I have both the JL and JT. They serve two different purposes. Overlanding, dogs, and hunting are the main reason I have the JT. The JL turns on a dime and is a lot more convenient in parking lots and family runs. Longer travel is nice with the truck bed. With the JT you get a Wrangler from the back seat forward. I love both for different reasons.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT diesel rubi
Occupation
Human trafficking
If you want a diesel you’re going to have to get a gladiator.

I’ve got a 22 diesel gladiator and the wife has a 22 3.6 e torque wrangler

We normally take the wrangler anytime we’re going to the grocery store to avoid putting the stroller or groceries in the bed. It is also easier to maneuver and park around town. Not that the gladiator is hard, the wrangler is just easier.

On longer highway trips the gladiator is generally the go to. It’s a scooch more stable on the highway with the longer wheelbase and more space for stuff if we’re gone for a few days.

Both can run comfortably at 75+ down the interstate.

with an aev puck lift and 35s the gladiator is horrendously impressive off-road and can handle anything that anyone should be taking their DD on.

Go drive both and see what you like more. Neither is a bad option.

9692EE2B-25D8-4A45-972B-20A1517AF559.jpeg

F9F15F66-26C0-453E-B656-AE72730D093D.jpeg

DE451BC0-B5CB-41D7-967C-2CC5A4E43516.jpeg

70D9CEB8-1776-4367-B11A-F7F239275F50.jpeg

39E33263-2147-4C7F-B8B5-F1E0565E3A77.jpeg

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I love Wranglers especially the current body style. The 4 doors look great. anything before are too square for my taste. I like the bed my gladiator has even though its small and is relatively maintenance free. I like the expanded freedom i get with the truck bed. I can manage the tops solo too. If i really had too. Good Luck with a 4d wrangler.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I think of my Mojave as an extended Wrangler, my wife traded her 2010JK Sport in on a 2019 Sahara, and I had the nuts for a Gladiator soon as they came out. I need the cap so an RSI fit the bill of an extended Wrangler! Carries kayaks , guns ,sleep in it haul firewood , project lumber, it just works I smile every time I look at it!…..Jack
AF7C6D58-E311-4DB9-A1B4-4D20403FFE50.jpeg

But it can wheel a bit!
CAE2E670-BFF6-496A-8FC1-347BB0DEC59C.jpeg

bbelew

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
The bed was the kicker for me, but I suggest drive both, not the short test drive the 30-45 minute drive. Highway, two lanes make the dealer think you aren't bringing it back. Really consider what you'll be using it for. Mine was the gas can or the occasional bag of garbage, just didn't want that in my Jeep Wrangler. Bottom line it is your choice make yourself happy, it's a Jeep.....

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
I also think mine is comfortable, wife and kids not so much. I don't sit in the back so those seats don't bother me. Most of the reasons we all chose the truck bed over interior cargo space is we just don't like having certain things inside. My wife really like to keeps things clean. especially the interior. Kids and the beach is a recipe for disaster and often times takes longer to clean up all the sand than the time we spent at the beach. One thing i wish i had was a dual top because i do love the top off. I have a 45 one way drive to work so top off means i either have to let it sit all day or carry my trail cover. Lots and lots of little factors that i am sure make the choice even more difficult. Lots and lots of opinions here for sure.
You are either going to cut through a lot of concerns or raise more for yourself here. The single most common answer you will see is "its going to be your Jeep. Get what makes you happy." Your smile will be just as big with either model.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I also think mine is comfortable, wife and kids not so much. I don't sit in the back so those seats don't bother me. Most of the reasons we all chose the truck bed over interior cargo space is we just don't like having certain things inside. My wife really like to keeps things clean. especially the interior. Kids and the beach is a recipe for disaster and often times takes longer to clean up all the sand than the time we spent at the beach. One thing i wish i had was a dual top because i do love the top off. I have a 45 one way drive to work so top off means i either have to let it sit all day or carry my trail cover. Lots and lots of little factors that i am sure make the choice even more difficult. Lots and lots of opinions here for sure.
You are either going to cut through a lot of concerns or raise more for yourself here. The single most common answer you will see is "its going to be your Jeep. Get what makes you happy." Your smile will be just as big with either model.
My son and his wife were with us several times in my 2011 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab (back seats, rear doors that opened rearward when the front doors were open)
The cab cubic feet was of course larger than the JT.
They have since visited and stayed with us multiple times and have ridden in the JT.
Both Luke and EJ said the ride was fine and the space was fine. In fact my son commented that there was plenty of room in the back seat, and more comfortable than the Chevy was back there.
I think part of it is that the Chevy, although more cubic feet in the cab if you measured it empty, everything inside the cab was BIG. Seats were fat and thick, console was big, door panels were big and stuck into the truck. The Jeep panels are flat and don't intrude into the cabin, the seats are thin, maybe half the thickness of some others. So they gain usable human space in the cab by not taking up space making things big and fat in the cab. You could have a huge cab space but fill it with foam and fluff and panels and consoles and big dash and such and lose the space for people. And I think that's why my family said seating in the JT was fine and leg room was good even compared to the Chevy. My son is not a small or short guy. He's a bit over 200 after having lost weight but is still over 6' tall. He's cramped in some small cars.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
My son and his wife were with us several times in my 2011 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab (back seats, rear doors that opened rearward when the front doors were open)
The cab cubic feet was of course larger than the JT.
They have since visited and stayed with us multiple times and have ridden in the JT.
Both Luke and EJ said the ride was fine and the space was fine. In fact my son commented that there was plenty of room in the back seat, and more comfortable than the Chevy was back there.
I think part of it is that the Chevy, although more cubic feet in the cab if you measured it empty, everything inside the cab was BIG. Seats were fat and thick, console was big, door panels were big and stuck into the truck. The Jeep panels are flat and don't intrude into the cabin, the seats are thin, maybe half the thickness of some others. So they gain usable human space in the cab by not taking up space making things big and fat in the cab. You could have a huge cab space but fill it with foam and fluff and panels and consoles and big dash and such and lose the space for people. And I think that's why my family said seating in the JT was fine and leg room was good even compared to the Chevy. My son is not a small or short guy. He's a bit over 200 after having lost weight but is still over 6' tall. He's cramped in some small cars.
My son is 6'2" and maybe 130 lbs. he fits just fine. so do i. Lots of room up front too. People to complain about the head room but he really drives with a seat in the full upright position? no one. I do wish there was a bit more reline to the fixed rear seat though. My wife hates the back seat!!! But that's an easy solution!

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
If you want a diesel you’re going to have to get a gladiator.

I’ve got a 22 diesel gladiator and the wife has a 22 3.6 e torque wrangler

We normally take the wrangler anytime we’re going to the grocery store to avoid putting the stroller or groceries in the bed. It is also easier to maneuver and park around town. Not that the gladiator is hard, the wrangler is just easier.

On longer highway trips the gladiator is generally the go to. It’s a scooch more stable on the highway with the longer wheelbase and more space for stuff if we’re gone for a few days.

Both can run comfortably at 75+ down the interstate.

with an aev puck lift and 35s the gladiator is horrendously impressive off-road and can handle anything that anyone should be taking their DD on.

Go drive both and see what you like more. Neither is a bad option.

9692EE2B-25D8-4A45-972B-20A1517AF559.jpeg

F9F15F66-26C0-453E-B656-AE72730D093D.jpeg

DE451BC0-B5CB-41D7-967C-2CC5A4E43516.jpeg

70D9CEB8-1776-4367-B11A-F7F239275F50.jpeg

39E33263-2147-4C7F-B8B5-F1E0565E3A77.jpeg
jealous!
Sponsored