First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So I'm in the market for a bikini top and I'm not overly impressed with the existing solid bikini top offerings out there (Bestop, mastertop, rampage, etc). The mesh tops like spiderwebshade, Jtops, alien shade, etc seem to be very popular. There are a number of threads out there that talk about the fit and finish of these tops but I'm wondering how well they do at actually providing shade?

On my old YJ I had a solid bikini top but I lived in MN then. I recently moved to AZ and love the climate but I'm worried that a mesh top might not provide enough shade. Anyone have advice on going with a solid style bikini top versus a mesh shade?
Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I got the front and rear alien shades and ran them for a month this summer when the whole top was off for a month. I really liked them. It really does make a difference opposed to direct sunlight and calms the wind in the cab down a bit too. I took it off when the top went back on cuz I wanted the headroom back.

OP
OP
MrFahrenheit

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I took it off when the top went back on cuz I wanted the headroom back.
I had noticed that the alien shades sit inside the roll bar versus over the top. How much of an issues was head room? Did the top ever flop down and touch your head while driving?

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
I have the master top vinyl bikini and I love it. Way better than bestop cause it requires no wind channel. Settled on that one because on the east coast random rain showers is a real thing and mesh wouldn't cut it at all for that. So it was a no brainer. Sits under the roll bar but I have no issue with head clearance

OP
OP
MrFahrenheit

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have the master top vinyl bikini and I love it. Way better than bestop cause it requires no wind channel. Settled on that one because on the east coast random rain showers is a real thing and mesh wouldn't cut it at all for that. So it was a no brainer. Sits under the roll bar but I have no issue with head clearance
I thought the mastertop fit over the top of the rollbar? Are you talking about this one? https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/bimini-plus-summer-top-gladiator-jt

Did you do anything special with all the extra strap material? Seems like once you get it on you'd want to trim up the straps so there isn't so much excess.

Sponsored

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
I thought the mastertop fit over the top of the rollbar? Are you talking about this one? https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/bimini-plus-summer-top-gladiator-jt

Did you do anything special with all the extra strap material? Seems like once you get it on you'd want to trim up the straps so there isn't so much excess.
Yes I'm sorry you're right I meant to say under the top lip of the windshield.

No I feel like if I cut the steps I couldn't tighten them as well so wife and I tuck them in between the roll bar and top itself.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I had noticed that the alien shades sit inside the roll bar versus over the top. How much of an issues was head room? Did the top ever flop down and touch your head while driving?
I'm 6'3", if I wear a hat it just touches the shade. But the the shades are very tight, don't flap around at all which is nice. You can put the roof or sun rider back over it, just for me, with a closed roof, it'd be a little clostraphobic. I left the rear one on because it's not bothering the kids yet.

Some people prefer the one piece shades because they give a little more headroom sitting at the top of the roll bar.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The JTops is in a category of its own due to materials and design. It's not perfect and it is not a solid top level of protection, but it makes a HUGE comfort difference vs being truly open. My wife was a Phoenician for 29 years, it's not as hot here but DANG close, and she likes it.

Wind is reduced, wind noise is reduced, turbulence is reduced, shade is so-so. I still wear a hat and I'm tall enough it interferes with the clearance. Taking the targa panels out is complicated by the coverage of the shade, unnecessarily so in my view. An extra 30-60 seconds, on or off.

Better than open, covers the back seats well, fits well, sturdy materials and straps, 8/10 would buy again.

My comparison is the YJ Spiderwebshade I have, it's JUNK in comparison. I sent back the Gladiator variant and ordered the JTops. The cheap hook and ball connectors are stretched already. I like it doesn't flap like a Bestop bikini in the wind, but that's about ALL I like. Better than open, but not as good for that Jeep as a regular bikini. I'll go back to the bikini next summer.

So I'm in the market for a bikini top and I'm not overly impressed with the existing solid bikini top offerings out there (Bestop, mastertop, rampage, etc). The mesh tops like spiderwebshade, Jtops, alien shade, etc seem to be very popular. There are a number of threads out there that talk about the fit and finish of these tops but I'm wondering how well they do at actually providing shade?

On my old YJ I had a solid bikini top but I lived in MN then. I recently moved to AZ and love the climate but I'm worried that a mesh top might not provide enough shade. Anyone have advice on going with a solid style bikini top versus a mesh shade?

OP
OP
MrFahrenheit

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@brianinca Thanks! That feedback is very helpful. I did like the JTops one even if it is more $$$

JTWAVE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I'm in AZ and have the separate front and back bikini mesh tops. Sometimes the AZ sun is so intense I wish I had a solid bikini top. The positives of the separate mesh tops are that they are very secure and don't buffet in the wind at all. They can also be left on with the hard top, so you don't have to keep taking them off and putting back on again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrFahrenheit

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm in AZ and have the separate front and back bikini mesh tops. Sometimes the AZ sun is so intense I wish I had a solid bikini top.
Yeah, my plan was to be "topless" (bikini or mesh top) and doorless most of the fall/winter/spring and then have the hardtop back on for summer. I think the biggest negative to a solid bikini top is that it would certainly have to come off to get the hardtop secured whereas most of the mesh tops would allow for them to stay on if I needed to put the hard top back on.

I would hope me putting the Hardtop back on would be infrequent enough or not spur of the moment enough that taking a solid bikini top off would not be a pain but who knows. Not having to remove it (mesh top) is a pretty big positive.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator

Well, I did some extensive google image searching for both “bikini top” and “mesh top”.

I gotta admit, all research indicates I’m a huge fan.

OP
OP
MrFahrenheit

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@EddyArnold @jcarbs how are these for the rear passengers? One of the benefits of the Jtops one is that it seems to cover much more to the back:

b917e6_2b28179adce745b1bab7c1e83041c6de~mv2.png
Sponsored