Sponsored

How many miles on factory Falkens before needing replaced?

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
How many miles did you get our of your factory Falken tires before they needed to be replaced? (i.e. wore out, not just upgrading to a new tire before the Falkens reached end of life).

I've got 26,700 miles on my original Falken MTs and they're getting noticeably louder. They still have some decent tread remaining. I've done two tire (wheel) rotations so far (rears to fronts, and fronts crossed to rear, left the spare alone).

In the past 6 months they've been doing hauling (1,100 lb) and towing (2,900 lb) a couple times every week, so I'm not surprised about the wear. Overall I've been very pleased with their performance in all conditions, including New England winters, a few off road trails, daily driving, towing and hauling.

How many miles did your Falkens last? Please specify AT or MT, and roughly what sort of service they saw. I'm trying to gauge how much life might be left in mine.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
MT's wear MUCH faster than AT's, so you're not seeing anything unexpected. The significantly higher rolling resistance with MT's is a dead giveaway the wear is different to AT's or street tires.

25-30K on a set of muds is good tread life, in my book.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
How many miles did you get our of your factory Falken tires before they needed to be replaced? (i.e. wore out, not just upgrading to a new tire before the Falkens reached end of life).

I've got 26,700 miles on my original Falken MTs and they're getting noticeably louder. They still have some decent tread remaining. I've done two tire (wheel) rotations so far (rears to fronts, and fronts crossed to rear, left the spare alone).

In the past 6 months they've been doing hauling (1,100 lb) and towing (2,900 lb) a couple times every week, so I'm not surprised about the wear. Overall I've been very pleased with their performance in all conditions, including New England winters, a few off road trails, daily driving, towing and hauling.

How many miles did your Falkens last? Please specify AT or MT, and roughly what sort of service they saw. I'm trying to gauge how much life might be left in mine.
I think you need to rotate more often, IMO every 5k keeps everything wearing evenly, I X rotate right front to left rear and left front to right rear and vice versa, never have had any cupping or noise issues.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
MT's wear MUCH faster than AT's, so you're not seeing anything unexpected. The significantly higher rolling resistance with MT's is a dead giveaway the wear is different to AT's or street tires.

Agreed. That's decent mileage out of an M/T and still have decent tread. I rotate my M/T's religiously every 5K miles. I had 35K miles on a set of Toyo Open Country M/T's when I traded my '15 JKUR, and they still had a little usable tread left on them. Anxious to see how my current BFG KM3's wear.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry

This is good info. I had no idea. If and when I finally get some take offs I’ll be sure to get AT’s

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
We buy specialty tires for great performance on trails, mud, snow, etc. Any tire does its best when new, and its capability decreases steadily over the life of the tread.

OP
OP
wannajeep

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I think you need to rotate more often, IMO every 5k keeps everything wearing evenly,
Agreed. Circumstances this year have resulted in a less than ideal rotation schedule.

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
wannajeep

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR

Good to know. My previous JKR got about 40K on its factory MTs but it wasn't doing hardly any towing or hauling. I'm planning on switching to All Terrains when these Falken Mud Terrains wear out. The Falken MTs have been great but I must admit slight overkill for my applications. Makes sense than the more aggressive you get, the more you run into tradeoffs.

LR Novice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I’ve got 35000 on my Falken MTs and have tons of tread left. I rotate every oil change and keep them at 36psi. I tow frequently, off-road often and am not light on the gas pedal. I’ve been very surprised at how they have lasted. I’m actually a little disappointed as I would have liked to have replaced them with something larger by now.

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
I went 56000 miles on the ATs… then sold them for $150. Went with the Toyo OC 3. Sticking with the 33” tires. Is amazing how much quieter the Toyos are!

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Across several different 4x4's, I kept a set of muds for Summer and a set of AT's for the rest of the year. It's a little spendy up front, but it let us get more out of our vehicles. I still have a set of KM2's for my little Jeep, and that scratches my itch to do stupid things in the Summer, but the JTR is happy on AT's and doing truck things while also being great offroad.

Tires are the magic button for off-road upgrades, but you pay for it, and you have to pick and choose and balance priorities. Given how great the Falken AT take-offs are on my little Jeep, when the KM2's are dust I will definitely look at the Falken MT's!

Good to know. My previous JKR got about 40K on its factory MTs but it wasn't doing hardly any towing or hauling. I'm planning on switching to All Terrains when these Falken Mud Terrains wear out. The Falken MTs have been great but I must admit slight overkill for my applications. Makes sense than the more aggressive you get, the more you run into tradeoffs.